Trouble with my Geforce 4 TI 4400 and Win XP

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Spigot, May 11, 2002.

1. Spigot

Spigot ph34r the l33t ducky

Woohoo!

Well, the saga of Spig's Geforce looks to be drawing to a close, faithful viewers...

I installed the new 350W power supply tonight and man, everything seems to be running smoother, or at least faster... or maybe that's just me.

I played Medal of Honor for about an hour and a half or so, on the Normandy level, and there was nary a problem. I'll try out Morrowind and a couple other games first thing tomorrow just to make sure, but it looks like my problems are solved!

Thanks everyone for your help and for not making too much fun of me as I bumbled my way through this. I'm glad it was a hardware issue that was easily fixed rather than some silly driver issue or ghost in the machine that didn't like me for some reason.

*tips his hat to everyone at Driver Heaven*

2. Spigot

Grr...

I had to go and try out another game (Hostile Waters) before I went to bed...

crash...

try out the Squid G4 tech demo...

crash...

I'm glad I got the new PS, but why is my system crashing NOW?!

I'm hoping now that it's more of a software issue than a hardware one.

It wouldn't have something to do with my Soundblaster Live! would it? I didn't have any problems with it and XP when using the Voodoo 5...

---
    new w/ the edit
    ---
    I had Morrowind working again and played for more than an hour... no problems. Maybe the crash earlier with the older game was just a software issue...

3. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

Re: Grr...

yeah, but software issues are the hardest one to find and fix. I sure hope the new power supply did the trick...:D

Let us know as soon as you know yourself whether the problem is still there, we'll try to think of something else. But remember - its a good thing u have a new PSU - not a waste of money - 235W u had was too low anyway, even if that wasn't the cause of these crashes.

4. FastGame

FastGame New Member

Sorry to hear driver change didn't help , happy to hear you got a nice power supply things will be better in the long run. Here's a list of things I would like you to try and remember to do only one at a time then retest , if things don't work then reset to default before moving on to next setting. If you do it that way you'll know what the fix was plus you won't end up with a system out of whack from bunch of changes .

The first two things here you can set and leave as you set , no need to reset. Go to this Link Here and go through the list and disable or set to manual all the things your not using or don't need. Now while your in changing these services look for Nvidia Driver Helper & set it to disable or manual also. Then go to Start > Run , type in msconfig and in startup if Nvidia Driver Helper is there uncheck box. Now you can retest , if you still crash then move on to next settings but remember you can leave these settings as they are.

As far as the sound card ? yes SoundBlaster has been known to cause problems with all sorts of things , so just to make sure pull the card and test. If that works then try card in another PCI slot.

These things do one at a time....
    AGP aperture= 64 or 128
    AGP fast-writes= disable
    AGP 2X,4X= 2X , mine is set to 2X & benchmarks are very high , all demos and games run smooth as silk on ATI 8500 , Ti 4600. Things also run fine on my sys. at 4X , but give a try.
    AGP Compensation= disable , this is the one setting that no matter what if I have it enabled I will get tearing & crash on both the 8500 , Ti 4600 or any card for that matter ! I don't know about your mainboard or it's Bios so you may not have this or it may be called something else ? Thats why we want you to post your Bios & settings so the people with the experience in your hardware can see & help decide your settings.

If you want to learn more about your Bios it's settings and what they mean go here Link Here make sure you check out all sections of this site , there's also a Bios revision update there.

Keep everyone updated... :)

BTW: no one think's your Dumb , as a matter of Fact everyone know's that after you get your fix...you'll be Smarter :cool:

[edit]= spelling

5. Spigot

Tweaking away...

Ok. I had Morrowind crash this morning after maybe 40 minutes. Same old thing. Looks like the PS didn't help, at least not the way I wanted it to.

Ok. I'm now trying out some of Fast Game's tweaks. I dropped the AGP down to 2X and I have unselected the Nvidia Driver Helper from startup. Let's see what that does.

Now you were saying you wanted to see my BIOS... how would I go about posting my settings, or do I just have to write them all down. I have an Asus P4S333 Motherboard if that helps with anything. It's an Award bios.

Thanks again for the help all. You don't think it's the card causing the problems, do you? I can take it back within 14 days and get a new one if that is the case... which means I have about 9-10 days to go.

6. FastGame

FastGame New Member

RE: How to post Bios

First did you try pulling sound card and test , if not then do so just to get that out of the way.

I have ASUS A7M266 , so does your Bios have AGP Compensation ? if you have the Book for mainboard look through it. If you have the Manual you can scan & post settings or write your settings to note pad then paste. I know it's a hassle but not as much as Game crash. Your mainboard is newer than mine so you might have more up to date settings than me , but if you have AGP Compensation I would say your closer to a fix...maybe , hope :confused:

[edit]= I think you will be fixed in a short time , if not the you can decide if the card needs to be returned. I doubt it's the card , your problem is common in Win XP it's just a matter of settings....

7. Ryoko

Ryoko American Soldier

also, check device manager to see if your irq's are bundled...

8. Spigot

A clue!

Ok. I have been busy the last couple days, but today is my day off and I'm working on getting my computer working.

First off, it's still crashing. Warrior Kings won't even get me past the menu without crashing... HOWEVER, I've finally seen the XP blue screen of death and took a couple pictures of it so everyone can see the error message.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/spigot/puter3.jpg
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/spigot/puter4.jpg

I did remove my Soundblaster from the computer. I also did an install of XP over itself (the upgrade over a full version) to see if that would clear out some of the bugs. Alas.

It did reset the driver to 28.32 I believe

9. Spigot

A few other bits of info

Ok. I took a picture of my Nvidia info screen (lists all the drivers, etc) and also of the part on the box of my motherboard so that everyone can see what's on it.

Driver Info
    Box

I hope that helps!

I'll take a picture of my BIOS settings in a sec.

10. Spigot

11. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

Re: BIOS settings

If you're using SBLive in PCI slot all the time then disable the on-board sound in bios 6 option - http://www3.sympatico.ca/spigot/bios06.jpg

I don't know if I said this before - but are you using the latest drivers for your motherbaord? Especially the agp drivers. Go to asus site and make sure you have all the latest motherboard drivers installed for you motherboard - P4S333 isn't it?

Also try to drop down the APG Capability (http://www3.sympatico.ca/spigot/bios03.jpg) from 4x to 2x - just to see if that helps - if not - set it back to 4x

What else - you can see on asus website if there are any updates to your bios. I always use latest one. They even have a windows utility that will flash your bios for you in Windows!

Perhaps you can also try some latest beta drivers, see if they work better - 29.40 is the latest.

Check back when u tried everything I wrote here. Thanks! ;)

12. Spigot

Taking a bat to the computer now...

I've made sure there aren't any IRQ's doubled up, I've disabled the com ports, I've updated all the BIOS and AGP drivers and even put on the 29.40 Nvidia drivers... it STILL crashes within seconds of loading up Warrior Kings.

I only have my network card in the PCI slots now. I've removed the Soundblaster and it STILL crashes to the blue-screen w/ the message about infinite loops.

Now, Motherboard Manager is saying that my processor is running at around 51 degrees Celcius. The bios was saying it was lower though. (35 degrees C)

Sigh.

Should I take the card back and swap it for another one? I have until Friday of this week to do so. Let me know, and thanks for all your help everyone. I can't wait to get this resolved.

---
    Should I scrub XP and do a fresh full re-install? That's about the only thing I HAVE NOT tried.

13. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

I'll be honest with you - I had exactly same problem in WinXP with infinite loop error and stuff. It was ages ago and I'm trying hard to remember how I fixed it. I'm pretty sure that if u were to use win9x/ME u would have no problem.

I'm 100% sure that I did re-install XP a couple of times during my problem time with WinXP infinite loop error. I have done so many things to get rid of it that I don't remember which thing actually worked at the end. I'll suggest that u do re-install XP from scratch if possible, ie format the drive. While u doing that (if u decide to do it) and if u have time, u might want to prove my point that in win9x/me you wouldn't have any problems with the card. But u don't have2. Install XP and maybe, just maybe, the problem will be solved. In a mean-time, I'll do my hardest to remember what else I did during the time when I was fighting th infinite loop error....

14. Spigot

Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only person who has had that error. And if it's a software issue rather than hardware, at least I won't have to worry about trying to exchange my card.

I'll do a re-install of XP tomorrow (or late tonight) and see if that sets things right. I'll keep everyone posted but if anyone thinks of anything else that might be the cause or the solution, let me know!

Thanks again.

15. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

oh yeah, you wouldn't believe how many people get this error in XP all the time - it was thought that it was a via issue @ first, then ppl with non-via hardware proved otherwise. Then nVidia drivers were blamed, but even ATi users get it as well. In the end, I'm not sure if they found out the cause of the error. If any1 knows, let us know/remind us.

Btw, when u do a clean install of XP - make sure you grab every update from Microsoft Windows Update Site - just in case its M$ fault :D You never know...

16. Spigot

urk

If I just erase the Windows & Program Files directories, would that suffice? I don't know if I have enough room to back up most of the other things on my system...

That way I'd be rid of XP, but wouldn't have to re-format everything... ah, we'll see.

17. Spigot

IT CRASHED 3DMARK!

Ok. My system must be possessed.

I formatted my C drive. I reinstalled XP Home from scratch. I downloaded all the updates. I put on the 29.40 Detonators. I installed Jedi Knight 2 and Warrior Kings and patched them and bam. Crash city.

I even tried out 3DMark2001 and it died on the 3rd benchmark.

While I am not getting the blue screen with the infinite loop error, I am getting the same "hang for a few seconds to a minute then restart" problem. The 2D stuff seems fine, I'm only getting problems when I run a game or benchmark that uses 3D.

I was thinking that I might just drop down the the 'official' 28.32 drivers from Nvidia, but this is ridiculous.

I've even turned off all the sound (both onboard and PCI). The only cards in my system now are the GeForce4 and the NIC.

Sigh. Should I just take the card back and get another one? I'm really starting to get to the end of my rope here.

HELP!

18. Spigot

Hardware Accelleration

If I go into the ADVANCED display settings there is a tab marked TROUBLESHOOT. Under it is a little slider for Hardware Acceleration. Should I touch that at all?

I tried just turning it off, but then Jedi Knight said I had no 3D Accellerator.

I'm just grasping at straws here folks.

19. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

Re: IT CRASHED 3DMARK!

Before you decide to take the card back, maybe u should find out if its a software issue first. How? Install Win9x/ME and find out if you get the same sort of errors - ie sytem lock-ups, BSOD's, etc. If in Win9x/ME everything works like a charm, then u know that its a software issue. If it doesn't - chances are, its hardware to blame. I think that its your best bet - try to find out which 1 is it - software or hardware - and installing Win9x/ME should give u a good idea. I mean, you already formated the drive, so why not try it?

20. Spigot

Anorhwe weeoe mwaaFW

This is what I get sometimes after I reboot when the system crashes.
    ---
    The system has recovered from a serious error.
    ---
    I then click on the details and get this as the Error Signature
    ---
    BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 81427B38 BCP2 : 81502358 BCP3 : 81771C28
    BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0 Product : 768_1
    ---
    When I closed that window, I got another Serious Error Recovery message, this time with the following paramaters.
    ---
    BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 81404020 BCP2 : 815F1480 BCP3 : 816F9940
    BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0 Product : 768_1
    ----
    This is still with XP. I had 3 error messages crop up this time.
    This time there is no driver or device tagged as causing the problem, just that the system has recovered from a serious error.

I only started getting these after I put in the GeForce a week or so back...

First I'm going to re-install the 28.32 drivers.

Then I'm going to try to get my hands on a copy of 98 and see if that solves the problems. If not, back it goes!