Trouble with my Geforce 4 TI 4400 and Win XP

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Spigot, May 11, 2002.

1. Spigot

Spigot ph34r the l33t ducky

Trying the Visiontek Drivers

I spoke with a person at the local computer store and he mentioned that he had problems with all of the non-Asus drivers for his Asus Geforce4 ti4400... he had to use the ones by Asus or it just didn't work.

So I'm going to try out the Visiontek drivers... If it works, yippee! If not, I'm going to contact Visiontek and see what they tell me.

I might be able to get my hands on a copy of 98SE, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ah well. I did tell the people at EB (where I bought the card) that I will probably be back in a few days to swap the card for a new one. I almost hope it's the card and not software... but we'll see.

Thanks again all. I'll keep you posted on my continuing tale.

---
    [edited for baaaad grammar]

2. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

Re: Trying the Visiontek Drivers

Yeah, that would be best - because next time all u would have to do is plug the card in and play.

3. Pandur

Pandur New Member

I've run into the infinite loop error numerous times.

First I experienced it with the VIA chipsets.

Then I experienced it due to the dumb ACPI system in Win2k/WinXP.

And last but not least, I get it if I overclock my poor GF4 to much. :cool:

So, one small tip that might help: Go into device manager. At the top you should see computer. If you click the + infront of it or doubleclick it you'll get a subitem named Advanced Configuration and ........ computer, Standard PC, or Uniprocessor Computer. (I might be slightly off on the exact naming, but you should get the picture).
    One of these 3 should most likely be there. IF you don't have the Standard PC one you can try and "upgrade" the driver to the Standard PC one. This will disable ACPI, and with most new mobos it will also disable the advanced powersupply functions. So you will have to manually turn off your comp when you turn it off. :( But except for that it will work just like before. Only without the nasty BSOD's. I've built a couple computers where this was the only solution to get rid of infinite loop errors and/or Irqn_not_less_or_equal.

So it could be worth a try before you return a possibly fully functioning gfx-card.

Oh and one more thing, I see that's a SiS based motherboard. You might need some SiS chipset drivers!?? (I've never owned a SiS mobo, so I'm just checking, since I got no clue).

4. Spigot

Thanks!

I just got off the phone with the guy from Visiontek and he pretty much echoed what you said Pandur. I went into the BIOS and turned off the PnP OS setting and manually set the IRQ for the vid card to 11, which is what it is supposed to be at (for some reason). I tested your way of turning off the ACPI and 3DMark is running splendidly (ran it 3 times w/ various settings, no crash... ran the demo, no crash)...

I'm going to reformat anyway because XP will recognize that the Vid Card is on IRQ 11 now and I'll also get back my ACPI... And I only have a couple things on this drive since I just reformatted a day or two ago :p

Thanks to everyone though. Hopefully this will be my second last post on this thread (thank god). I'll drop a line once I've run a few games for a bit reliably.

5. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

Well, if it has worked all I can say is great work Pandur! I wasn't aware that ACPI could cause this mess. However, like u said, other things cause the error too, like bad memory or when u overclock too much or run crap drivers...but in this case with Spigot, I hope that it is ACPI - then he's problems would be solved. Thanks for the post Pandur.

6. Spigot

Wrapping up this thread...

Well, I have been playing Jedi Knight 2 for the last, what, 3 hours... nary a problem has occured.

It was the IRQ settings that were the issue. I had to set my PC as a Standard PC... now the card is working fine (yay) but there are TWO standard PC's under the Computer setting in my Device Manager for some reason. I've noticed that my system isn't acting a little slow every so often too... Is it safe to uninstall one of those Standard PC entries, or should I just leave it?

Thanks again to everyone for their help. I should have just called Visiontek, oh, 2 weeks ago, but now I've learned much more about reinstalling XP and tweaking my BIOS than I ever expected to :)

See ya!

7. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

ok you guys im going to keep this thread alive a while longer

ive read all 3 pages of this thread, much of it made sense and much didnt, but i have something else to add. i've been having the same exact problems with my computer. my sys specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    GeForce2 Ti 32mb DDR 4x AGP
    Windows XP Corp
    512mb SDRAM
    (thats basically all thats nessecary)

now, i've been studying through all this junk and i've actually followed a different path. i've studied deeply the software settings and BIOS stuff. As i would play an opengl game, such as Jedi outcast or Metal of honor, i would have the same crashes, yet, rarely-to-none ever crashing in Unreal Tournament on opengl settings. i FINALLY came out with the definite conclusion that my problems have been created because of generic opengl extensions in quake 3 engine games (or at least for the most part). if anyone has played soldier of fortune 2, you'll know that in the video settings you can enable/disable generic and nvidia/ATI extensions. it took a few tries and many restarts, but i found that nvidia extensions are no problem for me...yet the generics will indefinitly crash me in 2 minutes or less if they are enabled. if disabled, however, i can play the game as long as i wish but with terrible performance. now, from this i concluded that maybe it was a driver problem. i tried many drivers, ranging from 14.10 - 29.40. ALL of them keep me crashing, just some make it look better than others. as Mark_fox says, windows ME does NOT crash. i have a dual install of XP and ME on my system. i try it with ME and it runs forever and smooth with opengl enabled totally, yet the lag is more than should be. so, i have been in a tight spot. i've been messageboard hopping (http://www.guru3d.com/forum/read_msg.php?tid=2103&forumid=detonator) and talking with many people, reading anything i can find. this thread however caught my attention in its deepness and the fact that it follows a different path of fixing it as i have. if anyone, or even spigot, mark-fox, or fastgame know of this information of opengl to be true, please say something. otherwise, im going to try what spigot did. i dont have a GF4, but the standard PC thing you talked about kind of intrigued me to look into it. well, please someone reply to this and at least let me know that it will help me more to do what spigot did rather than killing myself over opengl. thanks

8. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

This is very intriguing what u just posted. I haven't come across the generic OpenGL extensions explanation as to the infinite loop error. You mean that Direct3D games don't crash at all on your XP system? Interesting...you said however that you tried many drivers so perhaps we can rule out nVidia drivers issue in this case - providing that you do a clean install of every driver in XP - by following my guide to clean install that I posted in this thread earlier. Perhaps you ought to try what spigot did, I don't think it can hurt and might fix your problem. Try it and see what happens, then report back.

9. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

thats correct

no, direct3d games do not crash my system, although it isnt as smooth as opengl. thats why i want opengl to work so bad, because any quake 3 engine game wont run, its basically an opengl game, but can be disabled if needed. im going to try what spigot did, and once i try that i will make sure i post my results on here. 3 pages is alot to read over for directions again, so i just want to confirm what im to do:

(in no specific order as of yet)
    1. Change BIOS AGP fastwrites to disabled
    2. (this is a maybe) change AGP apurature
    3. reinstall XP
    4. install latest and best performing drivers (for me so far is 28.32)
    5. do that ACPI thing you spoke of, i'll have to re-read over that one.
    6. ?

before i go and start, i wanna make a checklist of it all so im not forgetting anything. remember anything important mark_fox?

- oh btw i forgot to add my 3dmark2001 score on here. its not as good as i hoped it to be, but its 4308 -

- oh, about the ACPI thing. where do i got the drivers to update my "advanced computer" to just a standard PC? no clue where -

10. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

yeah, if you're re-installing XP that's all fine. But if you don't want to - u might just do a clean install of drivers instead.

Don't worry about drivers for that, XP has these build-in ;)

11. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

ya

well i read that spigot was supposed to update his drivers and make his system a "standard PC", and mine is currently an ACPI PC. i thought i had to downgrade drivers or somethin of that sort. also another thing. spigot was editing the actual BIOS on startup, rather than using some type of BIOS flasher correct? im going to restart the system and go into setup and see what i have to work with. be back in a bit...

12. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

yeah, just follow what Pandur said about the standard PC bit but don't worry about drivers for that because Windows XP already has them build in.

13. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

14. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

nope sorry, I can't see these pictures

15. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

16. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

try to force IRQ for the video card to 11 - its at 10 at the moment - u gonna need to do it in the bios like Spigot did earlier, ie - go into the BIOS and turned off the PnP OS setting and manually set the IRQ for the vid card to 11

17. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

ok now what

alright my IRQ is at 11 now. anything else? i tried playing a game with IRQ at 11 and it still crashed.

18. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

yeah, reinstall xp with the drivers u like best, get rid of advanced acpi, fastwrites in bios set to disabled, etc...like u said earlier

19. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

ahh crap

seems like everything is going wrong. i cant find out where to disable fastwrites again because my BIOS doesnt show it and i used to use GTU to enable/disable it and now its acting up. any other way to do it?

- one other thing. i tried disabling ACPI in BIOS, then when i tried to load XP it wouldnt. -

20. Spigot

Did you try...

Turning off the Plug & Play OS in your BIOS?

I had to do that in order to have the card work properly.

What IRQ is your vid card at in XP? (go in the Device Manager and click on View and Resources by Type and then look at the IRQ settings)

Oh, and to get the Standard PC setting, you do click on the UPGRADE DRIVER button. Then choose the PC setting (Standard PC was at the bottom of the list I looked at)

Yeah, you're downgrading, but you still have to click the upgrade button...

That's about all I can really contribute to this. The only other thing I'd suggest would be calling the company that made the card. That (and Pandur's suggestion, which came at about the same time) were the only way I was able to truly get the card working properly.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, 3 days of pure, non-crashing Geforce 4 bliss :) I can game again! Hallelujiah ;)