Trouble with my Geforce 4 TI 4400 and Win XP

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Spigot, May 11, 2002.

1. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

thanks

thanks man. but if i can ask one favor of ya, dont stop checking this thread cuz i might miss something or need to ask something more of you in detail. i most likely believe we have the same problem, it just takes people working together to fix it sometimes. oh, and congrats :D

2. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

ARGH

dangit i did what ya said. put it in standard PC mode (when i restarted the system, it started to re-recognize every piece of hardware on it, as if it were new or somethin). maybe i dont have the IRQ set correctly cuz when i set it, something else uses IRQ11 at the same time. how to i make it do only display adapter (i think thats the name of it) for 11? the bios from what i can tell doesnt let me specifically set an IRQ for something, instead it gives me a list of all the IRQs to choose from and lets me assign the PCI to it or the ISA to it. well anyway thanks.

3. Spigot

Spigot ph34r the l33t ducky

That shouldn't be too hard.

Can you take a screenshot or list off what is on which IRQ?

I'll keep checking this thread till it dies :)

Hopefully we can get it all sorted out. Or maybe Pandur will come to our rescue again!

BTW, what is the name of that track that plays on the flash version of your site?

4. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

GeEsH!

:mad: alright. im gettin ticked folks. this stuff still doesnt work. heres a list of things i've done:

- set AGP from 4x to 2x
    - checked aperture and it was at 64mb on a 32mb DDR card
    - set comp stats to Standard PC rather than ACPI
    - disabled fastwrites
    - disabled sideband addressing
    - set all opengl settings to lowest quality
    - got semi new drivers (ones that benchmark the best scores)
    - tried to figure out the IRQ thing, but failed at it.

the only thing i havent done is fix the IRQ number for my vid card. i dunno if thats a big deal or not, but right now its not seeming like it would be. if it is, can someone explain it to me? its the only thing i dont understand what is out of all this...besides WHY it wont work yet. i dont want to have to wait till opengl 2.0 comes out, if that would even help, and who even knows when that'll be. anyone else have any idea on what to DO?!

- i'll take a pic of what each IRQ is referenced to as soon as i find my digital camera some new batteries -

5. Spigot

save the batteries

Get to the Device Manager and open up the Resources by Connection as I instructed in the previous post...

then, with the IRQ settings window selected as your active window, press CTRL+Printscreen button (over there above the Insert & Delete buttons... the button that never ever gets pressed)

Then open up MSPaint, Paintshop Pro, whatever graphical editor you use...

Go to Edit, then Paste as New Image...

that should take a screenshot of the active window.

Saves you the hassle with the batteries.

And I don't want to get your hopes up too high, but after 3 pages of my banging my head against the wall here, fixing the IRQ setting was the only thing I had to do in order to get my card working (well, changing the ACPI setting in order to rectify the IRQ settings too, but...)

Granted, I'm new at this Geforce meets WinXP stuff. I've been a 3DFX/Voodoo guy ever since the original 4MB Monster 3D... but that won't stop me from having problems!

6. SkyWalker901

SkyWalker901 New Member

Same prob I'm facing, with more details

I'm having the exact same prob as u guys. But I can play OpenGL games perfectly like Serious Sam, Unreal Tournament and Jedi Knights 2, but all DirectX games like Dungeon Siege and M&M 9 will always crash! Even when I'm using IE6, my PC will also hang with the same nv4_disp.dll causing infinite loop error.

Like I mentioned in my previous thread, I ran DirectX Diagnostic Tool, and the fullscreen bouncing test for DirectDraw will always fail when I've Detonator drivers (28.32 and 29.40) installed. I suspect this is causing the constant crashing.

I'm using 350W PSU, and I don't think that's the cause.

Does anyone have a solution pls???

--------------------
    Intel P4 2.0A GHz
    MSI 645 Ultra m/b
    512MB Kingston PC2700 DDR RAM
    ViewSonic VX500 LCD monitor
    Leadtek A250TD (GeForce 4Ti 4400)
    Audigy soundcard
    Altec Lansing 2100 speakers
    Ricoh CDRW 32x/10x/40x 8MB
    Pioneer DVD 16x/40x
    Seagate 60GB ATA100 7200rpm
    Sony 1.44 FDD
    Logitech Cordless Optical keyboard/mouse
    SMC 10/100 Ethernet card

7. Spigot

uh oh

Have you reinstalled XP?

That might fix your DX problems.

8. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

ya

well see i knew how to do the printscreen thing, but i was checking the IRQs in BIOS...cant take a screenshot of that. but now that i know i can change the IRQs in XP, then i'll do that, and i already have my computer at standard PC mode. should i change the IRQ and then put it in standard PC mode after, or is it ok to have it in standard PC mode first and then change the IRQ? either way ima try it. ;)

oh, and skywalker, i've seen your problem on other message boards too. just go to http://www.guru3d.com and check out their message boards, they may have your fix. lucky, i can play D3D games nicely and no crashing.

*oh and one more thing, jedi knight 2 is an opengl game ;)*

9. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

oh one moer thing

so now im at the IRQs and i can see my vid card is at IRQ-10 and my network card is at IRQ-11.

-first of all, tell me how to change it cuz im looking all around and i cant see how in the world to change it (watch it be something simple...)

-second, i read that IRQs give the resources to the devices, but explain to me how this can really fix it? i trust it did fix yours but on my quest to fix my computer, i would also like to learn what each thing does.

[edited] - now, the thing about IRQs that doesnt make sense to me is that the IRQs are the same in winME and winXP i believe...and the games run fine in ME, just laggy. mebbe im wrong, thats why i'd like to learn about it too.

[edited] - one more thing. how do you know that it must be on IRQ-11? is that just for your videocard, or is it basic for all videocards? because i saw your vidcards old IRQ was 16 and then you set it at 11, mine is at 10, should it be at 11 too? i just wanted to check because the visiontek guy may have said it was standard for your vidcard or somethin.

10. Spigot

it is standard

IRQ is the setting that the visiontek Geforce4's need to be on.

So this IRQ swap might not help at all... I'm just telling you what I did to get mine working.

Maybe someone who has experiences with the earlier Geforces can help. My G4 is the first non-3DFX card I've used.

Now, to swap the settings, you just have to figure out what slot your card is in and assign it as such.

Slot 1 is also the AGP slot (when it's all assigned)... so set that to 11 in your BIOS, set your Network Card to something else and just make sure that all of your settings don't conflict.

Other than that, I'm fresh out of ideas. You'll have to pick the brains of Pandur or someone who knows :)

Oh, and it doesn't make a difference if you switch to Standard PC first or not before messing around with the BIOS. Supposedly if you change the BIOS settings and reinstall XP, it'll pick it up and you won't have to use the Standard PC setting, but that didn't happen on my system. I had the BIOS settings adjusted and reformatted and reinstalled XP but I still had to dumb the system down to Standard rather than ACPI settings.

11. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

hmm

so your saying that AGP slots use IRQ-11? cuz my card is an AGP, that can help to know that. also, you say if i can fix the BIOS problem, and THEN reinstall XP it'll be ok with ACPI? how does being in standard PC help then? just in the changing of IRQs? cuz when i try to change it, it says that my vidcard isnt plug-n-play compa....wait a second...i think i know how to do something!!! be back later :D

12. Spigot

SUPPOSEDLY reinstalling XP after tweaking the BIOS IRQ settings was supposed to let me use ACPI and have the card on the right IRQ... but it didn't...

That's why I had to drop to Standard PC.

And yes, my AGP card is set to IRQ 11 and the AGP slot and PCI slot 1 are considered the same by the BIOS (that's why you never put something in the first PCI slot if you have an AGP card installed)

13. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

ya thats right

ya thats also why you cant physically put anything in the first PCI slot either ;)

problem - i cant change the IRQs. there IS a way i can assign a certain IRQ to either PCI/ISA or ISA. i'll give you the example.

in startup BIOS i change IRQ-10 (which my vid card is on) so that maybe everything will boost up one and my networking card will move to 12 and vidcard will move to 11. well, for some reason it doesnt work that easy. my vid card moves to 12 and networking card says at 11 :( so i gotta find another way to do that. any ideas? cuz before i reinstall XP i need to fix this

14. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

make sure you disable plug and play in the bios - it will be called something like PNP OS or something like that - set that to off or disabled. That might help with irq thingy ;) and in the bios u should have option to set each irq number to a device, well, I do anyways...how does ur bios look like with regards to irq settings?

15. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

weird weird weird whooa...

DEWD! alright this is what i did, i figured that since i cant make my vid card replace my networking card at IRQ-11, then i would take my networking card out. sure enough, my videocard moved up to IRQ-11 on its own. well, i started up a game, Soldier of Fortune 2, that usually will crash after a bit of playing. I did so and my hopes were very high and nothing would happen. well, i keep playing for must of been about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden ::crash:: and i get sad...but heres the weird part. all of a sudden when it crashes i hear these REALLY loud and random screeches emitting from my speakers. at first its alot of different screeches at once, and then after about 30 seconds it turned into one big long screech. i couldnt take it any longer so i shut the computer off. everything was perfect according to what you people told me to do, maybe this is a clue? someone help! :confused: i've already put my networking card back in (as u can see) and im looking for other ways to go about this.

16. Hog54

Hog54 New Member

Well i have been reading this whole thing and i dont know why you are having problems.i have none at all running xp with my ti 4400 card .my gforce card,creative sound card,realtek network card,hollywood plus card all use the same irq no9 and no problems.i asked at amd motherboard forums should they all be on irq 9 and my answers were thats how xp assigns them and there should be no problem and there isnt.did you get all the windows updates cause i know theres one there for a crashing problem in xp?also there is a directx 8 dll update at windows site that i had to get to run the new grand theft auto 3.it is d3d8.dll,that might solve some problems
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Patch/Q306676/WXP/EN-
    US/Q306676_WXP_SP1_x86_ENU.exe.
    you wiil get error when you clk on this url ,just clk on underlined _download.microsoft.com and you will get there,then clk keyword search and put in d3d8.dll and you will get it. :D

17. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

johnandrew, I think its time for you to re-install XP from scratch, unless you already did that?

btw, if u can, leave AGP card @ IRQ 11 - if u can't do it in the bios - try to move network card about from PCI slot to PCI slot untill u get the desired result. If you can't however make AGP card on IRQ 11 without removing network card - just leave it, maybe when u re-install XP it won't matter.

BTW, always make sure u have latest drivers for sound card, motherboard, etc plus all updates from windows update site.

18. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

man o man

i keep reading on all of these other message boards about how people EXACTLY like me are having my problems, and its making me sick because each of them have a different solution to this problem...yet nothin has helped me yet. i read that it could be a RAM stick problem, somethin about the mobo being picky on what kinds you use. thats been true for me before and i fixed it, but i thought what the heck i might as well try it. im off to do that, if i find anything else out i'll let ya kno. :sigh:

19. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

SWEEEET!!

OH THE EXCITEMENT! i FIXED IT! guess what it was. it was a stick of RAM. i have 2 256mb pc133 RAM sticks and mobos tend to be picky about that kind of thing (especially if its different manufacturers), so i decided to take out one RAM stick. booted up, loaded metal of honor and guess what, no crash whatsoever. loaded jedi outcast, no crash and superb opengl happiness! i think you all who have this problem should try this! thank you again mark_fox and spigot for all your help too.

see ya :D

20. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

hehe... :lol: we should have looked @ hardware problem first I guess, oh well, at least it fixed now :)