Trouble with my Geforce 4 TI 4400 and Win XP

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by Spigot, May 11, 2002.

1. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

ahhh additional info

i talked to my A+ certified bud and told him what i did to fix it, and he told me that AMD's (athlon XP's or all i believe) seem to have problems with RAM for some reason. he's not totally sure about all of it so thats all that he told me. mebbe someone can read up on it and we can post this message for all geforce and AMD owners to read! cuz i kno i wish i had known all this 6 months ago! lol :D

2. Hog54

Hog54 New Member

I dont think ram is the problem i have 2 different sticks of pc133 256 sticks in mine and have never had a crash or anything.if you guys are overclocking that may be the problem? and im in the amd motherboard forum almost everyday and never heard of a xp ram problem :confused:

3. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

4. Spigot

Spigot ph34r the l33t ducky

Congrats...

Glad you were able to solve your problem.

Man, I didn't realize exactly how touchy these video cards were till now. Yeesh!

Enjoy Jedi Knight 2 and MoH... I'm loving them both... just picked up Soldier of Fortune 2 today, but I think I'm going to trade it back and put the money towards Neverwinter Nights, which I really want.

Toodles!

5. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

oh i forgot

i forgot to tell ya this but im new at this geforce stuff too since about jan 2002. i had a voodoo4 before that and before that, well, i wasnt into gaming. gave my voodoo4 over to a friend so he can play games too. ya i didnt think vidcards were that sensitive either. btw, if i were you, i'd try SoF2 for a while, even make a copy of it, because its such a good game (even if most of what i've played was in winME lag lol). anyway, thanks to all again. peace

6. tiznott

tiznott New Member

Infinite loop error

For those struggling with this problem, the best article i've found on the subject is here :

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64

Good luck

(still struggling)

7. Axis

Axis New Member

It is confirmed btw, I have a friend that Im helping over the internet and phone to fix his problem. He has a MSI G4 ... and to make a long story short OpenGL mode in games would freeze his puter up withing 5-10 mins of play everytime.

I found this thread by pure accident and kept following it. I told him to

PNP OS to NO

then in his device manager set ACPI or wutever to Standard PC ... turned off puter and rebooted after 20 secs, it found alot of hardware, rebooted again ... he played his game for like 30 mins with no crashes or problems.

Seems this is a valuable fix.

Thx guys,
    Axis

----------------
    Asus A7v333 (RAID)
    AMD Anthlon XP 2100+ (1.73)
    1 Gig PC2700 Samsung 333
    HEC 350 watt Power supply
    ATX Platinum case
    SB Audigy Platinum
    VisionTek G4 Ti4600 128 DDR Ram

8. Hog54

Hog54 New Member

Mine is set to standard pc by default,i dont know why you guys computers would say anything else :confused:

9. johnandrew

johnandrew New Member

maybe

it might be that your motherboard isnt ACPI compliant. mine is so my computer was in ACPI by default, i set it to standard pc... once i found out its my RAM, i didnt need standard PC, which is why ima reinstall. :)

10. Mookie

Mookie New Member

If spigots solution doesn't work try to change the ACPI driver to 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface[ACPI] PC'. That solved all my problems without having to change irq.

11. James Foo

James Foo New Member

Followed everything to a T

God bless my soul! I hv been following this thread with great interest, coz I face the same problem which has bugged me for 3 months now. Basically, the same lockup and blue screen thingie. I tried Spigot's method and here's what I did:

1) checked and rechecked my power supply (it's 350W)
    2) clean install of Omega Nividia driver (removed old registry values)
    3) changed BIOS from PnP OS to "no"
    4) "update" ACPI PC to Standard PC.

Here's what happened: graphics were excellent with Omega drivers, and I could play CS OpenGL mode for 40mins straight, THEN IT CRASHED!!! :dead:

I'll appreciate any help here as I am now on the ledge!! :p
    My specs are:

AMD Athlon 1800+ (1.56G)
    Soltek SL-75DRV2 Socket A
    256DDR RAM Kingston
    Leadtek GF2 Ti 64MB
    SB Live! 5.1
    30 + 10 GB Maxtor/Seagate

Thks guys!