True Crypt Disk Encryption Software

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by TJ-, Nov 3, 2006.

1. TJ-

TJ- New Member

Does anyone have any experience with this program?

http://www.truecrypt.org

Im looking to encrypt a External Harddrive, Sata2, 3 Partitions, from prying eyes...

Need some advise...:hmm:

Basically want to know what kind of problems i could run into...

2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Been testing it for about four months, though not exactly on a daily basis. It's been stable and easy to use. Before creating a large encrypted container/volume you should think about how tough encryption you will really need since the heavier ones are quite demanding. There's a benchmark tool built in that could simplify the decision.

3. TJ-

TJ- New Member

which is a better encryption based on security and performance average...

AES or Blowfish ?

4. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Blowfish is considered a bit weak today, but still fine if you mostly need to hide files from "joe users" that aren't likely to spend the time and computing resources trying to break it. The encryption method named Twofish performs better than AES on my system, with about the same level of security. But it's possible that the performance differs in between systems. Compare results between the 256bit cryptos AES, Twofish and Serpent if you believe that someone with dedicated intent and computing resources would want to access your files.

5. TJ-

TJ- New Member

Cool. Just need to clarify a few things before i format my partitions.

- Once encrypted i can still add/remove data on the drive right?

- And If i format the partition again if i dont want it to be encrypted anymore can i do so? Or will i have to reformat the whole drive to remove the encryption?

6. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

As I understand it, you have full read/write access once an encrypted volume is successfully mounted.

7. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Yeah it's pretty straightforward. If you like, try it out with a small encrypted container volume first to see how it works.

8. TJ-

TJ- New Member

Ok i encrypted a drive by formatting it. It went sucessfull.

Problem is, the drive shows in windows explorer, and without a password any user has the option to format it.

I can mount the drive no problem it shows as drive J, and the partition which is empty shows as drive E.

Basically is someone couldnt get access to the drive they could easilly format it. How do i hide or get rid of drive E so it only shows when the password is entered?

im trying the TC forums but they arnt much help...

edit: seems drive E is 0bytes, i tried to format just to see what would happen and it says drive E is unabled to be formatted.

But its still there... would really love to see it gone...

If i hide the drive through the registry, it will still be viewable on other computers right?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/93573.mspx

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  9. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

It's not possible to protect the data from being deleted or otherwise destroyed, especially since it's an external drive with which someone could just take the drive to another computer. You'll need backups to cover for such things.

10. TJ-

TJ- New Member

loll this is the backup...

suppose i go do a backup of a backup, but where would it stop, backup of a backup of a backup... :D

I suppose this will have to do, i have it safe from getting to the info, now just gotta keep the drive safe from getting stolen, which in itself is another feat.