Turning my tablet into a credit card processing device

Discussion in 'Smartphone & Tablets Discussion / Support' started by Sondra Draper, May 4, 2016.

1. Sondra Draper

Sondra Draper Member

I have and android tablet and an Ipad, can I turn them into a credit card processing device? I own a small business and I am considering upgrading my business’ point of sale system (POS) to one that runs on a mobile tablet. What do you think should I use for the POS system, the android tablet or Ipad?

2. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

Yes you can do it - quite a few places offering that service now.

Personally, I think the integration on the ipad is a bit better.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Mixed opinion but i find this seems to depend on the laws that you are required to follow per whatever country/province/region/state you live in as well as as other factors on what is available. Due to security issues, you might be required to only get what is provided by specific certified credit card/interact processing companies.... I know in canada, at least where i am, if i were to simply order an item that could do it through the states and try and manage it myself... and if something went wrong or i was caught, the shit i would be in would be extremely serious. Various processing companies handle all the security and transactions at various levels that comply with the regulations thoroughly, and unfortunately as a private business, the costs of setting up something like that is astronomical, and in fact impossible where i live, which requires me to order the product through said processing company.

As far as using it, (i don't personally have a need for such things, i still occasionally barter instead of taking cheque/credit card/cash... i have ended up with food instead, but i have a few customers that do process using it and was initially questioned on this.... suffice it to say ran into the issue and eventually went through a service/company that handled it... bought the adapters to attach and either samsung or iphone tablet/phone seemed to work without a single hitch.

4. relishape

relishape New Member

In my opinion, you could either use an android or ios for your method of transactions. I think, that's the new payment service system called Apple pay or Samsung pay. You payplug to scan credit cards.

5. Sondra Draper

Sondra Draper Member

I saw a company online that offers credit card machines that accept Apple pay and Samsung pay, I'm not sure what POS to get, but probably it's either Ingenico or Verifone as both accepts payment from chip cards and digital wallet.

6. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I don't know exactly what you want to do since I'm not that well informed about such things. All I can say that at work we use iZettle for credit card payments by our customers. It's by far the cheapest for us, the fee's are much lower than any other service avaliable, at least here in Sweden.
    It can be used by both iOS and Android devices through bluetooth.

I don't know if it's avaliable all over the world yet though.

7. itsinfo

itsinfo New Member

Great advice, also from Canada. Merchants can truly get into trouble with compliance issues when dealing with lackluster security... Losing credit card numbers can cost your business.

In the same notion, there is ways around this. Is you business in Canada or the US? Canada has been into EMV for some time, but it's a new trending concept in the US. It's going to benefit your business having a quality EMV machines to accept the new wave of payment tech, although mobile readers for devices such as your phone or tablet are becoming more common, still expensive, still quality issues on some.

Another option is to try a hybrid terminal, or a semi-integrated POS. This is POS software that works with a payment terminal for accepting credit cards, yet never passes the sensitive data from the terminal to the POS software, keeping all sensitive data where it should be.