TV card keeps muting master volume

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rfxcasey, Apr 20, 2009.

1. rfxcasey

rfxcasey New Member

I am having an issue where my FM radio on my PVR TV expert card keeps muting my master volume. I never had this problem before. I have used it with the KX project previously but never had this problem. It also worked fine with the WMD drivers for my sound blaster live card. I have the internal output from the FM card running into the aux input on my SB card. Normally I would just go into my FM card configuration and select the aux for the volume control but now it is only giving my the option to use the wave in. The TV audio works fine and doesn't mute my master volume but every time start the FM stereo it automatically mutes the master volume in my KX mixer. When this happens the FM audio still works but all my wave sounds are muted until I unmute in the KX mixer and turn the volume up. It's annoying. When I go into the AC 97 section and adjust the aux control the volume on my FM card is ajusted accordingly but just when I start the FM or shut it down it mutes my master volume. In the FM card config it only gives me the option to control the volume with the wave in which never happened before. I used to have the option to control the volume with the aux. Any ideas would be great.

2. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Happened to me as well few years ago. Never managed to fix it IIRC.

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

First off, I do not have any TV card, but...

Do you have kX Wave 0/1 selected as the device to use for audio playback?

Are you configuring the Recording Line or the Audio Output Control Line? (I am not sure why wave in would be listed for Audio Output).

Although you will not be able to select AUX, you should be able to select kX0/kX1, which can be used to control the volume of any signal (i.e. AUX In) in the DSP, with the help of other plugins such as: http://www.driverheaven.net/effects-dsp/159356-new-plugins-use-kx0-kx1-sliders-windows-mixer.html

As for the muting, I am not sure why it would do that... What is it supposed to do in that situation? I cannot think of anything kX related that should effect that (but again, without knowing what it is trying to do, it is hard to say). I do not know... double check all settings in your TV/FM-Card software (maybe there is some option that you missed, that toggles this muting behavior?).

4. rfxcasey

rfxcasey New Member

What I am trying to do is just get normal functionality out of my TV/FM tuner card. Only when starting or stopping the FM tuner does the master volume slider in the kx driver config screen move the way down as low as it can go. I am using whatever the default device kx used initially. I believe it is 0/1. I do not think I have overolooked anything in the tuner card config or app and have used it perfectly with the WDM drivers many times before. I just have other major issues witht the WDM drivers and the kx usually work better for most things although require more tinkering.

5. rfxcasey

rfxcasey New Member

I know it's been a while but I'm back and have pretty much the same issues except I have since reinstalled windows. I installed the latest stable kx drivers. I now have an issues where if I start IL-2 sturmovik (a flight simulator) while using ventrillo (a voice chat app) the master volume in my kx mixer is muting. I am wondering if this all has something to do with the recording device selected being in use by an application when another application tries to initialize the same device. Does that make sense to anyone? For instanance IL-2 has an ingame voice chat option that can be enabled or disabled. I am at work now and have just thought of this so I will experiment when I get home but, it may be that while ventrillo is active and using the mic in when IL-2 comes along and tries to initialise that device the master volume is muted for some strange reason. I am also having a small issue where when my windows starts before I see the kx project logo I don't here my windows startup sound. Through my desktop speakers. I have a live drive with my headphones hooked up to it and I can here the startup sound through those but not the speakers on my desk. After the KX project logo appear I get sound through both my headphones and desktop speaker. It's not really that big of an issue just strange and I would like to know what is causing that. Any feedback on either issue would be welcome. Thanks.:duh:

6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Regarding the startup sounds, do you have only 2 speakers using the analog rear jack of the sound card? That could cause that behavior since kX's Swap Front and Rear setting is not going to be active until kxmixer starts and restores settings (i.e. before kX starts, the sounds are going to your front speaker jack (which under the above scenario has nothnig connected to it), but after kX starts, the sounds go to the rear speaker jack).

Regarding the muting issue, do any of these programs have speech recognition? I have seen issues with speech recognition where sometimes it works (regarding muting) opposite of how it should (but really it should be effecting the Master Recording Level, and not the Master Volume Level, but if it is set wrong it might effect Master Volume). I do not know, just a thought.

7. rfxcasey

rfxcasey New Member

We'll now that I think of it you are probably 100% correct about the startup sounds. I do remember always having to have the "swap front and rear channels" checked in the past and now it is not.

As for the speach recognition, simply put, no. However they do support voice activation if that mean anything. As with most things it may just come down to having things configured properly in the kx mixer. I love the power that the kx project provides although sometimes at the cost of complicating things.

I'll have another go at tinkering and see what I come up with. If anything it would probably be good to document. If I have no success I think I will try installing the latest beta drivers but I do strongly believe this my be a configuration issue with the slight chance that this is a possible bug I have uncovered.

Let me know your thoughts on the voice activation.

8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member