TV-Out option always greyed out

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by tek, Feb 20, 2005.

1. tek

tek New Member

I cant get the TV-Out option in "Displays" to show up as a regular button and not greyed out for the life of me. It's been like this ever since like Catalyst 4.3 -- I've tried different S-video cables, and even tried the old school cable with the white, yellow, and red connectors to TV then s-video into video card, but to no avail... NOTHING will work.

I've emailed ATI about it but they never gave me a response, I'm hoping Terry Makedon sees this and hopefully knows a solution...

I also ready somewhere on ATI site that this is a common error if you have SP2 on Windows XP... so I'm trying to find out if that is true, can anybody conclude with that? I'm sure theres a few of you with Windows XP SP2 and ATI 9500 - 9800 series cards that could tell me if that statement by ATI is true.

Here's my specs
    Windows XP SP2 with all latest patches
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro using S-Video to S-Video cable
    Latest Omega Radeon drivers
    And some other stuff that doesnt matter

Oh and this problem occurs on two of my systems, this one which is a P4 2.4C, with Asus P4C800-ED Deluxe and BBATI 9800 pro, and the other which is an AMD XP 1700 with Abit NF7-S 2.0 mobo and Sapphire ATI 9500 Pro.
    BTW both of the systems are running Windows XP SP2 with all patches

I'm pretty sure its not the cable since I've tried 3 different cables, and pretty sure its not the TV set because it has worked before on it.

It's weird really, because it used to work, but at random times, like it would show up as un-greyed one day then the next day I couldnt get it to show up at all... looks like ATI just f**ked up on this, pretty shitty if you ask me, this feature is a must have (at least for me)

Thanks for any responses...
    -tek

2. Spyre

Spyre New Member

use the force tvout option instead

3. tek

tek New Member

How do I do that? :drool:

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

tek,

I'm using XP SP2 and have no trouble using the TV-OUT option on my 9600 Pro.

Are you sure the cable itself is good? I do know that for TV OUT to be 'active' there has to be a valid connection. If the connection is dead you won't get the option to turn it on. Don't assume it's good. I once had this problem on my 64 DDR VIVO and it was the cable connector itself. I wiggled it, turned it, and found there was a loose wire inside the insulation.

Like you, this feature is a MUST for me. I use it to send game play to another computer's Video In connection to make movies. So, it HAS to work for me.

Just another thought: Do you have an IRQ Enabled for your Video Card? I know you likely do, but sometimes we can overlook the most obvious of things.

5. tek

tek New Member

Actually I found out how to use "force tv-out" and that way it now works :) Thanks Spyre took me a while to find it but its in Display tab (Troubleshooting) button

Only problem now is theres 2 lines of snow that travel along the screen... thinkin it might be the cable

6. datapatrik

datapatrik New Member

thank you tek, display tab troubleshooting helped me too, earlier i had to check the boxes in overlay/thetermode for every movie