"Two" monitors question

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Now I know there is a simple answer to my question, try it and find out.
    But I much rather just ask here.

I want to use a capture card (through HDMI). I will connect it to laptop through USB so that I can see if it actually is recording as in the past it failed to do so.
    It's going to record gameplay from a desktop PC.
    While the capture card (external device) has an HDMI out, I don't want to set it between my actual monitor and the desktop PC.
    My GPU (a short GTX970) has ports. Is it possible to have the actual monitor connected as is to my PC, but have a second port connected to the capture device and from there to the laptop (USB)?
    Basically do a mirror to the second port, without an actual monitor connected to the capture device.
    And here is the actual question, does the desktop PC spent more resources in mirroring or not?
    It's late and the above probably doesn't make much sense. I might have to edit it tomorrow.

EDIT: Ok, let me try to be a bit more clear about this.
    The capture device doesn't support the resolution of the main monitor. The monitor supports 144Hz, and I like that. Also the colors and brightness are affected and the option for HDR disappears from Windows when I connect the capture device. So my idea was to mirror "the monitor" to the capture device. I tried with a HDMI splitter, but it was useless and affected the quality even more.
    So, mirroring to a second monitor which doesn't exist but it is just a capture device.
    Would that affect performance?
    Would that allow me to run it normal on my main monitor, or would any limitations that Windows/PC detect with the capture device "downgrade" the connection to the actual monitor too?
    Will Windows 10 allow to have mirroring on the second port even though there is no monitor connected to it, but just a capture device?
    I presume the answer to the last question is no and I will have to connect a second monitor, but since I will have to connect a far less capable monitor, will that again affect the first connection?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Simply connect the capture device to the 2nd hdmi port on the card.... set it up as cloned/mirrored display.... set it's display refresh correctly and set the primary monitor to it's own 144hz refresh rate. The output should be correct for both devices. Mirroring doesn't require both displays to have identical refresh rates.

splitters bad mkay

If the capture card refuses to be recognized.... i'd simply grab a cable and plug the same monitor you use already into it as well so that it SEES the 2nd display (using a 2nd input, such as using a HDMI ~> DP cable or the 2nd hdmi port on the monitor if it has one)

Trusteft and Mr Cairo like this.