Two toasted hard drives. Help?!

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by reaper101, Jul 26, 2005.

1. reaper101

reaper101 New Member

Two toasted hard drives. Help?! Make That Three!!!!!

Hey guys, just fitted a hitachi deskstar 160 gb hard drive with my X800 into my machine (had the drive in for bout two months before this, ran fine). The rig ran but occasionally failed to boot up. Both my hard drives would not be detected in the bios. Then the 160 gb just stopped spinning. Had it replaced on waranty. Ran it in another machine to put files and docs that i needed. Fitted it back in to may machine and the drive stopped spinning. Whenever i connect it to either ide no drives are detected on that ide.

System specs:

P4 2.4 GHz
    1024mb ram
    Seagate 40GB hard drive
    Asus IS7-E2 main board
    Gigabyte X800 (External power supply required)
    Teac DVD writer
    Dial modem pci
    Soundblaster Live 24bit
    350 watt psu

I suspect it may be my power supply but am not sure. Worried that i may land up toasting more drives.

Edit:

Bad news. Returned the drives to the store form which i got them. Also gave the guys my pc to run diagnostics. They tested the power supply and all was well. Fitted the new hitachi 160gb drive and the machine ran fine . They monitored the voltages as well as the amperage.

In any case got a new 450 watt antec power supply (US$ 130). The guys at the store were satisfied with the setup and couldn"t see anything in my setup that could have toasted the two previous hard drives.

Got home (no pc for 5 days, hence extremely satisfied after parting ways with the cash for the new power supply). Plugged it in and turned it........No ide drives detected (in bios) on the primary ide cable.i.e. Windows 40gb not detected and new 160gb drive not detected. Unplugged the new 160gb and rebooted . Everything works fine. The (third) 160gb not spinning up.

Back to the store where the guys are absolutely baffled. Called the suppliers of the hitachi who i am sure at this moment (happy to give a 4th drive) are still scratching their heads with confusion. Any ideas???????? We're clutching at straws and thinking that may its the ide cables?????????? Please Help.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  2. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

hey man....welcome to DH to start you off :)

As to looking as to your HDDs, it does seem that are quite dead. Like you mentioned, i suspect it being your PSU as well. 300watts i feel is not enough power to keep all your components working at full power capacity. If your HDDs are still under warranty, i suggest you RMA them and get new ones. While you're doing that, i would also advise getting a new PSU as well. Some that come to mind right now are Enermax, Antec, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling are some of the ones i recommend. Mind you that these are a bit pricey. If these do not fit your budget, then i recommend any PSU that can do at least 22amps on the 12v rail.

3. toddsmack2k

toddsmack2k It Never.....

Yeah your HD's are toast. Invest in some quality HD cables and most of all a solid PSU like CD said. Another point is to make sure your case temps are nice and cool. As heat can really make a HD give up the ghost quicker.

4. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Do the Hitachi drives still work in the other computer?

Edit: does sound like a weak psu because of the occassional bootup problem, just wondering about the drives themselves though...

5. HMS-Dreadnought

HMS-Dreadnought New Member

HDD + heat = DEATH!??

how much heat in the case are we talking about (sry to hi-jack the thread) Also, i've seen a thing with two fans on it , that you can scruw to the bottom of the HD. Is that any good?

I didn't buy it beacuse i was worried about it forcing more dust in to the drive, Are these things any good?

6. reaper101

reaper101 New Member

None of the drives work. When put on another machine any other drives on the same ide are not even detected in the bios. Case temp is about plus minus 30. Hahe decent cooling (3 fans). One blowing directly across my hard drives.

P.S. Thanks for the welcome and speedy replies, greatly appreciated. Returned the drives to the retailer gonna get 'em replaced on waranty. Also organizing an antec 480w psu (cd's recommendation). Hope that will sort my issues.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  7. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

if you have a volt-meter, try reading the posts next to the ribbon cable under the HD, and see if any of them are bad, and yes....spend the 80-100 bucks for a good 400+ watt PSU...it's a must.

If the voltage on you're HD is good, try putting it in another system and be sure and listen for strange clicks, scrapes, or clunks...those all mean internal damage of some sort.

Lastly, if they really have met their maker...be sure and RMA them back to said maker to get them reincarnated into a new being...and be sure not to use them until you have a PSU with some balls.