Ubisoft Defend Anti-Piracy Techniques

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by comp_ali, Jan 28, 2010.

1. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Update : Ubisoft confirmed that Assassin's Creed II will feature the new DRM.

Ubisoft’s UK PR Manager has spoken out in defence of the company’s new anti-piracy plans.

After announcing that upcoming PC titles would require an always-on internet connection in order to play, the company received some criticism from fans. The main complaint was that a game is unusable should they lose or otherwise have no internet connection.

In response, UK PR Manager Stefano Petrullo made the following three points, when speaking to MCV:

- “We know this choice is controversial but we feel is justified by the gameplay advantages offered by the system and because most PCs are already connected to the internet.”

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I think it is a great DRM scheme, it has managed to make me to not want to buy ANY Ubisoft games released with it and instead either ignore or find other ways to play them.
    Smart move ubi!

3. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

It never ceases to amaze me how retarded excecutives still fail to realise they're single handedly putting their entire game development studios at risk just 1 bad move at a time, Eventually everyone will take such disgust at being treated like criminals no games will be bought, the studios will go under, no games will be made and we'll all be left without anything to play.

All because of anti piracy.

the movie industry has caught on and changed their anti piracy ads in the UK. When i recieved Family Guy Season 5 on DVD last year for Christmas 2008 i had to sit through the god awful "YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A MOVIE, YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A HANDBAG, YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A TV, DOWNLOADING FILMS IS STEALING" warnings DESPITE THE FACT THAT I LEGALLY OWNED THE DVD!!!!!111

The new ones i actually like "They bought it, He's gonna steal it, They're having a great time, He's just wasting his" because it pretty much says that if you buy the DVD, you're gonna have a great time, If you download it chances are you're not. I don't like being treated as a criminal and i'm sure nobody else on this planet does unjustly... unless you're a criminal of course.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

how are you having not a great time when downloading a movie and watching it? There are some great quality rips out there.. ?

5. MythicaL

MythicaL I like computers.

Anti-piracy is one of the most poorly thought-out concepts I've ever been exposed to. It's as simple as this: if you don't achieve what you're ideally trying to do (which is of course to benefit the purchasers and to punish the pirates), then WHY CONTINUE?. Hey, guess what, DRM doesn't do jack shit except punish the the purchasers; pirates aren't affected. If anything, the pirates are rewarded because they don't get to deal with "broken" software. Who would be stupid enough to include this terrible logic? Oh, wait...

I swear that common sense and the ability to rationalize is escaping developers these days.

6. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

I figure I'll just be sure to secure a crack for any game that uses this protection BEFORE buying the game. Can't find a working crack, won't buy the game. Simple as that.

I do that with all my PC game purchases anyway.

I forget what game it was a few years back, but I remember the game ran much smoother and nicer once the DRM was bypassed with a crack. It had all kinds of hiccups and stutters before that. Ever since that time, I ALWAYS search out cracks before actually buying any game.

I don't really bother DL'ing PC games anymore simply because of the sizes of the games in general these days, which is better DRM than any of the draconian methods they come up with, IMO. Despite what their EULA's demand, I feel I'm perfectly entitled to apply a crack to eliminate their built in hassles if I bought the game. No one else is playing my disk of the game, I don't play online (or at least as "offline" as the game will let you), so I'm not bothering anyone else with my shenanigans within MY INSTALL of the game. I'll do what I want with the program once it's in MY system. Under those conditions, I don't feel they have any right to tell me I can't do that.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  7. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

8. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

Yeah this is how online games have worked for decades. No internet connection, no play. It's never bothered anyone before I don't see why it would start bothering anyone now. World of Warcraft doesn't seem to be hurting from all the players with "shoddy internet connections."

Bringing single player games into the same connectivity realm as online games is genius. Not only does Ubi take a big bite out of their piracy problem but they also provide boat loads of value to the user. You never have to worry about losing your saves or transferring them between computers. You don't need a disc to play, but you also don't have to sit through a 5gb download. Automatic patching. The lure of social mechanics and co-op will be too great to resist.

This is so fucking smart, it's a great compromise that could breathe life back into the PC industry. With publishers on one side of the line saying they're just going to stop releasing games on the PC, and a "customer base" that steals without remorse, Ubi's new system should have everyone meeting in the middle and shaking hands.

9. Trusteft

nvm, it's pointless.

10. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

Let's face it...who of us out there who are active PC gamers does not have interwebz access? What's the big deal?

I can understand it will be an inconvenience if your connection goes out or you have to kill it for whatever reason but if this happens, play something else or if you did need to get rid of your Net access I think you have better things to do than play games.

11. MythicaL

MythicaL I like computers.

It's the principle of it. The pirated version would not require you to be connected to the internet. So, the DRM is pointless.

12. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

So you're saying that forcing people to have an internet connection to play games that don't even feature multiplayer is genius? Dude i think you need to wake up and smell the fucking coffee beans this is beyond ridiculous this is just straight up retarded.

But i'm not even going to bother arguing with you because there's a lovely brick wall to my left i can just smash my head against.

Trusteft likes this.
  13. Trusteft

qft :)

14. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

So there are really only two sides - for or against. For those against I'm curious to see what you would think is a better idea for the developers and publishers who are losing money due to pirating.

15. Trusteft

Wrong attitude.
    They are going to lose my money (Ubi) to either not buying their games or to piracy, because of their DRM (and this is DRM).

People will pirate because they want and they can. Not all people will, even when they can.
    People who will pirate, would not necessarily buy the game they couldn't get in other ways. This is the big secret. 1 pirated copy does not mean 1 lost sale.
    Too late and to bored with the stupidity (of DRM) to talk more, but here are two cases.
    1)I have bought games from Matrixgames (basically no DRM) and GOG.com (no DRM in any form and level). Especially for GOG, I have bought games that I could and can easily find for free elsewhere. Instead I decided to buy the games.
    2)Someone I know doesn't buy games, not enough time, but mostly doesn't agree with giving money for games. So he downloads (and before that get through other means) any game he wants. If there is a game he can't find, or if the game is online only that requires key/authoraziation/join server, he doesn't bother. It doesn't matter to him since games are simply very very trivial. He will never buy a game, no matter what DRM or DRM free there is. Still, this guy's illegal download COUNTS to some companies for the numbers they are showing as lost money, which is absurd.

DRM drives people away, not towards legal ways.
    If Ubisoft releases a game (or more) that I really want to play, under other circumstances I would buy them. With this DRM, I am not going to buy them. I am going to find the games elsewhere. Where I will not have to pray I don't lose connection etc.

Some of these companies are killing themselves, or at least slowly bleed to death.

Other issues with the DRM Ubi is going to implement, not all gamers on this planet live in certain parts of Europe, N.America and RoK where they can pretty much rely on 24/7 365 uninterrupted connection for a low price.

For all those millions of potential customers (for all the games released with this DRM), do you think they will do what? Move to USA or Canada? Build their own fiber optic broadband lines and centres? Invest millions if not billions so that they can PLAY A GAME? Not all are well off americans and western europeans.
    Many of them will turn to piracy and many will buy other games from other publishers.
    Who is the loser here, the gamers who don't get to play games they would like to (legally), and Ubisoft who is going to lose customers. At the same time the people who pirate games will continue to do so and will continue to laugh at the more and more draconian measures.

gascieus likes this.
  16. orion_star

orion_star New Member

I don't get why so many people are wound up over the internet connection thing.

I personally don't know anyone who doesn't have broadband and games. In fact I can't think of anyone without a broadband connection.

Obviously there are people out there that have dial up, but honestly to these companies they more than likely represent a tiny minority. And for people without internet, somehow I doubt they will be buying any game. If you can afford to buy a PC capable of playing modern games one would think you can afford basic broadband at the least.

On a side note, broadband internet is a legal right in Finland.

17. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

Yes, but Steam already does this, but even they have an "offline mode" for when an internet connection isn't available.

If Ubisoft wanted a DRM system like this that wouldn't have produced this backlash, they should have signed up to Steamworks, instead, they drop the ball by cutting out anyone who doesn't have 100% internet access.

18. YAYitsAndrew

It's a little smarter than steam because it does a better job solving the piracy issue. If there is some ideal solution out there for PC gaming that benefits both seller and customer, steam is one road there and ubisoft's system is another one. Eventually all the roads will converge, everyone will meet on that ideal solution, and then the real competition begins. Will Ubisoft add missing steam features to their thing like community and achievements? Almost certainly. If Ubisoft's always-online idea pans out, will steam let developers choose it for their titles using cloud? Yup.

The real way to stop piracy is to think of games as a service. On the developer and publisher side treating games like services is attractive because you can validate the player when they want to play and their license isn't transferable to another player (unless you are involved.) DRM has been trying to get these things for the publisher but obviously at the expense of the customer. Having an online platform to launch your games though should be giving value to the customer too. Let them connect to their friends, play without the cd, play from any computer they want. Give them an easy way to get patches. Sell DLC for your successful games.

What Ubisoft is doing here doesn't deserve the knee-jerk DRM HURRRR reaction.

19. YAYitsAndrew

To address your point a little more directly, Steamworks is a competitor. Valve doesn't have Steam set up to be middleware that all the developers are going to use (think Bink video or Physx). Instead, Steam is on the trajectory to be the next big thing in game publishing. The big publishers aren't going to give up their spots by buying into Steamworks, they're going to create their own solution that they control.

20. gascieus

gascieus Under the Crimson Air

A game is ownership, not a serviceable good. I bought the game, so I shouldn't be tied down to how I want to play the game every time I fire up the game (i.e., need to have Internet connection). I've already had to compromise with an Internet validation check (or some type of Steam network), but this is going too far. For instance, if my family is streaming HD videos or other events that require heavy broadband usage, I want to be able to play Assassin's Creed II without having to go online and compete with my family (I wouldn't win anyway...). There are scenarios where one is without a reliable Internet - at home or away from home - such that this type of DRM is shackles and chains to me and others as well. Remember you need to have constant Internet. If your ISP goes down, you can't play the game anymore. I'm not here to defend piracy, but this is seriously a dumb move by Ubisoft.

They've pulled a fast one like this in the past, such as using Reloaded's no-cd crack for their Vegas 2 game. Yeah, they can say whatever they want about mismanagement and then subsequently blamed it on the scapegoat AKA poor worker who uploaded the crack on their site on the behest of his/her manager, but Ubisoft doesn't deserve any praise from me.

Nothing will detract people from cracking games. Just like DRM, this system will be cracked. All it will do in the end is piss the legitimate owners, that's all. And BluMak hit the nail on the head: 1 pirated game != 1 loss sale.

Trusteft likes this.