Ukranian War

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, May 11, 2022.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

I couldn't find a thread for this so thought I'd make one, I was just talking to someone who is on the ground there right now, he is Ukranian and went back to fight when the war started, he says the morale is high in their army and they will fight until the end, he called Russia a gas station with a nuke and after spending a month just on the front lines he now is part of the clean up and rescue efforts.

Apart from telling me his street where he grew up got hit by a rocket, he also told me that when you arrived in Ukraine you were given a gun if you went to any gun store and sent to the front lines. His uncle also passed away in April and he was telling me that in the crashed jets that are from Russia, the GPS is like duct taped to the dash board, he said that Russia is very very ill equipped to be fighting this war. He expects the war to be over by the end of the year. I wished him Godspeed and told him he would be in my prayers as well as told him to keep safe while he was out there.

Dyre Straits and arb65912 like this.
  2. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

That is some interesting read, @Calliers . Thank you.

Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.
  3. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

No problem, I was wondering if there was a Ukranian war thread on here (I know there is on the other places I visit) so I guess I just assumed there was one here, guess I was wrong.... anyway this is it then it looks like.

arb65912 and Mr Cairo like this.
  4. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

Its an odd one to be sure I mean who starts a war in this day and age, most of the conflict in the world at the moment is either decades old conflict or just quick skirmishes but Putin has gone to actual war and is threatening other countries with Nukes if they get involved. There was a video a few weeks ago shown on Russian propaganda channel (supposedly/apparently) that showed what would happen to the UK if Russia detonated an underwater Nuke off the coast of Donegal .... radioactive Tidal wave etc

Growing up in the late 60's to early 70's some parts of teh UK school system had adopted a version of duck and cover in case of Nuclear strike drills although for us it was probably more fun than a possibility as the cold war was over but I kind of remember how the fear was instilled in us

If this continues I worry, it scares me that we have a Buffoon for a Prime Minister in the Uk but I am also HUGELY relived that Trump no longer has his finger on that button in the US

If Putin is backed up to a wall I can see him using Nuclear weapons he seems to be on that course

Here the UK is criticised for not taking in more Ukranian refugees and that understandable but in all fairness we already take in about a 600 a day in immigrants from India, Romania, Poland who risk it all to cross the channel in ridiculously small boats to get here, roughly 35,000 made the journey to the UK in 2021

I don't worry for myself but as a parent it terrifies me, My son doesn't get it though

Jake "Why don't all the countries just get together and nuke Russia first"

Me " Because the second we launch they launch and they have the biggest arsenal in the world ..... no one wins, plus the fallout will spread to Britain so even if we win we don't win"

Jake " then sent the SAS or Delta Force or Chuck Norris in to get him"

Me " kill the president and the chances are they would launch in retribution"

Jake "then why not ....... or ...... or ..... or ...... or ....etc"

Me "cause all that ends up with no one winning .....except the cockroach"

Calliers and arb65912 like this.
  5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

The situation in Ukraine is terrible. Towns getting razed to the ground or losing access even to basic things like water. Also, I can't not see the introduction of Chechen fighters as, among other things, a way to bring in fighters that will not relate to the locals (unlike the average Russian conscript, who is likely to have friends and family in Ukraine). On the other hand, the finer points of the Geneva convention seem to be out of the window for the captured Russian troopers as well.

More globally, unless you're Ukrainian or Russian, more or less nothing terrible (life altering) has happened so far. I also think that it's likely that Russia would take a way out at this point, if it could find one where it wouldn't lose too much face. Unfortunately, I don't see such an option. That is I don't see them withdrawing completely from Ukraine and I don't see things getting back to normal without that.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

the worst part is the fact that people refuse to consider the underlying actual cause of the situation and are outright blaming russia for literally everything.... while ignoring anything that paints ukraine much the same way. It's not remotely one sided. The problem is the general population of both countries don't actually know wtf is going on and at least in the realms of russia, some of it is technically right, but almost anyone outside of russia think it's propaganda.

This shit was started basically 14 years ago. A lot of meddling has been going on with countries notorious for fucking with russia and countless other countries they've later admitted to or quietly done so, for eons. Yet so many people are quick to forget the history and being willfully blind to things just because of the current situation.

It's much akin to the numerous bullies in a school poking and jabbing and performing countless morally questionable and ethically damnable actions to a single or a few students every time any authority looks away. The only time an authority is looking is the exact moment that said bullied student decides they've had enough of this shit and decided to bitch slap the bully, of course the bully decides to play the victim entirely and cry and do everything psychologically to entice EVERYONE authority and other students alike, to blame the bullied student rather than the bully for the problem.

Calliers, arb65912 and Mr Cairo like this.
  7. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm of two minds in that regard. One is that it's certainly not black and white, but the other is that, whatever way you spin it, Russian troops are wreaking havoc in another country, and I don't believe that the actual motive has anything to do with standing up for the disenfranchised Russian speaking population in east Ukraine. In fact, I am of the impression that this invasion has done what no Ukrainian leader could for Ukrainian national unity.

Calliers, arb65912 and Mr Cairo like this.
  8. arb65912

arb65912 Well-Known Member

I could not agree more. Of course, any conflict/war/invasion, whatever that one should be called is bad for people (on both sides anyway) but the picture we are getting through media is totally one sided.

Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.