Unbearable Cubase performance after system upgrade: Need help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yann-kun, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Yann-kun

Yann-kun New Member

Hello there!

So now again I am here with a problem including me and my kXAudio Drivers. I wouldn't turn to you if I wasn't absolutely desperate and hadn't tried everything else (Knowledgebase, FAQ, etc...)

So here's the big deal:

I had my recording machine upgraded, because it always throttled aroung 80% of my CPU Usage in Cubase, as soon as a project reached its higher places. Here's my old setup:

AMD Athlon 1000 MHz

256 MB SDRAM

Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live!Drive 5.1

Windows 2000

Cubase SX 2.0

The new one is:

AMD Athlon 2800+

Some WinFast Motherboard...

1024 DDR Ram

Live!Drive

Windows XP

Cubase SX 2.0

The kX Drivers used are still from the current safe release 3537.

I also added a new USB-MIDI-Keyboard: M-AUDIO Keystation 88es. I mention the Keyboard because it seems to be having to do something with it.

Let's say, I load a project in Cubase that used to suck up 80% of my CPU performance. First glance: "Cool, it only takes 20%! I can finally get back to business!"

I load the demo of CronoX3 Synthesizer, cause I wanted to listen to it... bang: Crackles and pops all over the place. The whole audio reproduction crashes, the synchronized MIDI-Drummachine plays as if it has lost all basic motoric functions... in a word: shit!

I admit: I was eager to try a lower latency than before. I thought, this machine was able to handle 10.66ms. But it doesn't.

Neither does it 21.33ms... nor 43ms...

What the hell is up with this machine?? The slower one worked better!

If you need any more information, please ask. I do not know, what you might need to know in order to help me out. I am absolutely desperate! What use is a high end machine with no way of recording? *sits down and cries*

I'd be thankful for every aid!

Greets,

Yann

edit: The crackling does not only happen with CronoX3, but with ALL VST Instruments... even mda Piano... furthermore it occurs when I select (!) an Audio channel in the project window... how sick is that??

2. TravelRec.

TravelRec. Alternative Audioproductions

Seems to be a misconfiguration on the pci system. Creative-cards are very hungry on pci-power, so if your USB controller gets some power now and then, the card stops the data-transferring and the sound crackles. Your graphic card can also cause this issues. Have you tweaked your XP to maximum performance? DMA for all volumes switched on? Any network adapters running? Have you uninstalled all creative driver stuff that was installed by XP itself, before installing the kX-package?

3. trevbushell

trevbushell New Member

i empathise with you, i had issues like this on a new computer in march 2005!! I spent loads of time on it (3 months in computer forums and reconfiguring)! I found out eventually it was a hardware fault (the mobo!). got a full refund!! new computer fine!

i'm saying that because it sounds exactly the same problem to mine. my computer could not handle songs and sent all audio crackling and popping! maybe this is a hardware fault too?
    regards and best of luck with it!!http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/s...n=112035&Words=&topic=&Search=true#Post112035 this is a forum thread of my issues may help may not

i know what youre going thro!! its horrible, sorry i cant offer further help!
    trev

4. Yann-kun

Yann-kun New Member

Hello, thanks for you answer!

I have followed all instructions I found in multiple articles on how to setup your PC for recording, how to set up kX drivers with Cubase etc.
    If I do have a misconfiguration of the pci system... how do I configure it right?
    What's DMA? Sorry, I'm from Germany and we all have different names sometimes; furthermore I'm not pro enough at it. Would be glad if you'd explain a little. ^^
    I fail at uninstalling the Windows drivers. XP installs standard drivers and whenever I delete them, they just come back as soon as I reboot... I will check the "delete your old drivers" articles and try that.

Thanks, bud!!

@trevbushell: Thanks for the sympathy! I hope it's not the hardware...

5. trevbushell

trevbushell New Member

if you have the patience then you could look thriough the thread i gave you as a link. as before i found out it was a hardware problem i got lots of advice from this thread.... some of it was really good and could help you!!

its a long thread though! so you may not have the time

6. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

DMA ia a mode for the hard drive it's checked and/or changed in the Device manager under IDE Controllers, set for DMA mode if available.

Get Driver Cleaner Pro from here: http://driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=76416

To stop windows from installing windows driver for your sound card. Turn off System Restore, uninstall drivers, reboot into safe mode, Use Driver Cleaner Pro (also use Cab Cleaner from Driver Cleaner tool bar), reboot, reinstall kX drivers.

Upon successful install of kX drivers, turn on System restore.

Before you decide it's a hardware issue that your sound has cracks and pops, you can try using a Standard PC configuration instead of using an ACPI PC configuration.

Using a standard PC configuration has been known to resolve MIDI/Audio sync problems and cracks and pops in audio playback and recording. Here's a helpful link: http://www.musicxp.net/installing_xp.php

Search for "Standard PC configuration" using Google or Yahoo search engine for more info about it, and how to change to a Standard PC configuration. It's best to get a Standard PC configuration upon a fresh install of Windows, but it can be changed to Standard PC configuration without reinstalling windows.

From Device manager under Computer, right click Advanced Configuration and power Interface and select update driver. In the wizard, select Install from a specific location. Then, select "Dont search, I will choose the driver to install." Then select the Standard PC.

Restart and windows will reinstall all drivers for your PC (so have them available in case you need to diredt windows to them). When done restart, go back to Device manager. You may have 2 PCs under Computer, click on them both and remove the one that has the red X on it (when you highlight each see the icons that display under the toolbar in device manager window, one will have a PC with red X, uninstall (remove that one).

You will need to install a utility that will allow you to shut down your PC without holding the PC power button. If you decide to install a Standard PC using this method, post again, and I will write instructions for how to install the utility.

Goodluck.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  7. Nando Dominguez

Nando Dominguez New Member

>>You will need to install a utility that will allow you to shut down your PC without holding the PC power button. If you decide to install a Standard PC using this method, post again, and I will write instructions for how to install the utility.

Hi Thomasabarnes, there is an option that worked for me. In Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices (it may vary since my copy of Windows is spanish). Then re-activate something like Windows NT Apm/Legacy Interface Node that probably is deactivated. After this there should not be any problems to shut down.

Nando

8. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Nando:

That's what I'm talking about Nando, but Yann hasnt replied yet, so I can tell him how to install that. In my last post I was explaning how to change to a Standard PC config for Yann. It's Yann who needs help, not me.:)

9. Nando Dominguez

Nando Dominguez New Member

Ok, pardon. I just meant that there's no need to install any utility.

10. Yann-kun

Yann-kun New Member

Hello there!
    Things have changed a little. In a word: My computer has sort of developed an "emotional life"... sometimes he works, sometimes he doesn't. I had times when everything was running fine at 10ms, but after a while it crackles. And I have times with no pops and cracks at all...

I've tried this reinstalling the drivers with removing all creative stuff before, but once I have the Creative thingys deleted, I can't install the kX drivers properly... now this is sick. The installation is finished within a second and he doesn't install anything. I'll try it in safe mode as you suggested.

The DMA thing will be tried right now. Thanks for the hint! If it doesn't work, I'll see the "Standard PC configuration" as a last resort... Mööp!

Greets and Thanks

Yann-kun

11. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

If all proposed 'tweaks' like no_acpi, dma, irq etc. fail,
    you might wanna try kX 3534f driver version.

For some unknown reason I always experience ASIO pops & clicks with every driver release after 3534f,
    regardless what latency setting, computer type, tweaks and even regardless CPU/ASIO load.
    This happens on *All* my 3 entirly diff computers;
    -amd xp1800+
    -intel P4 HT 2,8ghz
    -intel P3 1ghz
    As soon as I roll back to 3534f, ASIO runs wihout a single glitch at even the lowest latency settings.

Needless to say that I only use 3534f for my personal music stuff,
    while programming/compiling for later versions.

Just a thought.

/LeMury