uninstalling nvidia drivers completely?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by shuki, Jun 26, 2002.

1. shuki

shuki New Member

Can someone post up a "how to" for completely removing nvidia drivers from your system (like candyman and mad_hattah did for ATI)? I am familiar with ATI but have no idea how to do it with nvidia. My new 4200 is on it's way and I'd like to be prepared. when I test each new driver, I like to do a completely clean driver install each time. How can I do that?

TAI :)

2. Mark_Fox

Mark_Fox RIP

I think its been covered here before but this is how I do it and it seems to work for me (that's in XP):

From add/remove control panel - remove nvidia drivers but don't re-start yet! Before u restart, go to registry and scroll down to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video] - remove all keys underneath. You might have 1,2,3,4,5, etc keys - all should be removed. Now u can restart!

When u boot back to windows, the system will display message(s) saying the display adaptor isn't configured, something is not set to maximum...etc...ignore it for now. Next install the new drivers, either manually by going to device manager and upgrading the current winxp default driver (12.40 or 29.42 if you have sp1 installed) or you can use nvidia automatic install program. Both should work.

3. shuki

shuki New Member

thanks mr. fox! my new gainward 4200 is here now. Just got one more quick question though... do I need to search for and delete anything in windows? like with ati its ati*.* files and delete after add/remove drivers and reboot.

also, anyone else have any other recommendations to add to completely uninstalling nvidia drivers? I want to be able to do CLEAN installs with each driver set I try and each time I upgrade drivers I hope to be able to go with a clean install each time. thanks!

4. zillah

zillah New Member

5. zillah

zillah New Member