Universal Remotes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NightBreed, Aug 2, 2006.

1. NightBreed

NightBreed New Member

I'm curious to know if anyone else has tried using a universal remote control with creative's live drive.

I recently tested my DSX5500 directTv sat. remote on the livedrive unit and found that it did work. Though, I had to switch from KX's remote control and use
    Girder to remap the buttons.

Problem is, I lost the code book that came with the remote. I'll find it again. I set the remote on one of the two AUX controls (set for a DVD player and a VCR)

After remapping the buttons the remote works great. Of course there are some buttons that can't be used. Atleast not yet, I'll have to grab the code book again and try other hardware model codes.

If anyone else has or is going to try this, it would be cool if you post your results and possible control numbers and remote types.

Peace...

2. NightBreed

NightBreed New Member

Just an update.... I still hadn't found the code book to the remote but, the hardware it is configured to is a Fisher VCR Plus and a CyberHome DVD player. So if you get the code book these are some good models to start from.

Now I am curious... if the reciever translates it all into midi data shouldn't it pick up remote mixing units? And using Girder, you should be able to map sliders and knobs to the router correct?

3. NightBreed

NightBreed New Member

Forgot to ask... Is there a hardware limitation to the reciever unit? i.e., is it limited to the number of controls on it's own remote?

I know you can use the speaker button to assign alternative commands to the buttons therefore doubling the amount of controls... but , is this limited in the hardware some place?

4. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

1) thats KX AUTOMATION and NOT the 'router'
    2) Seeing as KX is using SYSEX data for all its remote control functions - or its using whatever you make KX automation use - it makes it less likely that those midi messages can directly translate to other hardware, normally you want to avoid this beahviour and have control of each seperately... but - you need to process/convert these midi message. or set KX automation to match your mixer

3) you need to 'mirror' message sent TO KX automation *and* the midi out port your mixer is attached to.
    This represents the MIDI 'router' part of things, and would be MidiOX - or hubi or some other Virtual Midi patchbay - While MidiOX can convert as well, I find it a bit buggy in winXP. Hubi's - I never tried.

Good Luck.

(see other thread - I poseted the sysex codes that the remote sends to KX)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  5. NightBreed

NightBreed New Member

I don't think you'll need any other software if you're using girder. I was able to use that to capture a specific plugin window and directly control a control slider via standard defined remote button.

I hadn't really done a lot with girder atm. But it's already converting remote code into midi data... So assigning a slider from a remote control unit to incr or decr a plugins slider value is easy to do this way.

Any yeah, I ment to say Automation, that was an error I forgot to correct myself on.

Girder's Midi SysEx plugin already takes care of all the signal from the receiver to the software. So any how, to make a long story short... my testing is going pretty well.

Some time ago I asked about COM control and other interfacing methods for controling KX plugins... But it's not needed atm with girder installed. Girder can be made to use any source and send whatever control you need to a desired plugin. I used a VB slider to test this, as well as a bb4win, bbinterface slider to send values to specific KX stuff, and it worked as well.

Anyway, looks like I'll have a lot to play with over the next couple of days ;) as always, when I come across anything useful, I'll post it.

Thanks much for the reply Maddogg6.

6. NightBreed

NightBreed New Member

One thing I just tried (and you don't really need girder to do this) but you may need a midi network routing software. Is to use the remote to control kx stuff on a remote computer.

So, I created the initial input controls first, on the main computer with the receiver. Set girder to send the messages to a networked computer and set that computers girder to recieve incomming data and route that to a kx controller.

Doing this sets my live carded computer that doesn't have a livedrive, to be able to use the remote control.

This is just remotes in general by the way. Not at all to do with just the universal ones. The standard RM- models work just fine.