unzipping/unpack/extracting...REAL SLOW

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by ptsigas, Nov 10, 2007.

1. ptsigas

ptsigas New Member

hey guys.

to start things off- all drivers (including BIOS) is fully uptodate- win64 and win32 fully uptodate- sp2 on both- and all updates required.

DX 9c on both OS' 64bit OS has all the respective 64bit drivers installed on it.

well everything runs great- i regularly DEFRAG- i run anti virus AVG program- daily- i run CCleaner which takes care of alot of junk on the HD-

i run MEMtest once a month.

at the moment i dont have my CPU OC'd at all. Nor are my GPU OC'd (well i never did it).

WINDOWS runs great no problems- no errors. installed programs is not an issue whatsoever.

but when i use WINRAR to unpack lets say 500MB it takes a bit of time (more than usual i mean, a noticable delay occurs)- ok i unpacked 6GB and it took 1hr 21 MIN ..that is nuts..i h ave never waited so long for a game to unpack (really). i know 6gb is not peanuts but thats nuts!

even 1gb took longer than usual-

i have no virus' no mem errors- no cpu core damage.

i also check my ATAIDE controller devices on Device manager and made sure that PIO was NOT selected...but there is ONE listed HD that IS selected but i cannot changeit- both HDS are new- not old old school or anything- they are both 7200rpm- one of them is actually sata (which i know doesnt make the big difference hehe)

i was thinking mayhaps a lurking virus- only happens with zipped stuff- even if i download a DEMO for a game IE- JEricho- that took about 30 min to install.......OBlivion only took 10 at most-

im going to log into my BIOS inthe morning - see if there is something different- OH and this did NOT happen after i updated my bios today- it happened before that- but recentley...which is annoying. i also have virtual memory enabled at system config (not custom)- but other than that- everything runs great-

the only other thing i can point out is that on my device list - MASS STORAGE CONTROLLER has a question mark with it..hmm im goona check the net for something-

oh and it sucks cause i bought BET ON SOLDIER about 7 months ago- and it had STARFOCE ON IT- so my burnder has finally given up- its dead.....

thanks in advance - game on!

2. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Ok you do some things a little too much, like Memtest every month :p

However what program are you using, and is this occuring on 2 separate machines, or just 1? Because you say you have 64 and 32bit up to date.

And when about did you first start experiencing this? And could you give full system specs too, would help give a performance idea of your system and how it should be.

3. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Sounds like you need some new drivers for that mass storage controller.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

But, WHAT mass storage device are we talking about???

I don't see anywhere in the post any mention of what of any of the following is in the system:

CPU?
    Motherboard?
    RAM?
    Video Card?
    HDDs Type and Free Space?? (One is SATA, the other/s PATA?)
    Windows? Vista? XP? 95???

We need a whole lot more information before we can even begin to determine a direction to start with.

5. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Looks like WinXP to me :D

Yea I agree with you dyre. For some reason I was going to ask about those but then by brain forgot to tell my fingers to type :lol:

6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Well, FWIW, I just unpacked a 3.98 GB ISO I have on one of my ATA150 SATA drives. It took 2 min 40 secs to unpack using WinRAR.

7. ptsigas

ptsigas New Member

woops sorry bout no specs

amd athlon 4400X2 2.2ghz
    OCZ 2gb 4000 200MHZ
    A8r32-mvp deluxe mobo
    2 1900 radeon Crossfires
    2 HDS - western digital 200gb and Seagate 80gb (seagate is SATA, WD is IDE)= 7200RPM
    Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer (installed in correct slot!)
    Logitech Optical Mouse

now i have onboard sound disabled- i have not had this problem before.

so i popped up the device manager- took a gander and noticed that MAss controller had a ? beside it- so i clicked on properties - selected update driver- it logged on to msn and actually found the drivers for it- i installed it ofcourse- restarted PC_ did not help much- a little.

i booted into my BIOS and noticed that 32bit storage was disabled- i enabled it for BOTH HD's

now im going run defrag again and check for more windows updates.

oh im using 1 system- i have 1 Primary partition and 2 logicals on a seperate HD- none are LOW on space- drive E (winxp64) has 20GB of space left- with a paging file- im running things off of DRIVE D- which has over 100GB of space left - no page file- and my 80gb has 40gb left-

the cables im using for these drives are only 1 yr old- actually for the 200gb HD its only 6 months old- but that wouldnt be the problem since i never had this problem before-

this problem began happening 1 week ago..i did not install anything crazy.

just games- thats it-

so the next thing to attempt is more windows updates - if any- probably update my BIOS to the latest version- but this version is just great (im actually able to play HALF LIFE 2!!!!!! no STUTTER!@!!) - so prob not yet hehe-

i installed timeshift- took 45min to install..oh man....i ran it over night while i slept lol i assume 45 min- hl 2 took over 1 hour!! but the game runs FAST.

i mean Crysis runs nuts! just some load times- a little longer than normal. ill run more virus programs again- see if anythign shows-

anyways thanksfor the help as always I am very appreciative! again this problem did NOT occur after i flashed/updated my BIOS- and my ram is dual channel enabled.

again prime and memtest were nominal (dr kleiner is wicked!)

8. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Asus's site gives this specs for storage controllers. So you might want to go to Asus support site and download drivers for those chipsets.
    Since I can't figure out what else might be wrong. 32-bit storage is generally not used since there is 48-bit option that allows drives bigger than 137Gb.

9. ptsigas

ptsigas New Member

well i went on the website- i could not find those specific drivers you mentioned. i did find some things about silicon image - but not what you mentioned- it was for RAID setups (which im not using)- also the one i thought was correct i downloaded it - extracted- but it needed a floppy drive - the file was called MAKEDISK64bit (and 32bit for winxp)-

would you be able to provide a URL please?

i did a search fo the website- came up with nothing- so im going to check mayhaps you foudn those from some general section or was it for my specific motherboard?

thanks again!

10. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

if you aren't using RAID you really don't need the driver. But you can get drivers for your ULi southbridge in here : Download ULi Drivers

11. ptsigas

ptsigas New Member

downloaded the drivers thanks man- ill if they make a difference- hopefully they do! i cant install it right now because im unpacking some home clips i made- will take 35 min...oh...brother.

12. ptsigas

ptsigas New Member

well i ran a bunch of virus programs..found many things got rid of them and still nothing..i think im going to get rid of win 32..i like 64 bit better- just keep it to one OS- its great- now i got win 64bit installed on a seperate drive in its own logical drive on my second HARD DISK- can i just delete windows os- ie - format drive c? i rarely use it now.

who know if this will improve performance- but atleast it will clear things up!

i sent a log via hijack this to a support site - mayhaps they will find something three- otherwise my cpu load is at 50-70% sometimes 100% when running small things it doesnt matter- but games run no problems whatsoever except at load times..sometimes a little longer but NO WHERE near as dreadul as installing something or extracting- that is utter brutality!

oh i also have winxp 64 fully updated..mayhaps getting rid of the other os will get rid of the possible conflict of 32/64bit drivers? i have them all installed in the correct folder of its own respective OS environment...

i will see- i have a feeeling though it will help alot- thanks again game on!