Up next - HTPC. What case?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Liqourice, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Gonna build myself a HTPC before summer and I pretty much have selected all the hardware I'm gonna use. Except one important part, the case.

Been looking around a bit and there aren't that many to chose from really but I've found this one.

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTE3NA==

Just want to ask if anyone knows if it's a good one or not.

2. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

Not too shabby. I admit I don't know much about HTPC's but I would always stick one in a SFF case instead simply from a looks perspective. I have never been a fan of slim cases.

From what I have read it looks like it will be up to the job. I'm a bit pressed for time but are there any reviews on it from tech websites?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  3. Liqourice

Found one review and it said it was decent. Haven't searched that much for reviews though.

There's two reasons why I'm considering this one. First it has an lcd display, I want that. Second, I can go to the big retailer only a 10 minute walk from home and get it any day. It's just easy so if it's a decently good one I'll get it.

4. Lowfat

Lowfat Xtreme

How much are you looking to spend?

Silverstone LC17B isn't a bad HTPC case. It looks great & is very large. Although the metal edges in the case are extremely sharp.

Lian Li PC-C36 is also a very good looking as well. Although I have never owned this one.

5. Liqourice

Don't know for sure how much I'm willing to spend. About the same as I paid for my HAF932 I suppose. Maybe a little bit more.

I know I want it with an lcd screen for current information, I want it full height so I can put any card in it if ever I need to, it has to be black. With those in mind I don't have that many choises.

Using Prisjakt - Kunskap före köp to find out what's avaliable here ni Sweden.

This Antec is about the only one avaliable for a decent price.

6. Grace

Grace HH's Tomboy

I've seen that Antec case up close before. It is a well made case. Not the best one I've ever seen but it certainly won't disappoint you. I'd go for it if you like it.

7. Liqourice

It's the only one that fits my demands and still have a reasonable price so it will probably be that one yes.

Since I won't be adding a discrete gpu to the system, as I've understood it will be enough with the 4200 built in the ATI 785GX chipset, I'm sure it will be able to handle the heat as well.

Still want the size though, in case I find I want or need to expand it and full height cards are cheaper and easier to find than half height.

Not quite decided on which AMD cpu I'm gonna go for yet. The Athlon II X2 235E seems like a good choise, being only 45W and all.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  8. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

The Fusion series are generally very popular, so I think you can't go wrong with this one.

Remember the tv tuner :)!

9. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Three of my colleagues either are or have been using this case for HTPC with good results. With a relatively low heat CPU it's ideal to use a Ninja Mini, as the nearby case vents makes it do great without a fan. I'd switch out the included Antec fans for something much less noisy, like for instance Scythe's Slip Stream 800 or even the 500. The 800rpm model does about 500 at 5-6V, if regulation is an option.

The case is quite deep though, so make sure there's room where it's to be positioned. Silverstone has some good, shorter alternatives but without any included display and remote for what I've seen.

10. Liqourice

There's plenty of room where I'm gonna put it so that's not an issue.

11. Liqourice

So.. this is the deal:

Antec Fusion Remote Black case
    Some AMD 785GX based motherboard, not quite decided which one yet.
    AMD Athlon II X2 235E 2.7GHz
    WD Caviar Green 640 GB

And the mems I have in my current main rig.

This should be enough, but what kind of PSU would be adequate for this?

12. Liqourice

Ok, so this is what I decided to get.

Antec Fusion Remote Black mATX HTPC case
    ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO
    Athlon II X2 235E 45W
    WD Caviar Green 640GB
    Corsair CX400W PSU
    Crucial Ballistix 2x2GB 1600
    Win 7 HP
    LG Blu-ray BH08LS20

Any pointers?