Updaterate issues in CSS

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by TheAscension, Dec 21, 2008.

1. TheAscension

TheAscension New Member

Anyone have any issues with inbound data rate in Counter Strike Source? This is supposedly controlled by cl_updaterate and relates to the tic rate of the server. This information is seen using net_graph 3.

Check this out for background:

Reducing Choke, Optimize your network settings - Counter-Strike Guide, Tips and Strategy - FPS GOD

As you can see from the net_graph 3 images and what is being explained, the "in" and "out" are supposed to be equal. However, when I'm playing my "in" is WAY higher than my "out" and can sometimes jump up significantly. I do get some major choke too. From what I understand it is network related. I just swapped out my router (since I was having trouble with in anyway) but that didn't help.

I really doubt it's the NIC in my machine, but I can try swapping that out too. I would like to swap out my modem, but I don't have a spare.

Any ideas?

P.S. I have tried all of the console commands (cl_updaterate, cl_cmdrate, rate) in CSS to try and optimize my connection and nothing has worked.

2. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Is was thinking this to be more your problem. Which ISP do you have and what level of service do you have from them?

3. TheAscension

TheAscension New Member

It's a good thought but I'm not getting any "Loss" really. But to answer your question, I have Comcast's standard 12Mb service.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR New Member

Unless you ant to stay more time in freakin autoexec and console, leave as it is (default) and add lag compensation tweaks. No matter what you'll set, CS:S will work like rotten crap. Once you'll pwn everyone around, next time they'll be pwning you. And for no real reason, just because CS:S's netcode totally sucks. But i guess Valve's top priority was useless HDR instead fixing the very foundation of the game...

5. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

6. Synergist

Synergist New Member

What network equipment are you rolling with? CS:S can cause major issues for some home routers, it's just too demanding on their uPnP service for them to keep up and they bomb out.

Choke is more due to the route your data is taking as far as I'm aware... Not much you can do about that except find other servers to play on which are geographically closer to you. What's your ISP?

7. TheAscension

TheAscension New Member

I apologize that I haven't looked at this post since people have replied. I've been so frustrated with CSS that I've almost given up on it. I bought a new system in August to fix the frame rate issue I had with my other machine, and now I'm having this problem. Anyway...

My network equipment is just a WRT54G router, with a standard run-of-the-mill RCA modem, and my onboard NIC (see specs for mobo). I'm using Comcast's standard HSI package (which is actually quite fast where I live).