Updating to windows 8.1? Don't want to use a Microsoft Account?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Judas, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

So I've already read a barrage of people being quite frankly pissed off about either installing 8.1 fresh (the official release) or Upgrading from an existing windows 8.0 or previous version of windows and getting to the initial setup screens only to be greeted with what appears to be the one and only option.

That being:

"Sign in with Microsoft Account" (aka Hotmail/outlook/live/etc Microsoft online account)

Don't have a ms account, well sign up to sign in.

This is when the shit hits the fan essentially as with windows 8.0, you could go "naw, I don't want one, i'll setup a local user account"... however this option is COMPLETELY missing, and you can't proceed without.

Suffice it to say, there are a few ways to resolve this matter. Personally the easiest way is to simply do this:

in the sign in areas, type in

localhost@localhost.localhost

with the password being

Hit sign in, wait a fairly brief period of time, and it'll complain about the username/password being bad/unable to sign in and then directly below that, gives you an option to Sign in with a local account.

Hit that, then it'll ask if you want to setup a new one or use existing. Obviously this is your choice at that point, I think most are going to go with existing. Once that is done, you're on your way to enjoying a local account style solution without any need to "sign in" at all or ever have a Microsoft account to do the 8.1 update and to use it.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Wait... You have to sign into MS to use your copy of Win8 normally? I mean without your work-around and all...

3. Judas

with 8.1.... it'll "require" you to have a valid Microsoft provided email account.

unless you do the work around.

just like to access the store specific applications, you HAVE to have a ms account.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Windows 7 is going to be active for a long, long time for me then. :annoyed:

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

^^^ Same here.

6. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Ho-ly-shit they did it worse than I could imagine. Retailers are going to drown in angry phone calls when people first start up their new 8.1 machines. I'm glad I'm not the first to answer at work.

I bet some OEM's have looked for any possible ways to make it easier on the customer, like they've done with Windows 8 before. Probably can't help with this one though.

Edit: I haven't tried but read that if installing without an internet connection(contrary to as normally adviced) there should appear a local accound option. I really hope that works.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  7. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

Surface and Desktop upgraded. Desktop was installed with no net connection and i am now in 8.1 with my previous local account.

8. Judas

Yes installing WITHOUT a connection will provide local account options automatically..

However most people generally install with.. and once you do it with .... well this option solution is by far the easiest.

9. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I upgraded my desktop PC to Windows 8.1, signed in as I had no other option then when I got to the desktop, I opened up user accounts and signed out, which logs you in as a local user (the same user as 8).
    As for settings. I lost my lock screen wallpaper and I was prompted to choose a user to sign in with (ie: ask for password) again, both of which are easily remedied.

All good :)

10. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Maybe it's because I've been using the Enterprise version, but the local account feature is still there, it has just been moved. Click "I want to create an account" and in that window, you can choose to use a local account.

11. Judas

Likely enterprise.... because it's sure not available on the windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 Pro versions

12. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

That would be surprising, if it's only in Enterprise, but again it's Microsoft.

13. Judas

Enterprise is not a typical Consumer based windows product... so it's really not at all surprising.

14. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

And again, most of the "normal" users won't know the difference and will just go along with it.