Upgrading Memeory Now Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Widkidone, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Widkidone

Widkidone New Member

Well what i am doing is trying to upgrade 1GB of PC-3200 (400) TO 2GB PC-3200 (400). What i have done first was make sure i was grounded before i open my case. I open my case. Then i take out the two 512mb of memory and replaced them with two 1Gb of memory. No big deal right??? Wrong!

Now before i close the case i made sure that the video card is secured and the memory sticks are secured as well. The tower case is now secured.

I turn on the tower then turn on the monitor, but the monitor is not responding. What is the little light by the power button is flashing. The monitor screen is completely black. There is NO warnings of any type or anything.

Shut off the computer then i reopen the case swap the new ram back to the old ram and i am getting the same problem. The video card i have tested in my other system and it works with no problems.

Now what is the answer to this riddle?

2. ReDGuiTaR

ReDGuiTaR New Member

Have you tried to reset the cmos ?

3. Widkidone

Widkidone New Member

That would be a...... NO. What would i have to do to reset it?

4. ReDGuiTaR

ReDGuiTaR New Member

then do it first!

5. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

Check your motherboards manual. There will be a jumper somewhere on the board which you need to remove/move and this resets all the CMOS settings. Its usually a good idea to remove the CMOS battery as well. Leave the machine powered off with the power cable removed for 15-10 minutes and then replace the battery, move the jumper back to its original position and power up. You will have to setup all your BIOS settings but hopefully the new memory will then work.

Edit: Forgot to ask, what brand is the RAM your'e trying to install.

6. Widkidone

Widkidone New Member

I am using the OCZ ram. I did all that and still failed.... any other ideas?

7. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

Have you updated to the latest BIOS for your motherboard? It may be that the BIOS you have on there is one of the first releases and that BIOS may not be able to support 2GB.
    Have you tried the new memory in different slots on the board and have you tried each stick on its own - you may have one faulty stick which is stopping the machine from booting.

EDIT: Scratch all that. Just realised that the machine isn't booting with the old ram in.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2005
  8. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

Just a thought, but have you tested the monitor on another system??

A similar thing happened to me, and it took me hours to figure it out. For some reason it never occured to me the monitor might have died.....

9. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

with reference to the the edit in my last post, you might want to try and strip all the components out and reconect everything.

When you power up the machine, can you tell if it boots up? Like when you hit the power button do you get lots of hard disk activity for the same amount of time it would take for the machine to fully boot?

Or does it just sit there with the fans spinning but doing nothing or do you get any beeps coming from the tower?
    If that is the case, you have probably killed your motherboard. The last motherboard did exactly the same thing after I fitted a waterblock to the northbridge and I chipped the corner of the core. It was only a couple of weeks old but completly useless after that.

Try powering up the machine with everything removed and if it boots, add a new component then reboot and continue on until you get the failure, then you know which part is causing the fault, but to be totally honest, it looks like a failed mobo.

10. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

I'd try to move the RAM around a couple of times. Just take them out and reseat them try different ramslots and one memory stick a time.

11. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i like to repeat other advices above.
    and, you don't have to make it too secured or by pressing on the RAMs (and video card) too many times. maybe just check them one last time before closing the case by pressing both edges of the RAMs with little force. it could happen that the RAMs may not contact with DIMM sockets in the right position. you would hear a click/confirmation sound that indicates the clip at both edges of DIMM sockets are already secured the RAMs. that's all it needs for it to be in its place.

reinsert both the RAMs and the video card into its sockets. and see.

12. gonz0

gonz0 New Member

Wikid, try putting your old ram back in and seeing if the monitor works then? Also try only putting in one stick of the new ram @ a time and see if the bios will post. Don't forget to dump the CMOS.

13. Widkidone

Widkidone New Member

Yeah guys i did that all that of what you have metion. I checked every thing from the video card and ram being secured and snuggled in.......GRRRRR!!!

Update: Well i took my computer in to see a tech.... and so far nobody has figured out the issue. Checked Monitor..... it works.....check video card... it works. Ram was placed in properly those are fine.

So it might be the motherboard has might have taken a dump or something is my theory sice it did not start up with the old ram as well. So just IF my theory is correct, i am looking to replacing it with a P5P800 LGA775 and might as well upgrade the CPU and i am looking at the P4 PD series 830 Dual Core (3.0 GHz) if they are compatible to each other. But we will see later on this week what happens...... i shall be back online with vengence, LOL.

I just want to say thanks Tefra from www.3dacc.net and the Driverheaven.net community for helping out on this issue. The only way i can get online is when i am here at work, and that sucks..... i want to play my BF2 :annoyed:

14. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

sux man. from reading the thread, it seems to me that your MoBo took a dump. And if this will bring you to purchasing a new MoBo along w/the P-D 830, it has to be either a 945/955 or nVidia nForce 4 Intel edition chipset. the 915/925 chipsets won't work w/the P-D processors.

Also, since your current MoBo is a 478 socket, you have DDR1. the importance of why i bring this up, is because you are looking to upgrade if your MoBo is dead (which seems to be the case, but i could be wrong still). the new set up will require you to get DDR2, so you will either have to exhange the memory you just purchased for some DDR2, or move it to another machine and purchase some DDR2.

15. Widkidone

Widkidone New Member

16. CDsDontBurn

ok, so you got me on the memory. the memory will work w/that MoBo. however, as far as the CPU goes, it will not. like i said before, in order to get a P-D working, you must have either a 945/955 chipset MoBo or an nVidia nForce 4 Intel edition chipset MoBo to use a P-D.

17. Widkidone

Widkidone New Member

18. CDsDontBurn

You're looking at a 640 chip. on ASUS' website i have found this so far. from what i'm understanding of that FAQ there, it will support any 6x0 chips. and all 5x0 chips are basically the 478 chips w/a new socket, so definatley no problem w/a 5x0 chip :)

19. Widkidone

Widkidone New Member

First the the link is broken or something. And this http://www.ctpcomputer.com/CPU%20In...MB%203_4GHz.htm i cannot use..... :x Well any ideas then?? What would support my X850XT 256mb AGP and my OCZ PC 3200 (400) DDR 2GB (2 pcs 1GB) that is assuming that my current motherboard is toast.

Now as for going to the AMD route would the following support my X850XT 256mb AGP and my OCZ PC 3200 (400) DDR 2GB (2 pcs 1GB):

http://www.ctpcomputer.com/Motherboard%20Asus%20A8V%20Deluxe.htm

http://www.ctpcomputer.com/CPU%20AMD-939%20X2%20Ath-4200.htm

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  20. CDsDontBurn

That MoBo you found should work fine w/the x2 chip. however the MoBo may need a BIOS update for it to work w/that chip. I would rather recomend you get an nForce 3 chipset MoBo though. you will get better performance out of your rig w/an nForce 3 chipset.

oh, and the link works fine for me. might be something on your end :confused: