Upgrading PC where to start?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by KaotiK, Jan 30, 2012.

1. KaotiK

KaotiK New Member

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: EX58-UD3R
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
    Memory: 6142MB RAM
    Page File: 2676MB used, 9804MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
    Display Memory: 3827 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1012 MB
    Shared Memory: 2815 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Creative SB X-Fi Sound Card
    850W Corsair Power Supply

There my current pc specs, im trying to improve my setup, and hardware lately so i want to upgrade my pc again, but what should i upgradse first? or what needs to be upgraded. Ive always wanted to overclock my cpu but i have no experience doing it and have always been to scared to incase i fuck something up lol.

2. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

You could certainly consider some overclocking with that build. What cooler do you have?

Your current PC is already very good. The i7-920 keeps up with current generation mid-high-end CPUs for the most part and a 5870 (or even 5850/5830 really) is crazy overkill for 1680*1050. What are you upgrading for?

If the answer is "because I want to", I'd say get a new monitor, possibly an SSD if you don't already have one :)

3. KaotiK

KaotiK New Member

Im ordering a new monitor tommorow, i made a thread here to on that, and had some good reccomendations, so il soon be on 1980x1080? or w/e is for a 23-24 inch monitor.

Im not sure what cooler it is, but its a massive thing on the cpu cooling it lol, not a standard one anyway.

Reason i want to upgrade is i guess i feel like i dont have a beast pc sometimes as i cant run BF3 for example on ultra,well i can run it but it isnt smooth, prolly not muich difference from high to ultra but ye

4. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

My bad, hadn't realised it was you. I've been following that thread, too :p

Ok, I take it you have a lot of disposable income :p

For the CPU, I'm not the best adviser for socket 1366 overclocking, but I'm told it's reasonably simple. There are a lot of good guides out there. Intel's advised voltage range is 0.800V-1.375V. Not sure what a safe max temperature would be, but whatever it is, you should use RealTemp to measure it :p There's also a number of good stability tests out there. My personal favourite is Prime95.

However, BF3 is a GPU bottlenecked game on most higher end systems.

[​IMG]

For the GPU, I'm actually kinda surprised that the 5870 doesn't cut it at Ultra in BF3. BF3 is pretty much the most demanding game out there atm, though (afaik).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you want to go nuts in this particular game, that looks quite an expensive project. Are you sure it's worth it just to play at >High settings in one game?

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

personally considering the stellar the performance that 920 i7 1366 cpu provides... i think your roasting along well.. probably the only significant upgrade i could recommend would be the video card first... and the ram second.

the intel 920 can drive 1600mhz DDR3 very well... so if you think about replacing your current 3x2gb kit with a 3x4gb kit... that would bring things up a bit..

not as much as say a Radeon HD6xxx 2gb card would... the 6950 2gb models are exceptional.... and with 2gb... it'll last awhile... there price is great bang for buck..

Obviously overclocking has real potential.... depending on the heatsink.. i know for a fact that 99% of the intel 920's with good thermal paste (not using the stock thermal pad that came with the cooler) can usually muster a 3ghz clock speed with essentially no decernable difference in temperature.. I personally just upped the bus speed.

3.2ghz is obtainable by a good number of people... without much craziness.

anything higher start involving the voltage better cooling and whatnot.

For your case i'd probably just try for 3ghz or 3.2ghz and stay there for awhile.

Anything more significant will require more significant changes to the system which wouldn't be very "cost" effective... like moving to a high end model i7.... but wouldn't necessarily perform all that much better.

Personally i never advise anyone to make any serious upgrades to a system with a board/socket design that is no longer being developed/supported. If your going to buy a new cpu.... may as well spend the money on a new board to match right?

6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I just recently bought a XFX HD 6950 2GB card and it has pretty much dampened my interest in other upgrades at this point.

So, with the new monitor you're getting, I'd advise to go with a HD 6950 2 GB card and then, if you're still not happy, start doing the upgrade dance. ;)

7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Worth noting: the above posters game (at least in some games, possibly all, not sure) at >1080p. Judas also uses texture packs. So you might not see an instant reward for more video RAM.

That said, I heartily condone it as a future-proofing method if you want a new card anyway and the price difference is minimal.

8. KaotiK

KaotiK New Member

so a 6950 2gb wont be overkill for my pc? deffo worth it? like do i have a good enough power supply to support that

The ram is a deffo upgrade ima get, i think i need more than 6gb now also

What about vista? should i upgrade to windows 7? or isit not worth it?

cheers

9. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Your power supply is fine for whatever.

I don't think you need more than 6GB for gaming.

Windows 7 is nice, but... how can I put this. If you're the kind of person that it'd cost money to switch to 7 from Vista for, I'm not sure I'd bother. Others may disagree, their opinions are equally valid :D

10. caqde

caqde Active Member

Well windows 7 would be an upgrade that would help and it would make better use of the 6GB of memory you have right now with Vista when on your desktop the memory used by the GPU to draw the desktop is stored both in your CPU's memory and your GPU's memory. In 7 that data is only stored in one or the other, not both. Also Windows 7 is a bit better with multi-core processors.

But at this point in time I am not sure if it is better to wait until OCT for Win 8 or to get Win 7 right now. But I am sure that Windows 7 is better than Vista.

With your videocard the 6950 is about 20% faster than the 5850 if you have a 5870 I wouldn't be to sure of upgrading to a 6950 as you would be just moving to a new architecture with about the same performance with the exception of a few games that prefer the HD6900 series new architecture. In the next two months we will see the release of the HD7800 series which will have the HD7870 (New Arch should be as fast as the HD6970) and the HD7850 (New Arch should be as fast as the HD6950). As the HD7970 showed great tessellation performance compared to the HD6000 series these should be better if you want to use tessellation in when playing games. They should also be great overclockers.

11. KaotiK

KaotiK New Member

hmmm now im not sure what to do lol. ive always thought i had a rubbish PC compared to some but you guys seem to say mines not that bad.

So really my 5870 is good enough for now? i have a windows 7 already i think from when i bought my pc 2 years ago it hink it was if i can find it.

Il give overclocking my cpu a go i guess. Im trying to learn how everything works in my pc so i can upgrade and build in the futurwe as ive always jsut bought a a PC built by overclockers uk for example!

One question though, the fan on the back of the pc isnt working, would it be a case if the cable come lose or something? it looks like the cable for it goes behind the motherboard :S

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

You've been severely misinformed, I'd kill for that PC :p

Ah. Well, yes, there are always those with the latest and greatest. That doesn't mean that that's wise or even useful for everyone, though.

It probably is supposed to connect directly to the power supply, via a 4-pin connector. See if you can follow the wire by opening up the other side of the case :p

13. KaotiK

KaotiK New Member

ive been playing a lot of bf3 recently, and on High settings, my pc runs it around 40-70 fps, but more so in the lower region sometimes dipping to 38 or something. When its around 40 i notice its not very smooth, and its frustrating me so its making me want to upgrade something to fix that lol.

can anyone suggest some parts for me?

14. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Seems to me that it's your GPU that is holding you back. Everything else should be fine for any game. I know nothing about Radeon cards so someone else will have better advice than me for what would make a good replacement.

If it was me I would consider a GTX580 or maybe hold off for a few months for the Kepler 6xx.xx series cards.

15. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I'm with Jac on the diagnosis, but it's going to cost you a lot to get a noticeable step up from the 5870.

16. KaotiK

KaotiK New Member

so is my cpu , just on the standard clock good enough?

17. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

For BF3 at high settings, yes.

HD 7970: Bulldozer vs. Sandy Bridge vs. Nehalem Review - Page 5/21 | techPowerUp

For Nehalem, read i7-920@stock. Clearly your CPU is already overkill for BF3 (even with a 7970@1024*768 :D).

Your GPU, however, doesn't laugh at the game to quite the same extent.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7950/8.html

That graph only includes very high-end cards, which is why yours ends up at the bottom. Nothing with a noticeable performance jump is going to come cheap, though you could consider 5870 crossfire if you can pick one up very cheaply. 5870 crossfire performs slightly above a 5970, but (like the 5970, GTX590, 6990 and other dual-GPU setups) may suffer from micro-stuttering and driver issues.

(I feel I'm kinda repeating my earlier posts here. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012