upmix line-in signal to 7.1 surround output signal! getting desperate!! HELP!

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by marco1988, Oct 9, 2006.

1. marco1988

marco1988 New Member

hi 4 all!

i just bought a new 7.1 surround system (gigaworks s750), and i had to update my old sb live 5.1 sound card to a newer one supporting 7.1 outputs.

now i'm using an old sb audigy 2 nx usb.

i know kx drivers are not supported..

i really loved them, they made my old sb live sound really good..

.. anyways i hope you can help me to solve my really, really big problem, since noone else seems to be able to give me a solution..

THE PROBLEM IS..

I'm a deejay, and i need to plug my mixer into the line-in jack of my sound card..
    but, as you probably know, creative driver doesn't allow you to route the line-in signal to all the speakers, but it redirects it only to the 2 front, stereo ones..

i'm getting desperate, without kx i can't do that..

but kx drivers arent supported!

don t say me "change sound card", please, this one is a gift and i cannot throw it in the recycle bin!!!

i asked you about this problem because i see you are really skilled in 3d audio!

i think that one possible solution could be to find a program that takes the signal from line -in, even if line-in sound is disabled in the windows mixer, and redirects it to the "wave system signal"..

it surely would be a solution, because creative sound cards have the cmss feature that turns every "system wave" sound from 2.0 into 7.1 sound, so i only have to find a program that does that, a program that redirects line-in sound to system wave line, so it will be converted into surround signal!

i think almost every recording/ripping tool colud do that, a least the ones that have a "line-in preview" feature..

but i googled and the result was.... NOTHING!!

is it possible that no one ever noticed this problem? i think it's a HUGE problem, not being able to upmix line-in stereo sound with creative drivers!

any solution? please help me, i'm getting desperate!

thanks in advance, and sorry for my english, i'm a poor 18yrs old italian boy who only wants to plug his small mixer into his fantastic 7.1 surrond system!

bye! ciao!

2. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

I thought you could do this with CL drivers in ASIO...?? but Im not a dj - nor did I use the CL drivers for very long...

Did you try ASIO? - I *thought* each physical output was designated a seperate ASIO port. But Im probably wrong. It would be like surround mixing I would guess. - Each speaker being an ASIO line.

How you describe sounds like how it would be using WDM..

3. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Ok I thionk I was mis-understanding...

I would try using a media player that converts 2.0 to 7.1.
    For instance - winamp - I can force to use FFDSHOW for MP3 playback - which has the ability to upconvert 2.0 to 5.1 - and the driver decodes the 'surround' as AC3 - but I dont recall it supporting 7.1, just 5.1 IIRC. Only other way is DTS decoding I'd think. Or DVD audio if encoded for 7.1.

As for mixing in line in with surround playback - you need to be able to process with other software - like a VST host - and mix with playback into specific ASIO channels.

Or - get a new sound card... :D

4. marco1988

marco1988 New Member

thanks for reply, but my problem is not to upmix mp3s or dvds, because ALL the "internal" sound of windows are already upmixed from 2.0 to 7.1 by the cmss encoder of the audigy!

the problem is that cmss doesn't upmix the line-in channel..!

sorry for my incompetence but.. how to use a vst plugin?
    i don't want to record anything, i just want to redirect line-in sound to the "wave" line of windows mixer..

but i can't find any program that does this redirection..

but i'm sure it actually exists [somewere.. :( ].. because a lot of people use line-in input to record old LPs.

a software that allows you to prelisten your recording, for example with realtime noise processing, MUST exist! please help me to find it!

it seems to be the easiest solution.. at least in my opinion!

thanks!

5. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

I imagine some A VST host will do similar - some people use a PC with VST effects as a 'guitar effects processor' - which, depending on what VST effects have - (like a srround panner or surround reverb) will take a stereo signal and make a surround (upmix) sound out of it. Another effect could be a mp3 player VST - I thought I seen them as well (for guitarist to play along with - even real time phrase recorders)

Yes they exist - but as far as I know- its not really aimed at DJ'ing - because normally in a big club - mono is probably most common - certainly surround sux as it is more meant for a 'theater' (ala - no line in effects needed).

Then there is programs like reaktor that will do exactly as your asking - but it isnt free or cheap.

6. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Not upmixed to 7.1 they dont.

Just record in stereo - and playback upmixed.

7. atalwar

atalwar New Member

Here's How to UPMIX line In

First This cannot be done is CRAP! IT can be done. But i am not a VC++ + directx programmer so i coldnt write a program to do so, so i have to do that manually. here is how.

get graphedit : This is a Free tool to test directshow graphs.

1.Add filter manaully , You will need sound card input filter to choose input source.

2.Some directshow filter you have like AC3 codec or other upmixer or audx.

3. Select your soundcard as renderer.

Connect theese modules and save the graph.
    Hit play in graphedit to start processing and you can hear your incoming line in on soundcard via upmixer. fiddle around it's matrix to route your line signal whereever you want. If you want to use your cards own filters etc , check in filters if they are supported as directshow and you can do anything there.

regards & good luck.

BTW: i have been watching my tv via AUD-x upmixing since i came with graphedit idea. tv viewing has never been better.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006