Ur boot up time

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Shadow Lady, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

ok, just curiops of how fast is ur boot up time ^^

Im interested in times without and after BootVis like mine:
    ohh u can see this time tracing ur system + drivers with bootvis too (if u didnt knew ;))

Normal: 40 seconds
    BootVis: 32.5 seconds

AMD Athlon XP 1700+ @ 1544mhz
    256MB DDR (2-2-2-5)
    20GB Samsung HD (1mb cache)
    MSI KT3 Ultra 2 (VIA KT333)

2. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Well I c...27 and with boot vis 27

Takes only 23 to get to the desktop

All my lag is from tons programs that load on startup.. Otherwise my system fly’s

Last edited: Sep 14, 2003
  3. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

i dont use boot vis, i use another tweak. i boot to logon in 12 seconds. the startup is 7 seconds. so about 19 seconds. thats when i dont have norton antivirus lol

4. C3po

C3po New Member

29 second, PIII 1GHZ Corpermine, 256 MB Ram 133, HDD maxtor 37Gb 2mB cache + a lot of tweaks

5. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Don't have the BootVis file.....

I've searched google for about a half hour and can't find BootVis.exe anywhere. All the sights that have a link take you to MS to get it. But MS says the file is unavailable. I did find one site that had it for download, but there was no way to tell if it was the old or new version of BootVis, or if it was just a sucker virus. Naturally, I want the NEWER version if I bother with it at all and I want to be SURE of it's integrity. Know what I mean?

I've been trying to get this file for awhile now since I've seen people talking about it. I figured that MS would have put it back up already. It's been over a month since MS's site has said it's 'unavailable'.
    Makes me wonder if it's safe....why else wouldn't it be there to download? :duh:

I don't get it.....something's going on......has to be a reason. :hmm:

6. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

Here's BootVis there is a newer version with a bigfix for p4, but this one should work perfect :p

h**p://shadowlady.100megsfree5.com/BootVis.exe

7. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I use X-setup for defrag boot time enhancements and boot time programs cached enhancements- I use Norton and I'm at the welcome screen in around 20 seconds. Desktop in 25- fast enough for me.

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I never counted...but from the time i first see the WINDOW XP logo on the black screen (wtih the blue bars).... to the time i have a mouse pointer (no HD active).... would probably be around teh 10-15 seconds... I don't even see the blue bar go to the middle..... Problem though.. something is seriouslly wrong with my HD's as my read speed is normal... but my write speed is getting worse every day.. (i have 2 hardrives)

9. Rayder

Thanks, Shadow Lady for the file, even if it is the old one. I'm AMD anyway.

How long does this program take to optimize? I did the 'trace' function, rebooted. Now, when I told it to 'optimize' and it rebooted, it's sitting at the window that says, "Optimizing the system for boot performance". It's been sitting there for about 45minutes now. I see no harddrive activity. How long is this operation supposed to take? I have about 23gigs used of 42.9gigs total.

I'm currently using a different PC in the house to type up this message.

EDIT: When I timed my bootup, it was 52 seconds from the time I hit the power button, to the time the 'wait' cursor went away. Still waiting for this 'optimizing' to finish before I can time it that way.........been waiting an hour now....

Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
  10. Rayder

I have determined that either this program isn't working, or I don't know what I'm doing with it. It just sat there for over an hour on the 'optimizing' window iwthout any signs of activity whatsoever. I ended up just cancelling out of it. Now, when I cold-boot the system, it takes over a minute to boot. :mad: I yanked BootVis and it's 'trace' files the hell out of my system.

What a waste of time this BootVis program has been.......only thing I saw it do was show me some worthless diagrams. :annoyed:

11. BWX

BWX get out and ride

That sucks man, I bet I can help you get a much faster boot up though.

Download X-setup. http://www.xteq.com/

Go to automatic updates in the program and let it update itself.

Then goto default for power users in the main program window.

Then goto
    System/Windows NT/2k/XP Options/boot optimizations.

Check "enable boot optimizer" -- this enables the defrag part of the boot optimization and will work after you do a defrag.

THEN-
    Goto-
    Custom/File system/prefetch options/
    check "optimize for fast boot (overides above settings)"

click apply apply changes button after making any of these changes-

reboot, reboot again, then defrag.

I guarantee you will have a MUCH faster boot up- You can also get your machine to shutdown much faster with X-setup in some cases by changing the default time for "auto-end services" time from the default of 20 seconds to 1 second. (it worked for me anyway)- which will speed up reboots.

X-setup is an awesome free program. I haven't ever installed XP without installing X-setup.

12. Rayder

Thanks for suggesting, X-Teq, but I'm not gonna play with those programs at this point. My system was just fine until I messed with that BootVis garbage, now it's gonna take awhile to get it back to where it was. I'm not ready to run yet another tweaker program through it. I'm beginning to wonder if these programs really HELP anything or just give you an illusion of doing something while simultaneously screwing-up something else. Besides, who cares if it takes 30 seconds or 50seconds to boot anyway?

I'm not picking on you BWX232, it's just annoying when these so-called optimizers cause more problems than they solve and I'm little pissed off about the whole situation right now, that's all.

Nicotine withdrawal doesn't help my mood either.....everything just seems about 10x more aggravating than normal at this point.

Sorry if this has gone off-topic, but my times got WORSE using BootVis!

13. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Well, X-setup does not run in the background and if used correctly does not mess anything up- If you use it only for certain things you will be fine. I believe it just tweaks some registry settings that are very easily reversible from the program. I suggest you give it a try if you want to "get your system back to normal" If you don't like it you can ininstall it- it is an awesome program and I bet not one person would ever disagree. It's better than many programs that cost money to have. Seriously.

Edit- I would be pissed off too- But I'm telling ya- just try out X-setup- if only for that reason- I bet you won't be pissed about THAT problem anymore!:D

Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
  14. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

yes, this one works, but the BootVis one, makes this and makes the BootFiles together apart on the disk, which makes it better ^^

@Rayder: maybe u had disabled the task manager sertvice or somethen.

15. Sharkims

Sharkims Seen my brain?

*Correct*

Boot times +-Bootvis:

15seconds-without
    9seconds-with

16. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

wow, thats fast ^^

17. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

your machine boots in 9 seconds to desktop?????:hmm:

18. Judas

mine on some occasions does 10ish?..is that odd?

19. Judas

BTW, if i did a count from the time i push the button to desktop..then it would be ages as i have memory test on.... as well as the highpoint technology controller has to kick in with detecting serial ata's... as well as 8 IDE channels..

20. Sharkims

Sharkims Seen my brain?

Yeah, the only thing that would bottleneck it is my SATA-RAID, but the Intel RAID controller is insanely fast.

I am also not counting the time it takes me to type in my password because, I don't think anyone is?