USA Nave Blue Angels and Air Force Thunderbirds-Fly Over America

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Dyre Straits, May 2, 2020.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

In support of our Healthcare personnel, First Responders, and others at the forefront of the battle against COVID-19, the Navy and Air Force precision flight teams have joined together in a series of fly-overs throughout the USA.

Today, they flew over the metro Atlanta area (where I live) and I was able to get off from work early enough and to get my camera ready for this -- possibly -- once in a lifetime event.

At the gathering, a retiree from the Air Force and I spoke briefly...while social distancing. He told me that the flight crews had a little squabble before taking off this morning as to which team was going to lead first. ;) It went back and forth for awhile until it was decided by.... a flip of the coin. :)

The video and pics I did get are acceptable, but, I can tell you that as fast as they were flying, it really gave my camera's auto-focus a good workout!

IvanV likes this.
  2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Looking forward to some of those pics. :)

I'm asking as a photography noob, would it work to set the focus manually to infinity in advance in this kind of situation? BTW, unless I'm static and the subject I'm filming is static and relatively close, I really struggle to get acceptable video of anything.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  3. Dyre Straits

This particular SuperZoom camera doesn't have any manual focus....which is the big downside to owning it. However, it does a fabulous job when using the SuperZoom...except when you really need manual focus! :) This is a Fuji FinePix HL-1000

I do own another superzoom from Sony. But, that camera's view screen got damaged when a huge gust of wind knocked over the tripod I had it on while taking videos...while setting up the Fuji for still pics on another tripod. The Sony does have Manual Focus. I was really, truly bummed when it got damaged. The cost of repairing it, though, would be more than what I paid for it originally.

As for the still shots of the Fly Over: I had to use screen grabs from the video to get those. So, they are blurry due to that.

Navy Blue Angels...
    [​IMG]

Air Force Thunder Birds...
    [​IMG]

This link should take you to the video....

https://www.facebook.com/622164838/videos/pcb.10158269958969839/10158269958684839/

IvanV likes this.
  4. Dyre Straits

This was last night's half moon taken with the Fuji camera...
    [​IMG]

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Nice! It must have been quite a sensation when those jets flew over. And the Moon is as mesmerizing as ever.

Dyre Straits likes this.