USB Write Protect Software

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Tipstaff, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that? I haven't used the drive or software myself, but from this, it looks like it has full write protect.

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Oh, snap! I looked at the drive numerous times, and totally missed that. Seagate damn well needs to put that right on the first page where they list the drive, and not bury it somewhere on their site <Stupid SOBs>. As soon as I saw not one mention of write protection I dismissed it imediately.

Thanks, Zelig. Nice find.

Edit: LOL.. stupid Seagate. You should see the price listings for this drive. They have 4 drives: 2.5GB ($100), 5GB (which they no longer sell), 6GB ($110)(and you have to wonder why I buy the 2.5GB for $10 less?), and 8GB ($150).

OH, something else I found out. There are 2 revisions of these drives, and apparently I have to get the rev.2 units to get the units that have write protection. They also, apparently, use Microdrives, which I"m none too fond of (most times they are slow.. like.. 3600rpms, which means an average of 6MB/s transfer speeds). I'll have to call Seagate tomorrow to confirm things.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I saw that but didn't think you would be interested since it has small capacity. Their largest drive is like a double layer DVDR.

4. Tipstaff

Capacity isn't an issue though... well.. not really. Most people either don't have DVD drives, or those that do, won't read dual layered discs, which is really the reason why I haven't gone that route. They should, however, all have a USB port of some type, and as long as the drive I get has USB 1.1 support, true 1.1 support, then I should be fine.

Just an update to this little adventure:

I've been running things using a fast card reader, and a couple SDHC cards I have (which have the write protect switch on them), and so far so good. A couple apps complain that they can't write to the drive, however I'm not too worried about that as the ones that are complaining are the ones that backup information before they do their changes. I've also been able to get most of my apps to install perfectly fine off of the drives, which at first wasn't easy (some just don't like being installed off anything except the CD they came on... or a copy of it).

I also got the chance to talk with Seagate, and sure enough, my concerns were confirmed. The Pocket Drive uses a Microdrive, so transfering data to it will be slow, to say the least. Still, even with a one year warranty, and slow speeds, having one of these around would be very usefull. Now all I have to do is wait for my supplier to actually have one in stock before I can do any testing with it.

5. Trusteft

I guess an external slimi USB dvd drive will not be a good solution.

6. Tipstaff

You know, I never thought of that one. It still means I'd have to carry a binder... even a small one for the DVDs (carrying the disc in the drive would eventually either destory the disc, or the drives lens), which is what I'm trying to avoid, but as a backup.. it would work in pinch, wouldn't it?

Thanks for that idea, Blue.

7. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

The best idea, and what I've found to work in your situation (which I find myself in constantly), is to carry around a 1GB USB drive formatted as NTFS (my solution for fixing 98 machines is to use something else other than 98 haha) with everything I find myself using in more than 50% of the time. I simply set the permissions on the volume for SYSTEM and EVERYONE as Read only, list directory. No write or full control. Then on my system at home (or my 'control' system) I set my user account to have full permission which superceedes the Everyone and SYSTEM having ro permissions. Then if there's anything else I might need to take along, a 2.5" USB hard drive set up in a similar fashion works quite well, being able to store everything and also handy as a backup drive for cloning smaller stuff (an empty FAT32 partition serves well for that, nothing to corrupt and keeps the tools separate from the work space).

8. Tipstaff

Nice idea, H3X. I'll have to give that a try tomorrow.

I've been using some of my spare 4GB SD cards, and so far they've worked out rather well. So well infact that if I didn't have that write protection on I would have been screwed a number of times already, cuz in 4 instances a virus tried to infect the cards. I only found out because of a program that I have actively running whenever I insert the card into a system told me a virus was up to no good.

I might also skip getting one of the Seagate Pocket Drives though. Right now the 8GB SDHC cards are pretty damn cheap... as low as $90 Canadian, which is about 1/2 of what it'd cost me for the Pocket Drive (as well as being way faster read/write wise). However, I may still get one to see how it runs (and if I don't like it I'll give it away to someone).

Thanks for all your help guys. You defiantly have given me some ideas to think about, and it's been much appreciated.

9. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Did you actually try my idea for the NTFS thing? I'd be interested to see how well it works for someone else :)

10. alibaba24

alibaba24 New Member

Why do you need to set Everyone with readonly permission and then set your permissions manualy ?

11. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Because the permissions set for your home machine will superceede the Everyone permissions and give you "normal" (full and unrestricted) access to your drive. Then for anything else except your home machine/account, the only permission given is read only which is all you need to launch installers and such.

12. MarcAnde

MarcAnde New Member

You can write protect yours pen drive or usb drives with this software.
    It is great!

Write protect a pen drive

I had the same problem.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  13. Trusteft

14. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux - Documentation

It may be possible to do something with a truecrypt volume, mounting readonly. This still leaves the possibility of tampering with any space not occupied by the truecrypt volume.

A hardware WP switch is the only way to be sure, and an SD card in a reader is actually not a bad way to get one, and would be of similar size to a pendrive, using a single function SD reader.

Do SD + USB cards heed write protect when connected via USB?

15. Tipstaff

Yep. Pretty much the way I settled on. Only problem is that they are kinda bulky due to the slot needed for the SD card.

This Pen Protector software has me interested, though.

16. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

17. Tipstaff

Thanks, Old B. I went with that idea a long time ago.

18. fiazasim

fiazasim New Member

where are the software dear

19. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

Lexar offers USB thumb-drives with software security software whereby public & secure areas can be established on the drive.

Secure areas can be accessed via password, and the secure area can configured to timeout after a certain amount of time. Furthermore, the thumb-drive can be configured to ask for a password to access the secure area evertime its plugged into a USB port.

20. FatalError

FatalError New Member

Hi h3x4d3c1m4l - I like this (NTFS volume permissions) idea as it can be used using the native operating system. I am curious, however, as to how effective this method would be at blocking viruses when the stick is inserted into an infected machine. Have you, or anyone, any experience of this method in this environment?
    Other than the virus question, this method works well - so simple I wonder why I didn't think of it earlier - full marks.