Useful utilities ...

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 8, 2002.

1. espionage_man

espionage_man New Member

2. eyeguy616

eyeguy616 ZZzzzzzzzzzz...........

Here's a good prog for converting .mp3's and .wav's and such:
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com
    It can convert to and from many different formats.

There's also another good free firewall besides zonealarm:
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost

And a tiny skinnable media player:
    http://coolplayer.sourceforge.net

Also, these two sites have nothing but links to freeware:
    http://www.tinyapps.org
    http://www.pricelessware.org
    Tinyapps.org obviously has links to tiny freeware apps. It's pretty amazing to see just how full featured some are when you can fit a bunch of 'em on a diskette.

~eyeguy616

Last edited: Jan 14, 2003
  3. bld155

bld155 lost Alaskan in the lower 48

DarkFoss i dont think that firewall checker works becouse it said all my stuff was good and i have no firewall, i just have a virusscanner

4. TEmp69

TEmp69 New Member

Browser:

www.crazybrowser.com

Uses the IE-engine but has ALOT of new features like Tabs, Groups and and and check it out

5. jp306

jp306 New Member

Well I don't think anyone has metioned Fraps yet. It works in every game I play and lets you see your fps realtime so you can really see how well your rig is running :cool:

6. niemic

niemic New Member

Thanks Zardon for the information :)

7. TEmp69

TEmp69 New Member

Anyother handy program, currently under heavily development!

www.samurize.com

Short description:
    Samurize is the successor to the quite popular program CureInfo. It is a system monitoring utility with awsome configuration power. The configuration program is totally separated from the client for minimal memory usage. For the moment Samurize is in beta state. This means: Bugs can and does exist, all optimitions have not yet been done. This is just a version to give you an idea of what's coming.

The program it self displays almost any kind of information right on your desktop/taskbar and homepage (server/taskbar version is in production).

Main features already implemented:
    * A superb configuration tool
    * Low CPU usage (<1% on Celeron 633)
    * Per pixel alpha blending (text and graphs is actually AA'd against your desktop)
    * Any perfmon object (a few 100 meters)
    * Script support (javascript/vbscript, ie make your own meters with ease)
    * Full memory monitoring (physical/virtual/swap)
    * Drive monitoring (network/fixed)
    * Laptop support (battery level etc)
    * Uptime
    * Date / Time
    * Winamp (song playing)
    * Full MBM support (any sensor, requires MotherBoard Monitor installed)
    * Click through (work right through your meters)
    * Always on top
    * Pin to desktop
    * Nice looking borders
    * Unlimited number of graphs/meters

Requirements:
    * Geforce 1 or better (needed to for hardware supported per pixel alpha blending)
    * Win2k/WinXP

8. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Parabens Cookie Manager

no it doesnt stop pop ups, no its doesnt defragment your hard drive and lastly no it doesnt fine tune windows XP. seems to me that nearly ever other cookie manager ive played with gives you one of the above options? why? dont ask me. not what I want, ive better programs to deal with all of them.

This is the best cookie manager out there, bar none ! for ease of use and total control over which cookies you want to keep, remove, block access, allow access etc. you have every control, on a site to site basis. small memory footprint and stable. one to recommend. only downside is it costs $15 (still worthwhile purchase IMO).

you can also configure it to run and close when you open and shut your browser so its not sitting in memory all the time.

http://www.paraben.com/html/cookie.html

9. tragic

tragic New Member

Some nice proggies being posted here:

This one is darn good also:http://www.alcohol-software.com/

Make perfect 1:1 back-ups of CDs and DVDs, Alcohol 120% is really the ultimate DVD / CD emulation and burning software.

Store your most used or important CDs as images on your computer and run them at 200x speed from up to 31 virtual CD or DVD drives!

Burn more than one CD or DVD at the same time, even from from different sources, using the latest multiple burners technology.

Highest drive compatibility - Alcohol is compatible with more than 99% of drives available and if it doesn't work with your drive we can improve it so let us know!

Supports the highest number of possible image file types including - MDS, CCD, BIN, CUE, ISO, CDI, BWT, BWI, BWS, BWA & many more...

Another i like is screenhunter 4.0 :freeware. Capture your sceen images in most shapes and sizes.
    http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter.htm

And a system info tool, with memory benchmarks Aida 32:http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

:)

10. wufong

wufong 涌现从薄雾

A nice little program to sort out the registry is Reg Cleaner , clears out all obselete registry entries etc.

There is a privacy 'bug/feature' in IE : IE stores the visited URL's in some hidden files (namely index.dat). When you clean your cache/history etc these files are not deleted! Spider scans these files for hidden URL's and puts those URL's in a file for you to consult/delete:) Very useful if you want to stop another user seeing the URL's you have visited;)

StatBar is a freeware system status bar which allows you to quickly get an overview of your system's condition (memory, CPU, uptime etc). These modules are available: battery status, CD door eject/close, CPU usage, Dial-Up Networking status, exit/lock buttons, harddisk information, locks status, master volume control, memory status, network traffic meter, QuickLaunch, RC5/OGR counter, time synchronization, Winamp controls, Windows uptime, and Windows version. I love the auto-hide option, which can be configured to either pop up the bar on a mousemove or on a mouseclick. :p

11. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

RADTOOLS....absolute MUST for video compression and/or conversion!

I've found this FREE Utility to be exceptional in its ability to convert and compress video. It handles compression very quickly.

It includes BINKS and SMACKER apps.

Get it here:

http://www.smacker.com/

Dyre Straits

12. karlotta

karlotta New Member

jv16 PowerTools 1.3 www.jv16.org
    Diskeeper Lite http://www.diskeeper.com

jv16 is a great regprog, and Diskeeper is a fine defrag app!
    and of course DH XP-Tray SysInfo tool!:lol:

13. nieves

nieves personality tweaker

Foobar2000. No kiddin', that's the name of a barebones media player... I can play mp3, wma, ogg, mpc and the several other audio formats. It used extremely few resources, simple interface (looks like a regular folder), database, album lists and many plugins available on the website... The sound is crystal clear, everything is done in directsound.... The player has some features I coudn't find anywhere else. Feel free to explore. I know I did and I have to say I was surprised...

http://foobar2000.hydrogenaudio.org/

14. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

Another good utility (is a web browser a utility?) Phoenix Browser you can get it (I suggest picking up the newest nightly build) here.

15. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

http://www.privoxy.org

Web filter. Blocks ads, popups and loads more stuff.

Pros
    easy installation
    powerful configuration tools
    keeps ad images the same size and replaces them with a checkerboard so the web page doesn't look bad (only ad killer I've seen do this)
    open source
    Win32, linux, *bsd amigaos and others supported :)
    Has the best "out-of-the-box" configuration - for the sites I visit anyway ;)
    web interface explaining why something was blocked so you can change the configuration specific to the site to get around it.

Cons
    Doesn't support HTTP 1.1 and compression - but it's being worked on for future versions
    This isn't noticeable if you're on broadband - but it's noticeable if your on dialup. It's OK for ISDN users imo
    Configuration is through text files which some peeps may find hard to use.
    Popup blocking can cause problems - Mozilla has better pop-up blocking so use that instead unless you use some crappy web browser like IE for example ;)

Remember boys and girls - keep watching the ad's on DH as we get paid per view. Click on em and we get more. Help keep DH running fast and free :)

16. Asuka

Asuka BANNED

Re: My two cents.

Originally posted by WyreTheWolf
    Star Downloader:

Star Downloader is a download accelerator that can increase download speeds by up to 400 percent. Unlike similar applications, it is completely free. It does not contain any banner ads or spy-ware.

The acceleration is achieved by splitting the file being downloaded into several parts and downloading these parts at the same time. Download speeds are further increased by downloading the file from the fastest mirror sites.

You really shouldn't use program which behave in such an absolutely anti-social way - they just put a great deal of excess strain on the download servers, generally making it much more difficult for others to download the same file because the server is clogged up by people using such programs which are hammering the server :dead:

While we're at it - this is the best opportunity to shamelessly plug my very own free download manager :D Other than such anti-social "accellerators", it behaves nicely and has many features that others lack. You can take a look at the homepage here:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/downloadwunder/

You'll find screenshots there and descritions in many different languages. Currently, the program can be completely run in English, German, Italian and Spanish. If you would like to translate it into a language besides that, just download the >language file< (12kb), translate it (replace German text with your language) and email it my way :)

Edit: here are two nice screenshots of my program :D More screenshots are on above homepage.
    Standard blue color scheme:
    [​IMG]
    skinned:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2003
  17. nieves

nieves personality tweaker

Nice pic :)

BTW, Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi won the Oscar. Just great!

Think I'm going to try your program, it won't bite, I hope :)

18. Asuka

Asuka BANNED

Originally posted by nieves
    Nice pic :)

There are more anime skins included with the program (e.g. Love Hina) :D You can see them on this page:
    http://mitglied.lycos.de/downloadwunder/skins/
    You can also make your own skins with the greatest ease :D

BTW, Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi won the Oscar. Just great!

Yes, that absolutely rocks! :cool: Finally the people got wise enough to vote it over that brainless Disney crap!

Think I'm going to try your program, it won't bite, I hope :)

No - not unless you ask nicely, at least :lol:

19. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

nope ... doc memory is the best RAM diagnostic in existence... It has never failed me to date countless hudreds of ram tested best of all it free... it os independant.. you can run burn in mode to get the ram hot ... it uses seveal diffrent methods to test ram .... and is wnderfull when RMAing ram back you can tell the manufacure exactly were it fails ... and wonderfull if you trying to find bad memory too exaple you have 3 sticks 256 of ram in ... you test all three there is a failue at 355 so the error in in the second stick... best tool I have had in my toolbox for fixing pc's with memory problems... it has the same kind of diagnostic abn expensive memory tester has les the speed and cost

www.simmtester.com

20. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

MyMontage

A great browser, which runs from IE code in windows so you dont have to worry about standards...., uses your IE favourites, cookies etc but has great power for running multple websites in windows with the ability to save positions on pages/sites on startup with the options to autorefresh sites on a timer. For example do you visit many tech sites or forums? and want your browser to start up on say 4 forums? even better if you have two monitors! I have 4 forums coming up. it can even save positions on websites so you can start in the middle of a page, avoiding all those hates ads or crap at the top etc.

You can also save different schemes, so you could have news sites, or game sites in one saved preference etc. even got a built in popup killer.

a great time saver !

www.mymontage.com