Useful utilities ...

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 8, 2002.

1. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Command Line Tools cont.....

macmatch: search for files by their last write, last access or creation time without changing any of these times (Arne Vidstrom. Freeware)
    MBRWizard: directly modify the MBR, with the capability to set partitions active for booting, delete or hide partitions, back up and restore copies of the MBR, as well as sort the partition entries (Roger Layton. Open Source)
    md5deep: compute MD5 message digests or SHA-1 message digests on an arbitrary number of files. Can recursively examine an entire directory tree (Jesse Kornblum. Open Source)
    memory: viewing the amount of physical memory in a machine (Savilltech. Freeware)
    Mirror: makes exact copies of directories (or entire directory structures) with minimal operations (Dominik Jain. Freeware)
    mkbt: create any boot- floppy/image from any win32 platform with any media size (Bart Lagerweij. Freeware)
    mtee: sends any data it receives to the console and to any number of files. Useful if you want to watch and record the output from a batch file or program. (Ritchie Lawrence. Freeware)
    mturoute: uses ICMP pings of various sizes in order to determine the MTU values on the path between itself and the target system. It also includes a traceroute like mode where it will attempt to determine the MTU of every hop in the communication. (Eli Fulkerson. Open Source)
    mycrypt (from 3proxy): obtain crypted password from cleartext. Supports both MD5/crypt and NT passwords (3APA3A. Open Source)
    nbtscan: scanning IP networks for NetBIOS name information (Alla Bezroutchko)
    ncpquery: probing of a Novell Netware server running IP to be queried to enumerate objects (Simple Nomad / Ollie Whitehouse)
    nemesis: network packet crafting and injection utility (Jeff Nathan. Open Source)
    net-fizz: multithreaded netshare scanner (zorkeres. Freeware)
    netcat: network swiss army knife. Simple utility which reads and writes data across network connections, using TCP or UDP protocol (Hobbit / Chris Wysopal. Open Source)
    NetE: get info via null sessions (Sir Dystic. Open Source)
    netio: measures the net throughput of a network via NetBIOS, TCP and UDP protocols (Unix only supports TCP and UDP) using various different packet sizes (Kai Uwe Rommel. Non-commercial Freeware)
    NetPWAge: displays the password age for all accounts in the specified domain, both users and machines. Very useful for cleaning out old, unused accounts from the NT SAM database (OptimumX)
    Netwox: toolbox of over 180 programs to find and solve network problems (Laurent Constantin. Open Source)
    ngrep: network grep: specify extended regular or hexadecimal expressions to match against data payloads of packets (needs WinPcap) (Jordan Ritter. Open Source)
    NirCmd: write and delete values and keys in the Registry, write values into INI file, dial to your internet account or connect to a VPN network, restart windows or shut down the computer, create shortcut to a file, change the created/modified date of a file, change your display settings, and more (Nir Sofer. Non-commercial Freeware)
    Nmap: network scanner for network exploration and security audits (Fyodor. Open Source)
    NTFSinfo: shows you information about NTFS volumes. Its dump includes the size of a drive's allocation units, where key NTFS files are located, and the sizes of the NTFS metadata files on the volume (Sysinternals. Freeware)
    NTLast: security log analyzer. Identify and track who has gained access to your system, then document the details (Foundstone. Freeware)
    Ntrights: view and set user privileges from a command prompt (Microsoft. Windows Resource Kit)
    openssl: SSL library (Open Source)
    orabf: brute force/dictionary tool for oracle hashes (Freeware)
    Outwit (collection): access the windows clipboard, manipulate the windows registry, read document properties, select data from relational databases, resolve shell shortcuts, access the windows event log (Diomidis Spinellis. Open Source)
    p0f: versatile passive OS fingerprinting tool (Michal Zalewski. Open Source)
    pdftohtml: converts PDF files into HTML and XML formats (Open Source)
    pdftotext (Xpdf): convert Adobe PDF documents to simple text format
    Permcopy: copies share-level permissions (Full Control, Read, Change) from one share to another (Microsoft. Windows Resource Kit)
    permute: word list permutation program (orm / Toolcrypt. Freeware)
    plink (PuTTy): command-line interface to the PuTTY back ends (Simon Tatham. Open Source)
    pmdump: dump the memory contents of a process to a file without stopping the process (Arne Vidstrom. Freeware)
    poke: run-time process examination tool (andreas / Toolcrypt. Freeware)
    Poorsniff: simple command-line sniffer using raw-sockets, no pcap, winpcap, packet driver required (nad. Open Source)
    PortQry: reports the port status of target TCP and User Datagram Protocol (UDP) ports on a local computer or on a remote computer (Microsoft. Windows 2003 Server Support Tools)
    procinfo: displays detailed information for a process (yrg / Toolcrypt. Freeware)
    promiscdetect: checks if your network adapter(s) is running in promiscuous mode, which may be a sign that you have a sniffer running on your computer (Arne Vidstrom. Freeware)
    pscp (PuTTy): SCP client, i.e. command-line secure file copy (Simon Tatham. Open Source)
    psftp (PuTTy): SFTP client, i.e. general file transfer sessions much like FTP (Simon Tatham. Open Source)
    PsTools (collection): command-line utilities for listing the processes running on local or remote computers, running processes remotely, rebooting computers, dumping event logs, and more (Sysinternals. Freeware)
    ptime: will run any specified command and parameters, and measure the execution time (run time) in seconds, accurate to 5 millisecond or better (Jem E. Berkes. Freeware)
    pwdump2: dumps the password hashes (OWFs) from NT's SAM database, whether or not SYSKEY is enabled on the system (Todd Sabin. Open Source)
    pwdump3: update of pwdump2, works across the network and whether or not syskey is enabled (Phil Staubs, Erik Hjelmstad. Open Source)
    pwdump4: update of pwdump3 with small enhancements (bingle. Open Source)
    pwdump6: enhanced pwdump3e without LSASS crashes: extract NTLM and LanMan hashes from a Windows target, regardless of whether Syskey is enabled. (fizzgig / foofus.net. Open Source)
    QEMU: emulates a full system (for example a PC), including a processor and various peripherials. It can be used to launch different Operating Systems without rebooting the PC or to debug system code (Frabrice Bellard. Open Source)
    rconip: win32 replacement for Novell's RconJ designed to look like rconsole (Paul Pergamenshchik. Open Source)
    Rehash: console-based hash calculation tool supporting many algorithms (Dominik Reichl. Open Source)
    rmchar: removes all the occurences of a specific byte in a file (Luigi Auriemma. Open Source)
    robocopy: powerful file copying tool (Microsoft. Windows Resource Kit)
    rsh: Remote Shell client (Ilya Evseev. Open Source)
    sbd: Netcat-clone, designed to be portable and offer strong encryption (Michel Blomgren. Open Source)
    ScanLine: port scanner for all Windows platforms. It can perform traditional ICMP pinging, optional additional ICMP TimeStamp scanning, can show host response times and number of hops, do TCP scanning, simple UDP scanning, banner grabbing and hostname resolving (Foundstone. Freeware)
    sdelete: securely delete existing files, as well as to securely erase any file data that exists in the unallocated portions of a disk (including files that you have already deleted or encrypted (Sysinternals. Freeware)
    SetACL: powerful set of routines for managing Windows permissions (ACLs) from the command line, from scripts and from programs (Helge Klein. Open Source)
    setowner: change the ownership of a file to any account. This works if you have the 'Restore files and directories' user right (Arne Vidstrom. Freeware)
    sid2user: query SAM and to find out a SID value for a given account name and vice versa (user2sid) (Evgenii B. Rudnyi. Freeware)
    sleepy: waits a custom amount of time (seconds, minutes, hours, days) and then exits or executes a program specified by the user (Luigi Auriemma. Open Source)
    sqlcmd: commandline-based SQL query tool: allows you to specify a database, username and password (if necessary) and a SQL query you wish to perform. The results are either output to the screen, or alternatively output into a log file that you specify (AnalogX. Freeware)
    SrvInfo: displays information about a server or workstation, including available disk space, partition types, and the status of services (Microsoft. Windows Resource Kit)
    stcppipe: a simple datapipe supporting multiple clients at the same time (it uses a thread for each client), binding of a specific local IP and also support for a list of allowed hosts (Luigi Auriemma. Open Source)
    strace: debugging/investigation utility for examining the Windows NT system calls made by a process. Its usage is similar to strace (or truss) that is currently available for Linux and other UNIX flavors (Todd Sabin. Open Source)
    Streamfind: will report the existence of Streams on an NTFS partition (ISS. Freeware)
    strings: search files for ASCII or UNICODE strings (Sysinternals. Freeware)
    subinacl: obtain security information about files, registry keys, and services, and transfer this information from user to user, from local or global group to group, and from domain to domain (Microsoft. Windows Resource Kit)
    sudppipe: advanced UDP proxy/datapipe/packets forwarder and modifier with multiple functions. (Luigi Auriemma. Open Source)
    tcping: operates similarly to 'ping', however it works over a tcp port (Eli Fulkerson. Open Source)
    TestDisk: check and undelete partitions (Christophe Grenier. Open Source)
    Tethereal: dump and analyze network traffic (Gerald Combs / Various. Open Source)
    THC SSL Proxy: SSL proxy useful for pentesting SSL services like HTTPS, SMTPS, LDAPS, POP3S etc (Johnny Cyberpunk. Freeware)
    THC-amap: nework scanner which attempts to identify applications even if they are running on a different port than normal (THC. Open Source)
    THC-cupass: uses a flaw in the implementation of Microsofts NetUserChangePassword API to guess/change the users password (Doc Holiday / THC. Open Source)
    THC-hydra: fast and flexible network login hacker (Samba, FTP, POP3, IMAP, Telnet, HTTP Auth, LDAP, NNTP, MySQL, VNC, ICQ, Socks5, PCNFS, Cisco and more) (van Hauser. Open Source)
    unrar: decompresses RAR archives (Eugene Roshal. Freeware)
    Unxutils (collection): collection of several GNU utilities (GNU / Karl M. Syring. Open Source)
    unzip: extraction utility for archives compressed in .zip format (Info-Zip Group. Open Source)
    uptime: analyzes a single server for reliability and availability information. It can work locally or remotely (Microsoft)
    upx: Ultimate Packer for eXecutables (Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer, László Molnár. Open Source)
    userdump: SID Walker that can dump every user in a domain in a single command line. It gives you all the information that UserInfo does, but it lets you specify the number of users you want to walk (Thor. Freeware)
    vncpwdump: dump and decrypt the registry key containing the encrypted VNC password in a few different ways (cqure.net. Open Source)
    wakeup: wake up PCs via Wake-on-LAN (Freeware)
    wget: software package for retrieving files using HTTP, HTTPS and FTP (special version with OpenSSL library included) (wget team / Bart Puype. Open Source)
    WhosIP: find all available information about an IP address: The owner of the IP address, the country/state name, IP addresses range, contact information (address, phone, fax, and email), and more (Nir Sofer. Freeware)
    winarp_mim: tool for an ARP man in the middle attack. You can use this for sniffing in a switched network (Fréderic Raynal, Éric Dtoisien, Cédric Blancher. Open Source)
    winarp_sk: swiss knife tool for ARP (Fréderic Raynal, Éric Dtoisien, Cédric Blancher. Open Source)
    WinDump: the porting to the Windows platform of tcpdump, the most used network sniffer/analyzer for UNIX (needs WinPcap) (Politecnico di Torino. Open Source)
    Winexit (collection): exit Windows from the command line (Dominik Reichl. Freeware)
    xecho: echo command with special features (Armin Harnisch. Freeware)
    xor: (Luigi Auriemma. Open Source)
    Zip: compression and file packaging/archive utility (Info-Zip Group. Open Source)

Useful Links
    More interesting tools
    Here I found lots of the tools in my list. Maye you'll find some other interesting stuff there.

SysInternals
    Nirsoft Utilities
    IndianZ Windows Security Tools
    Luigi Auriemma: Mytoolz
    Foundstone Free Tools
    Arne Vidstrom's NT Security Toolbox
    Joeware
    Russian Password Crackers
    Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
    Toolcrypt.org
    Portable Software
    Mostly for USB sticks, so some of these tools may not work from CD-ROM.

TinyApps.org
    The Portable Freeware Collection
    Wikipedia: List of portable applications
    Stand Alone
    Portableapps.com
    kikizas.net USB applications
    Tool collections for instant download
    Try one of these if you don't want to download every program in my list separately.

TheInfoBox.com Portable USB Apps
    Portable Office Exec
    Zepfanman.com Free Windows Software To Go
    UBCD for Windows
    reatogo´s BartPE 500+
    General Freeware sites
    Pricelessware.org
    OSSwin Project
    NoNags
    Planet Jeffrey

THE END

2. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

Since Nero became such a bloated monster I have been searching for some simple (meaning "non-bloated") and free burning program.
    A few days ago I found InfraRecorder. It can do everything I need, it is free and it takes only 7 MB.

Give it a try:
    http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/

3. BWX

BWX get out and ride

4. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

Unlocker is good but doesn't always work. I had some files in a folder that became corrupted when restoring from an external backup HDD. I couldn't delete the folder or files at all. I am the admininstrator for my PC but I was unable to access the folder!!! The only way was to go boot into Linux, change the permissions and then delete.

On the whole though - Unlocker is an extremely useful little tool :)

5. Richie-b

Richie-b In the corner

Winrar/winzip alternative

Extractnow

Found this a couple of weeks ago and thought it was great, works on all the common archive formats .RAR, .ZIP, .7Z etc.

www.extractnow.com

6. BWX

BWX get out and ride

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I don't have a link, just search for it, don't think he has a website, but the program "dr delete by jdong" is a very good program to delete files that you can't delete them in other ways. Use it for a long time now and at worse it will require a reboot, but always deletes the file. Always.

8. Vorless DarkChaos

Vorless DarkChaos New Member

MyMontage Is A Very Useful Broswer..I Even Brought It..But Company who Made it...It is Gone Click On Link And You Will See

9. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

yeah im sure they have gone, however I did post that several years ago mate.

10. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

11. Mug3n

Mug3n New Member

I highly recommend Crossloop.

It is way better than RealVNC, UltraVNC, LogMe-In, Hamachi and the likes. I've been using it for months now and have help a handful of folks on their computer problems from across states and half across the globe in real time.

It is freeware and it has file transfer capabilities. Check site for more details. It is a certified PWNaGE software.

WOOT! 1st post

12. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Nice. I was looking for something to replace VNC on my clients machines. I'll have to give this a try.

13. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

iPod Music Liberator 4.9 for Windows

Posted this in the Apple Macintosh forum, thought I'd put it here as well so that its easy to find when you need it.

Download iPod Music Liberator 4.9 Free Trial - Copy music from your iPod to any computer - Softpedia

I'd like to point out this is shareware, it only copies 5 tracks off at a time you have to buy the full version for more usability and it is an alternative to Mac programs like Senuti for Windows. If you want it for mac:

Download iPod Music Liberator 4.9.5 for Mac Free Trial - iPod Music Liberator - Copy music from your iPod to any computer - Softpedia

14. ChoGGi

ChoGGi Well-Known Member

cant you just copy them directly off the ipod then use foobar2000 or whatever you want to rename them?

15. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

You could but I'm too lazy to bother. :)

I have a very very meticulously arranged very big library, with equalizer presets and that kinda stuff which took me a very long time to set up so basically for me a program that gets them out of my iPod as is is a must.

Edit: It doesen't copy the presets, volume leveling and things like that, only the file names, putting the files in a folder which if you still have the files in your iTunes library can be used to save such information by replacing the files in the folder they were in before (artist>album).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  16. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i don't know how many of you already know this or will be interested in this.

anyways, i just found out today that the Seagate's Disc Wizard software has now been powered by the Acronis True Image version 10.0 Build 5028. you can download this free software (DiscWizardSetup.en.exe 102 MB.) at the Seagate websites.

this version of True Image supports Windows Vista x86 (not sure about x64 based one), as well as XP x64.
    as far as i know (so far), in order to meet the Seagate's requirement, and to use the software in Windows, the system must has at the least one installed Seagate or Maxtor hard disk drive.

[​IMG]

and the software does not (designed to) detect Seagate's drives that are in RAID-0 set ups, so you will need to install on the system, another Seagate or Maxtor in a non-RAID drive configuration, so that the software can detect and allows its program to start.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  17. RoyBatty

The Seagate Disc Wizard has the same functions a the True Image only limited to Seagat/Maxtor drives? That's great. I was wondering why the application is so big. Thanks PangingJr.

18. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

my friend sent me the software i just installed (and removed it after, since i have the full retail version of the True Image) it to see what it's all about the software,
    and i surprised to find it's actually, and a quite up-to-date version, of the True Image software.

however, i have not tested using it yet, and this due to all of the system's hard drives are in RAID, the software could not detect that the system was actually, had Seagate's drives.
    however, it allowed me to build a CD version of the software, and the CD version has both True Image (full version) and True Image (safe mode), which is very good,
    the True Image (safe mode), when booting into it, it can detect my Intel RAID configured drives, and that i can use it to perform backup or restore the system.

19. RoyBatty

Calliers likes this.
  20. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Floola

Great ipod/motorola phone management utility/itune replacement. Runs on the ipod, copies music to anywhere, rips and converts video (using FFmpeg), and does tons more. Worth checking out to anyone with an ipod.

Calliers likes this.