Using X-Fi equalizer on Audigy 2 ZS???

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by ajm786, Jul 19, 2006.

1. ajm786

ajm786 New Member

The X-Fi equalizer can adjust 12 levels, while the Audigy 2 ZS can only do 7. Is this in software or hardware? Is there a way for me to softmod the X-Fi equalizer to work on my Audigy 2 ZS?

Thanks.

2. jiiteepee

jiiteepee Active Member

Amount of adjustable frequencies is not HW dependent but software.

Is it for music or gaming purposes you need more bands to get adjusted?

If it's music, there are VST plugins w/ 7 to 'unlimited' amount of bands to adjust --> maybe ~30 bands is enough or some drawbar like posihfopit --> least winamp, foobar, mymp3pro and jrmediacenter (maybe wmp too already) are capable for vst either natively or through plugin.

Some good EQ's (freeware):

audio da onca - posihfopit :

[​IMG]

Smart Electronix - NyquistEq :

[​IMG]

Elevayta FreEq Boy (~$13) :

[​IMG]

Karma FX - KarmaFX Equalizer :

[​IMG]

slim slow slider - Linear Phase Graphic EQ :

[​IMG]

WWAYM - NWEQ :

[​IMG]

This one is quite good/nice too (VST/Standalone/for Winamp (/Foobar)) Aixcoustic Creations - Electri-Q (79.90€) :

[​IMG]

Some more listed @ KVR.

VST/DX plug-ins with Winamp or/and Foobar --> needed components :
    - for VST plug-ins : a VST Host DSP for Winamp plug-in for Winamp (this plug-in is needed for Foobar too)
    - for DX plug-ins : a DirectX Host DSP for WinAmp; Adapt-X (sw) or FFX-4 for WinAmp (fw) !You can 'chain' multiple FFX-4 Racks by loading FFX-4 DX-VST in one of the slots.
    and to get Winamp plugins into use on Foobar the bridge plugin for winamp DSP for Foobar needs to be installed on your system.
    To get multiple plugins into simultaenous use, a VST Rack, Plug-in Chainer or 'VST Host' -plugin is needed :
    XLUTOP Chainer (commercial, demo), CTAF MultiFXVST (freeware), energyXTE (commercial, demo) ! note the E version (effect).

jutapa

3. ajm786

ajm786 New Member

Thanks for the help bud.

The only problem is that all those you linked to me are controlled via "software". I understand what you are saying about the EQ being controlled by software and not hardware, but the Creative EQ controls the bands at a low level (i.e. almost at the driver leve); therefore, if I adjust the EQ, the sound adjustment will be universal, instead of only limited to an application and its specific plug-in.

To that effect, is there any EQ out there that will adjust the sound that can be applied universally (in every sound within Windows)?

Thanks again.

4. jiiteepee

jiiteepee Active Member

Sure there are those too (just use google)... , but are you willing to pay say US$200 - US$400 for them ?

jiitee

5. ajm786

ajm786 New Member

Perhaps. It depends on if it fits my needs.

Some linkies please? Sorry, my google skills are rusty due to my day job. :D

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

the EQ on CL sound cards is definately hardware based, on the A2 from within the 10kX DSP chip (first released mid 90's i think) - depending on how many resources are taken up be EAX/CMSS stuff 7 bands may be the maximum size the EQ could be

the x-fi has a drastically improved chip,, but far more resources - so that could explain the different