UXTHEME.DLL how-to`s (thank Crash Overide)

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by David, Jul 1, 2002.

1. David

David Banned

ok heres the deal with the uxtheme.dll file

save it to your C:\ directory on your HD

ok then reboot into safe mode with command prompt only

do that by pressing F8 over and over at bootup

ok now when you are in that use the dos prompt to get to C:\

once you are there type in copy uxtheme.dll C:\windows\system32\dllcache

it will ask you if you want to overwrite a file type in yes

then using the dos prompt type in this

cd windows

cd system32

now type in ren uxtheme.dll uxtheme.bak

now type in

cd dllcache

ok and lastly

copy uxtheme.dll C:\windows\system32

and when it asks bout the file replace again type in yes once more

then reboot the system and your themes will work

2. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

thanks David this should keep em satisfied ;)

3. SnoopyII

SnoopyII New Member

Is there a problem with the 1068 build accepting the StyleXP 3.0 version uxtheme.dll? (I am using build 1065 right now) I use an edited version of the sfc_os.dll that I have saved to my HDD and then replace the uxtheme.dll file with the one from the 3.o version of styleXP.

4. SnoopyII

SnoopyII New Member

My file version number says....

6.00.2600.0000 (it is the StyleXP version 3.x one)

So far it is working problem free...is there a reason I should replace it with the version you guys are offering here? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

5. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

Re:

basically our version is the newest version of the ms dll file just fixed to allow themes......that way you still get all the bug fixes in the file and the theme goodness too ;)

6. SnoopyII

SnoopyII New Member

Okay thanks crash...As I suspected...just needed to know before I did it. I assume you already have the info on how to edit the newer sfc_os.dll's included in the various SP1 versions to make it where you can replace almost any Windows system file without booting into safe mode...or "suicide overwriting" as I call it. It also allows you to delete pesky M$ folder like, xerox, MSN gaming, etc...

7. params

params New Member

How about a how to on what to change in the file to hack it (using reshacker or something) ;)

Just a thought.

P.

8. xcgf

xcgf New Member

thank you

9. SnoopyII

SnoopyII New Member

I will save time by referring you to this article.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/disablesystemfilechecker.shtml

The article is for Windows XP with NO SERVICE PACK!!! The address you want to change for XP with NO SERVICE PACK is "0000e2b0h" (9th & 10th positions)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the address for SP1 versions 1060, 1065, and 1068:

"0000e300h" (4th and 5th positions) You just change 4th position "8b" to "90" and 5th position "c6" to "90" in the hex editor of your choice.

As stated in the article you can now delete some lame M$ folders like MSN gaming, xerox, etc. and it allows you to instantly overwrite almost any file that is not in use. For files in use a Win98 bootdisk works.

Or if you want I can post the edited sfc_os.dll if I can figure out how to do it.

10. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

actually im a minimalist tweaker.........the least tweaking necessary to do what I need to do the better....

for windows Id rather replace just the one file to do what I need it to do than replace another key file that would allow people to hose my system ;)

I have other users on this things that like to go oh look mouse oooooh delete hmm wonder what that does ;)

thats why i like XP i can lock out things and if they delete a key system file now it will just be replaced properly or told they cant do it........if i do that they can ;)

11. SnoopyII

SnoopyII New Member

Yep I understand that crash...I would like to add I basically use my comps standalone and am very security conscious. I network them to share just the internet connction no file sharing or printer sharing so no one else really uses my systems and I religiously image my drive to a backup drive. It is just more convenient for me to replace a file on the fly. The hack helps me do that.:)

12. Vampirefo

Vampirefo New Member

MS has recoded the uxtheme.dll, So no one has been able to crack it yet, I am still looking at the code in my hex editor. Now if you want to use the cheap trick that Crash Override, uses all you do is just crack the original dll, and use Resource Hacker and make the following changes, I downloaded Crash Override's, uxtheme.dll ran in under my hex editor and confirmed it was the original dll, from XP the 2600 dll.

This is easy to confirm one by the size the second by telling the hex editor to compare the dll, it's a complete match for the original 2600 dll. Hopefully I will be able to crack this dll myself, but here are the cheap instructions to do it Crash Override way.

Problem is you will be using an old out of date dll, simple check the size, and you will see you are using an old dll. When the dll is cracked the date, nor the size changes, But if you use resource Hacker to change an old dll to look like a new one both the size and the date changes.

The only thing you need to change from the instrutions below is the version number use 6.0.2800.1068 and change this (xpsp1.020520-1900) to this
    (xpsp1.020628-1905)
    From your old pal, Phinal Phantasm:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Get your old version of the hacked uxtheme.dll
    2. go to %systemroot%/ServicePackFiles/I386 and remove uxtheme.dll
    3. go to %systemroot%/system32/dllcache and remove uxtheme.dll

~~~(If you use my file skip step 4 and go straight to step 7)~~~

4. open your trusty ResHacker and throw in the hacked uxtheme.dll, and go down to Version Info and delete what it has, then replace it with the following:

----------------------------------

1 VERSIONINFO
    FILEVERSION 6,0,2800,1045
    PRODUCTVERSION 6,0,2800,1045
    FILEOS 0x40004
    FILETYPE 0x2
    {
    BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
    {
    BLOCK "040904B0"
    {
    VALUE "CompanyName", "Microsoft Corporation"
    VALUE "FileDescription", "Microsoft UxTheme Library"
    VALUE "FileVersion", "6.00.2800.1045 (xpsp1.020520-1900)"
    VALUE "InternalName", "UxTheme.dll"
    VALUE "LegalCopyright", "© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved."
    VALUE "OriginalFilename", "UxTheme.dll"
    VALUE "ProductName", "Microsoft® Windows® Operating System"
    VALUE "ProductVersion", "6.00.2800.1045"
    VALUE "OleSelfRegister", ""
    }
    }

BLOCK "VarFileInfo"
    {
    VALUE "Translation", 0x0409 0x04B0
    }
    }

---------------------------------------

5. Compile the script.
    6. Save as uxtheme.dll
    7. go to %systemroot%/system32 and rename the uxtheme.dll, uxtheme.bak... copy in the new uxtheme.dll and tell it you want to keep the unrecognized version.
    8. Reboot
    9. Have fun!!

You can get the dll here http://idisk.mac.com/vitocorleone/Public/uxthemesp1.zip

13. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

aight Vampirefo Admins being contacted you are banned bye bye

14. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

Re:

I never said mine wasnt the original dll file.........I said that I took it and updated the version values so it would be accepted properly under the new SP1 builds

how I did it is pretty similar to Phinal Phantasms you are correct.....he made the original SP1 how to and since then I have been hacking it for each build

if you are so politically correct about how its done I will take the time and hex edit damn you are pesky

15. Vampirefo

Vampirefo New Member

You want me banned for telling the truth, and letting people know how you claim to have cracked the dll, which you haven't. And trying to warn people not to use your so called crack cause it is the wrong size?

MS has added bytes to each uxtheme.dll, meaning they have added functions that are necessary, to explorer and you are cheating people out of these, plus at some point you are going to harm someone's pc.

By using an old out of date dll,explorer can't access the needed function, MS added in 1068, and 1070, heck all the beta's. You are doing more harm than good, and you should at least be a Man and admit, you are using an old out of date dll that could cause damage to explorer, on any of the beta's.

This is a good forum don't ruin it by lying, admit you are wrong, and perhaps we can come up with a true cracked dll, I am trying, But MS has done a good job on this dll, I also have the creator of stylexp looking into it as well. I am not the bad guy you try to make me out to be, I don't like to see people pushing stuff off on others, like you have, and lying implying this is the correct version for the beta's when we both know it's not.

Simply post a warning that you are passing out old modified dlls, that are not the correct size for the beta's meaning something is missing from the dll you are passing out, and could harm their pc.

16. SnoopyII

SnoopyII New Member

edited for content -david

17. Vampirefo

Vampirefo New Member

Re:

LOL, just put two and two together the reason you can and have used both is because they are the same dll,If anyone wants to use the cracked 2600 dll, without changing it via Resource Hacker, it will work the same as using Resource Hacker. XP doesn't care about the version, hell XP doesn't even read the version number, it reads the code inside the dll.

The version number is just so one can see it when they click on the dll, XP doesn't need it, what XP needs is inside the code, Well the old dll simply doesn't have all the information, the new dll has.

But feel free to use anything you like, it's your pc, destroy it if you like, just don't push it off on someone else. But I do find you a funny guy, that can't or don't understand much, One I wasn't banned, Two I was right. And I am trying to help people the honest way, not just telling them bs, do you need proof?

If so simply download a hex editor and compare your dll to Crash Overide dll, you will find they are the same dll, a hex editor doesn't know how to lie, it just compares one file to the other.

Now compare Crash Overide 1068 dll to the correct 1068 dll, and you will find they are completely different, in size and date. Your cursing does show your immaturity, but have a nice day;)

18. CReaTuReZ

CReaTuReZ New Member

Re:

kinda agree with Vampirefo -> that's the old 198kb(the one that is downloadable in sticky post) file from wxp. the sp version is diffrent 199kb.

but stop the "fight" and try this, and post if it's working

Modify for uxtheme.dll xpsp1 build 1068
    @ 0000D803: 81 -> 33
    @ 0000D804: EC -> F6
    @ 0000D805: 80 -> 8B
    @ 0000D806: 00 -> C6
    @ 0000D807: 00 -> C9
    @ 0000D808: 00 -> C2
    @ 0000D809: 56 -> 08
    @ 0000D80A: 57 -> 00

is there any other 3l33t "flat" style themes besides chosenOS ???

19. Vampirefo

Vampirefo New Member

Re:

Thanks that is the correct code, I knew the code but not where the offset started.

You can get the uxtheme.dll from here, Thanks to CReaTuReZ. Or you can just use a hex editor just like I did, and change the code yourself.
    http://vampirefo.can.com/uxtheme.dll

20. SnoopyII

SnoopyII New Member

No racial, sexual, homophobic, or any other slur targeting a minority will be tolerated. This behavior is grounds for banning.

Last warning sir -David