Valve’s gaming handheld is called the Steam Deck and it’s shipping in December

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Calliers, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Valve just announced the Steam Deck, its long-rumored Switch-like handheld gaming device. It will begin shipping in December and reservations open July 16th at 1PM ET. It starts at $399, and you can buy it in $529 and $649 models as well.

The device has an AMD APU containing a quad-core Zen 2 CPU with eight threads and eight compute units’ worth of AMD RDNA 2 graphics, alongside 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM. There are three different storage tiers: 64GB eMMC storage for $399, 256GB NVMe SSD storage for $529, and 512GB of high-speed NVME SSD storage for $649, according to Valve. You can also expand the available storage using the high-speed microSD card slot.

The Steam Deck has a huge number of control options. There are two thumbsticks, but also two small, Steam Controller-style trackpads beneath the thumbsticks, which could give you more precision for things like first-person shooters. The front of the Steam Deck also has ABXY buttons, a D-pad, and a 7-inch 1280 x 800 touchscreen for 720p gameplay. The device also has a gyroscope for motion controls. Like the Switch, it has two shoulder triggers on each side, and there are four back buttons (two on each side) as well as built-in microphones.

[​IMG]

2. Calliers

It's settled, I'm pre-ordering the 256GB one. :D

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

So stupid.

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Pre-Order page, btw.

Valves history with releasing hardware should be warning enough: buy this thing with caution. Limited use due to the SteamOS, competing product in SteamLink (which is available, for free, pretty much on a plethora of devices), updates will come very slowly (if at all), and if there's any hint that the device isn't going to meet projected sales they'll stop making it (and supporting it) at the drop of a pin.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    Calliers and Mr Cairo like this.
  5. Calliers

Then I'll just wait and see.

6. Tipstaff

I mean.. you saw the cost, right? $659 CAN for the 256 NVMe version, and $819 for the 512. Ehhhh... yeah. Good choice on waiting. ;)

7. Calliers

LOL! What can I say, I've never been an early adopter, I'd like to do it now, just in case it turns out to be a real gold mine in the end and everyone jumps on the band wagon I can say I was there from day 1! :D

8. Tipstaff

The more I read about it the more promise it has. As in that they've mentioned being able to install other operating system, whatever that means. For me (just as with that author in the posting you linked to), being able to install all the indie games I've bought would be nice for the same reason he mentioned: I won't have to re-buy them on the Switch anymore. I've got a ton of games that would play nicely on this thing.

At the very least, maybe put the deposit down on it. $5.70 is nothing, and totally refundable.

Calliers likes this.
  9. Calliers

Yup, pre orders should be opening again soon. :)

10. Trusteft

Are the controls user replaceable ?

11. Calliers

You mean mapping? They are mappable.

12. Trusteft

No, I mean replaceable. They tend to break. Especially the sticks, but also the buttons. So, when that happens, are you screwed or they can easily be detached like say in the Switch? The only positive thing I can say about the Switch is the control scheme with the detachable and obviously replaceable controls.

13. Calliers

I know they don't come apart like the Switch, but they could be easily replaceable all the same. I haven't read enough to know.

14. Trusteft

So the answer is no.

15. Tipstaff

I guess it all depends on how the parts are attached to the motherboard. The joysticks, if they are soldiered, then no. The Steam Controller is one such device. If they are like those on most portable sets, like the Anbernic or PowKiddy portables, then yes as those are attached via a ribbon cable. BUT, the ones on the Steam Deck have haptic tops. Getting replacements will probably be a pain in the ass. Same with the haptic pads.

I still haven't seen a place to buy replacement parts for the Steam Controller, btw. However I have seen guys with 3D printers offer printed parts for things like the bumpers.

Calliers likes this.