Valve exposed by HL2 hackers?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by shuki, Oct 9, 2003.

1. shuki

shuki New Member

I'm not sure if it's really a great idea to post this, but "Anonymous Leaker" -- the guy who is apparently responsible for releasing the slightly playable pre-Alphaish version of HL2 which is unfortunately in circulation -- has released a statement of sorts. Here's a snip:

To all those saying HL2 was delayed because of the hacking action, ill just remind you that what was leaked is what Valve has, nothing more and nothing less, so its pretty good to understand it wasnt finished yet.
    Also I'd like to point out the E3 [demo] was one big fake by Valve. Ever tried to kill that soldier in physicstown ? Notice the door will still get kicked ? No scripted sequences ?

To everyone saying this is no Beta: I'd like to point out that THIS is what you wanted Valve to release on 9/30/03, theres no such thing as a much better release in Valves network!

To Valve: I suggest you stop lying to your customers about how much was stolen/compromised, or I'll have to release everything just to prove my point. And you know what you got, as I do.

Yikes. WARNING, BRIEF EDITORIALIZING AHEAD!
    I'm not going to sit here and say I completely agree with Valve's policies, because I've criticized them in the past regarding how they handled the original release date delay announcement, among other things. And judging by what this guy says about the status of the game and professional game developer's analysis of what has leaked so far, it does seem pretty clear that the game isn't really that close to being done and hasn't even reached solid Beta status.

If this assessment is true, that would contradict a whole bunch of things Valve has said in the past, and make their behavior regarding the whole 9/30 release date drama even more questionable. But even so, that doesn't give "Anonymous Leaker" the right to help distribute stolen property. Leaking pre-release content like this hurts the fans, it hurts Valve, and it only serves to cause further delays in Half-Life 2's development.

Again, we encourage you to steer clear of all this junky leaked content. Don't support the actions of retarded, lonely, socially inept children who want to be big shots on IRC.

taken in full from www.planethalflife.com

2. Vengeance

Vengeance New Member

No I wont, I wouldnt even if I liked to download games! (And those that know me know I dont!)
    This is sad......So what if valve docend have it that close to being done, as they thought they would?
    It happens, I would rather wait another year and get an outstanding game then get a so/so ok game now.
    This guy is a shit and I hope they do catch him and burn his ass for him! :mad:

3. absolution

absolution Banned

As if the person who wrote that brief editorial wasn't downloading the leak as he/she typed.

4. BWX

BWX get out and ride

If any of this is even remotely true, the April date sounds about right.

5. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

:tears: yea...

6. Markius

Markius New Member

i dont know what the problem with Valve delaying the game is anyway...who cares, its their game and they can release it any time they damnwell feel like!! If they didnt show it at E3 (in wich case no one would know jack about it) would anyone bitch about it being delayed??? i agree with Vengeance...id wait however long it takes so the game is a pearler like the first.

All i can say to the guy/gal who leaked the pre betaish whateverish version.....you must be pretty bored with life....:duh:

7. kalx

kalx New Member

It was more about the way they lied and basically played a big marketing campaign
    and its very obvious they woudl have known at e3 that it wasn`t going to be ready in time.
    rather than mislead the community , which in an ironic twist they asked for help from.
    value loose nothing from this leak , all they gain is publicity and fame.
    The ppl who would buy the game will buy the game , the ones who dl it , will still buy it for online play.
    the ppl who don`t buy games ,w oudln`t buy it anywya so no lose.

You can all sit here sucking up to valve , or you can go with the realisaztion , that this ain`t really a hole kettle of fish
    when jedi knight was released in beta / then pre gold did it harm its sales ??
    or did it make more ppl want to get the finished product in its nice shiny box,

Dozens of games/apps are leaked in beta / pre gold status they still sell just as well.
    when they are released to the market.

What really gets my goaty is just cos its valve and halflfe2 everyone cares.
    windows 95 was leaked 2 weeks before release in ruissia. did anyone care that much then ?

Did we have thousands of Pro Corp Moaners ? moaning cos a pre release was done. , no.

This news is nothign special.

Just another game being leaked.

Another Day.

<Flame me like a hamburger>

8. shuki

shuki New Member

I'm with kalx here. another thing I can't help but wonder is how many XT bundles would ATI have sold if the release date was still just a few weeks off and how many fewer they will sell now that an appearant "reality" is out there...

I for one bought the 9800 pro just a few weeks ago specifically for HL2 thinking it would be out "soon" .... what a bummer :(

9. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

Well thats what i just did!

Went out and ripped my FX5900 out of my rig and placed a nice 128MB Hercules 9800 PRo in there just for HLF2!! :mad:

10. DUD

DUD New Member

This could have been all prearranged to cover their butts for not having a finished product ready for the 9/30-release date. :evil: Just a thought.

11. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

I don't know I really find myself dismissing this "hackers" claim that there is nothing on valves network.

I would have to say...no kidding there is nothing on the network connected to the INTERNET. Any viable software development company does not keep their main development server connected to the internet. Intranet sure..but internet..that would be corporate suicide. All this chum got ahold of was the files etc. etc. sent via e-mail and unsecure connections over the standard employee network. I really doubt that he has his hands on the "entire source code" or that he has his hands on anything beyond the E3 demo for HL2.

VALVe may have had a moronic IT department as far as employee computer security is concerned...but that doesn't mean they didn't protect the main server that houses the guts of the game.

While the timeing of the delay, the release of some of the source code (pfft..) and the release of the E3 tech demo...oooo major hacking job there to get that tech demo....and now an outdated build of to make CS:CZ and maybe CS2 run on the HL2 engine...

Sorry but I don't see any serious hacking attempt here against the main guts of VALVe as far as HL2 is concerned. The hacker got his hands on what was, admittidly, not supposed to be transmitted via e-mail. Unfortunately it was...VALVe and MANY other developers will learn from this mistake. Do keep in mind though, that if the actual game was taken...VALVe would have been doing alot more PUBLICALLY than they are now about this situation.

One last thing to keep in mind here is that the supposed "hacker" released a "statement" a few days ago threatning to release everything he had...now if you ask me...the statement posted here (and everywhere else) saying that he has released everything they had...well isn't that just a bit contradictory?

This means one of a few things, either the "statement" creator is someone different...or that they are trying to get themselves as much limelight as possible.

To ammend this post I found this over at planethalflife and it was posted by Fragmaster to their main page:

"Well, it appears that this "Anonymous Leaker" character wasn't bluffing, because now he's apparently released something that lets you play Half-Life and Counter-Strike using Half-Life 2's source engine. And he's also supposedly released an outdated build of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero (it's going gold Friday, see yesterday's story) and/or possibly something that deals with Counter-Strike 2. We really don't care to know the details, and we can't exactly confirm this because we refuse to download these releases ourselves. And we of course strongly suggest you don't download any of this stolen material either.
    The latest release notes are pretty much devoid of any commentary from the leaker, but they do seem to call into question the existence of a complete HL2 beta. While the notes confirm a HL2 "pre-Beta" isn't currently in circulation, that doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't exist and won't be released later. It's hard to say.

But I think it is safe to say at this point that perhaps Valve's and Vivendi's previous statement that only "a third of the source code was stolen" was perhaps slightly innaccurate. "

Last edited: Oct 9, 2003
  12. tazdevl

tazdevl New Member

LOL Mazuko glad you edited. I was going to ask if you've checked the latest news.

Thing to remember, Valve is in a pretty bad position and doing things more publically will result in loss of face and greater embarassment. Not to mention, I'd bet they're still trying to figure out what the hell happened and how they can fix things. Once they have a reasonable analysis of the situation and action plan in place, they'll go public. I do think they should be a bit more proactive in their communication, but they have bigger things to worry about.

One other reason for not going public, at this point ATI and the folks who made the Havok physics engine are involved in all of this as well, so I'm sure the added lines of communication are slowing things down. I hope Valve had some solid general liability coverage because this could get real interesting.

13. jonis

jonis Alien mindbender

The so called anonymous release was stolen around e3... its not what valve were working on atm... I mean, c'mon!! Theyve been working on the game for 5 years in secret... do you think they would break the news about a release date only half a year in advance if they were THIS FAR from an actual beta? This must be the material they used to show it during e3... nothing else, dont mind it ppl

14. Raider1

Raider1 There is always next year

Thats waht i did also ripped my ti4200 out and bought me a 9800 pro but i needed a upgrade anyways :evil:

15. Ev!L-aLphA

Ev!L-aLphA | n f e c t e D

SAME HERE!

16. spark rain fire

spark rain fire i am rad.

hl2 has way to much hype. its NOT going to be the best game ever, seriously guys calm the fuck down. i mean, i've read about it ect, just as you kids do, but i'm not going crazy or anything.. just calm the hell down and wait for valve to do there thing. who gives a shit if there is a beta out on the internet. look at the past, many good games have been 'leaked' onto the internet.. shut the hell up

17. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

"spark rain fire", please show some courtesy to the other members of the forums if you aren't in the forum we set aside for flaming. This post and others are a bit over the top... please tone it down a bit.

18. spark rain fire

spark rain fire i am rad.

sorry about that..

19. ErrorS

ErrorS New Member

ive been wanting to talk about it on forums for a longass time, but all my favorite forums wont allow any discussion (Sooo annoying)

Anyways, I have to say that HL2 (beta) is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Graphics arent Doom3 level, but they're still better then ANYTHING on PC. The physics are so real they're scarey.

The game was last changed Sept. 28th. I assume most of the AI/Scripted Sequences aren't working because Valve is reworking it. Maybe it just want functional in the current build (They broke it to fix it). There are (AT MOST) 5 maps that could be considered near completion. The other 25 or so(?) are nothing but untextured boxes sitting on top of each other with markers, some maps mentioned arent included "Map not found". And because of the size of the game it's obvious alot of the maps arent included (if its as short as the beta, i'll be PISSED). If I had to guess I'd say the game was less then 10% complete. I guess the hard part might be behind them though, mainly art work and level design now (from what I saw, anything engine related was finished. Very few stability issues, physics were perfect, etc etc etc)

This has me more excited about Half-life2 then I was before I played it, much like the Doom3 Alpha got me more excited about Doom3. I can understand it not being ready for release, it is waaay ahead of its time (much like HL1 was).

I'd also like to add that it runs surprisingly well. I averaged 45fps with max detail in 1024x768 on a Radeon9700NP and a 2.4ghz AXP.

BTW, I support Valve 100%. Trust me when I say that me downloading and playing this beta will help valve more then me not doing it. I'm so excited about this game I will let everyone know just how AMAZING it is.