VB.Net app connection to Apache Derby DB?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by WxMan1, May 22, 2014.

1. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

Is it possible to connect to Apache Derby DB - Java - w/ in VB.Net application?

From what I understand there is mechanics to connect to various vendor specific-DB w/ in Java app. To implement such, ODBC, JDBC & JDBC/ODBC-bridge technology is implemented (the latter strongly frowned upon).

I'd appreciate being able to interface to Apache Derby DB w/in a compiled VB.Net - VS 2008 IDE - app; Derby is free and SQL Server is not. I'd rather code for SQL query rather than invent RDBMS from scratch (that's just me I'd bet).

:confused:

2. RealityRipple

RealityRipple Embrace Entropy

3. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

Ooooh. Me likey. Mayhaps offer an option, despite the description intimating merely reading Derby DB. I'll have to investigate this for SELECT functionality. If it'll do that, then INSERT shouldn't be a prollem, eh? Unless its doing a flat file read, then it must implement DSN or connection string in some ODBC / JDBC context.

However its .NET 4.5 dependent. I'm unclear if .NET post-v3.5 be implemented in VS2008 Pro IDE?

Worst case: I just may have to buck up and write the app in Java. Its not terribly complicated, just 6 input fields - 4 of which are IP address octet of data type 'byte', the 5th is a CIDR 0> value < 25, and a description field - the app merely has to check if any arbitrary IP address lives w/ in defined IP v4 CIDR range, and if not allow entry of such into DB.

Pice of caeke. It'll prove to be a useful tool to maintain FW rules implementing application shared IP address for CDN / edge cache access grouped by internet 'zone'.

4. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

After some investigation and evaluation of alternatives, I've decided to implement serialized Dataset and Dataset record object classes. I took one look at this:

http://bitmugger.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-to-convert-cidr-ip-address-to-range.html

and crawled screaming into the fetal position and ran home to Mommy, i.e.,

private bool IsInSubnet (string ipAddress, string cidr) {

string [] parts = cidr.Split ('/');

int baseAddress = BitConverter.ToInt32 (IPAddress.Parse (parts [0]).GetAddressBytes (), 0);

int address = BitConverter.ToInt32 (IPAddress.Parse (ipAddress).GetAddressBytes (), 0);

int mask = IPAddress.HostToNetworkOrder (-1 << (32 - int.Parse (parts [1])));

return ((baseAddress & mask) == (address & mask));

C'mon, its 4 bytes + netmask, i.e., CIDR, and a domain name description. That's just crazy talk in SQL.