Vb .net vs2008

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by WxMan1, Oct 13, 2012.

1. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

Vb .net vs2008 - trap input keys

:evil:

WHY when implementing the following code:

Code:
    Private Sub event_KeyDown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e_
        As System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventArgs) Handles txtBox.KeyDown

If e.KeyValue = keys.enter Or keys.right Then

If String.IsNullOrEmpty(ActiveControl.Text) Then
                   MessageBox.Show("Please Enter Data", "Error",_
                   MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
             Else

'Next Textbox recieves focus
             End If
         End If
    End Sub
    Does alpha or numeric textbox input cause the second IF, i.e., THEN IF to be evaluated? IF I remove either of the evaluants in the logical expression, this does NOT occur.

:x

According to the rules - as I understand them - e.KeyValue is an INTEGER. I've replaced the aforementiond keys. values in the above logical expression with discrete integers and it still doesn't work. :wtf:

What I mean by doesn't work: if I take out one or the other of the logical expressions in the comparison, i.e. either .Enter or .Right (or the integer equivalent) the statement executes as expected. I'm dumbfounded how ~ input can evalute true in the above code (when its intent is to trap <enter> or <right> keys.

This has got to be some sort of havengod (sp?) MS mystery pertaintent to KeyEventArgs and KeyPressEventArgs :duh:

This is a real simple app I'm trying to create:

• read into memory a dynamic structure array, i.e., IP domain owner (string), IPv4 octets (bytes), IPv4 CIDR mask (byte)
    • query the structure array by IPv4 IP address for fit w/in each discrete IPv4 / CIDR entry existing in DB.
    • prompt user with Domain Name - IP addr owner if the the user provided IPv4 address exists in DB
    • allow user to add IPv4/CIDR + 20char domain name IP owner label to binary DB (if not on file)
    • resize structure array and sort said array in IPv4 address ascending order for new additions
    • prohibit entry of alpha char into any IP octet or CIDR field (prompt user when input is invalid)
    • prohibit <enter>, <right> arrow keys on IP/CIDR fields when null
    • disable <search> DB button appearing unless all 4 IPv4 octes filled
    • prohibit entry of numbers <0 & > 255 into any one of all 5 numberic fields
    • prohibit number <0 or >24 in the CIDR field
    • prohibit add button from appearing unless all 4 IP octect, CIDR & description fields contain appropriate values.
    • remove both <search> and <add> buttons when information precludes them
    • present <save> button when the initial structure array has been altered
    • disappear the <save> button when not relevent.
    See? I told you it was simple.

:D

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Nested IFs... Horrible stuff.
    Off the top of my head, shouldn't it be something like this?
    Code:
    if e.keyvalue = keys.enter or e.keyvalue = keys.right then
    I'll have a look later, when I'm sitting at my PC. Using VB on the iPad is a tad harder.

3. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

Good answer Mr. "Guru"

It sounds like the Guru is suggesting that a boolean expression needs to be evaluated with ticks (as per C++); I''d actually run into a serious syntax error with your solution. That notwithstanding, I appreciate your reply.

The fact is: I've seen boolean expression evaluation issues akin to this in that past. But that atypically pertained to data-type; hence, my pointing out the data type of the vars being compared.

Emprically, the following code works:

Code:

Public Class Form1
         Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e_
            As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

End Sub

' Boolean flag used to determine when a character other than a
         ' number is entered. 
         Private nonNumberEntered As Boolean = False

' Handle the KeyDown event to determine the type of character
         ' entered into the control. 
         Private Sub textBox1_KeyDown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e_
           As System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventArgs) _
              Handles TextBox1.KeyDown

' Initialize the flag to false.
             nonNumberEntered = False

' Determine whether the keystroke is a non-keypad input number. 
             If e.KeyCode < Keys.D0 OrElse e.KeyCode > Keys.D9 Then

' Determine whether the keystroke is a number from the keypad. 
             If e.KeyCode < Keys.NumPad0 OrElse e.KeyCode > Keys.NumPad9 Then

' Determine whether the keystroke is a backspace. 
                   If e.KeyCode <> Keys.Back Then

' A non-numerical keystroke was pressed. 
                         ' Set the flag to true and evaluate in KeyPress event.
                          nonNumberEntered = True

End If
              End If

'If shift key was pressed, it's not a number. 
              If Control.ModifierKeys = Keys.Shift Then
                   nonNumberEntered = True
              End If

End Sub 'textBox1_KeyDown

' This event occurs after the KeyDown event
         'implement to prevent characters from entering the control. 
         Private Sub textBox1_KeyPress(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e_
            As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles TextBox1.KeyPress

' Check for the flag being set in the KeyDown event. 
              If nonNumberEntered = True Then
                   ' handle non-numerical exception.
                   e.Handled = True
              End If
         End Sub 'textBox1_KeyPress

End Class
    The above code traps specfic key inputs within different form objects having input focus on my system having to do noting but copy and paste the above code into an exclusive solution w/in VS 2008 (Win2003 R2).

My best assessment as junior apprentice OOP IT Wizard - given the heriarchy of event handling w/in .NET - there MUST be a clash between event handlers w/in my code that I implremented (or perhaps overriden from the base class).

It would appear that an 'eval' is going on at run-time between two objects as opposed to the comparision of ojbects of similar data-type.

It is the latter that I had anticpated.

That being said - nonetheless - I have concerns that this is some sort of MS security flaw.

I'm going to attend to downloading the big MS patch that I've put off for ages (for VS2008). I'm going to dl 380MB for the patch/upgrade and when I can verify its integriy using the archive integrity checking tools inherent to WinRar & 7-Zip, and make the appropriate image and system back-ups: we'll check back here.

4. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

I must've been drunk when I made my OP, when I replied, or now. :duh:

Takaharu's - kudo's to very guru lookin avatar BTW - IR was spot on. Too bad I was too drunk to realize it at the time. :hmm:

Thing is, weren't I not too drunk then, I'd not come to realize what I know now. :hmm:

Yesh, the whole issue of trapping input keys and mucking around with tabindex sequence set me onto a trail that led me to the peak of Z-list Mountain! :hmm:

Indeed, the following code-snipit will work:

Code:
     Private Sub txtBox_KeyPress(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e_
       As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles_
       txtBox1.KeyPress, txtBox2.KeyPress, txtBox3.KeyPress, et ali...
        If e.KeyChar = Microsoft.VisualBasic.ChrW(13) Then
            e.Handled = True
            Me.ProcessTabKey(True)
        End If
    End Sub
    Depending on what one's intentions are; it is the first rule stipulated by Sun Tzu.

The following code may be tastier, though:

Code:
    Private Sub txtBox_KeyDown(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e_
       As System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventArgs) Handles_
       txtBox1.KeyDown, txtBox2.KeyDown, txtBox3.KeyDown, et ali...
            If e.KeyCode = Keys.Enter Or e.KeyCode = Keys.Down_
               Or e.KeyCode = Keys.Up Then
                Select Case e.KeyCode
                    Case Keys.Enter, Keys.Down
                        e.Handled = True
                        Me.ProcessTabKey(True)
                    Case Keys.Up
                        Dim i As Integer = 0
                        Do Until Me.ActiveControl.Name = Me.Controls(i).Name
                            i += 1
                        Loop
                        i -= 1
                        If i < 0 Then i = 2
                        Me.Controls(i).Focus()
                End Select
            End If
        End Sub
    which brings me to my point - which is essential for any speaker to have (as it makes things interesting for the audience - i.e., the z-list.

You can muck around with the tab-index values for windows.form.controls.item(x) all you want, but if so, Vegas odds are in favor of you ending up driving that hot rod-Lincoln.

:hmm:

Tab-index controls navigation through form.controls(x) objects through iterative press of TAB key. What when one desires to navigate backwards through the array of form.controls(x)? The crux of the prollem is that ALL form.objects whether 'focusable' - just invented a new word - or not, i.e., lables and buttons, what not, and et ali that may muck things up.

:sleep:

If a coder wants to implement backwards keypress events-handling functionality, then the order of creation of objects onto a form is imperative; implementation of the code 'Case Keys.Up' in the above snipit will NEVER ever work as hoped for by the coder (or hapless users)

:eek:

If you have 5,973,462 'objects' on a form and a handfull of textbox inputs (or whatnot), and you want to step backwards through that form using keyboard navigation? Good luck! :rofl: And good riddence say the structured object oriented programming :evil: Nazis.

You could spend the next five lifetime heartbeats recreating the form with all of its 5,973,462 objects so that focus() can be applied to the proper form.object(x) at the appropriate time; only to discover that a single extra object needs to be shoehorned onto the form. :annoyed:

Doing so will break the backwards navigation-connectivity. :uhoh:

Never fear, Document Outline is here to the rescue. :w00t:

Yep, in design view one can arrange all the objects for which input keys should be captured in such order whereby setting focus is possible. You can establish the Z-list by creating a form with all its inherent objects from scratch, or manipulate the order of items on a form.

:hmm:

One of the caveats: after cutting any one of the formName inputObject and pasting back, said object has lost any / all associated event handler-handles in the form code-page.

:x

Here's a Coder's Bible rule to implement: synch autotab index with the z-list. If you're implementing backwards navigation through form.inputobject(x), then one needs to come to terms with which is the most likely: adding extra lables and stuff or whatnot?

5. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

The avatar is of Dr. Gerald Robotnik, a character from Sonic Adventure 2.
    "... The greatest scientific mind... and my grandfather". Intelligent scientist who went mad when his granddaughter was killed as a result of his work and tried to blow up the planet. So, take that as you like.

My post was off the top of my head at the time.
    I'm curious though, why, in the second snippet of the above post, do you use a case statement that already incorporates the role of the if statement?

6. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

Said in extremely thick accent nobody recognizes:

"Very cool veedbak consernink avatar. You tagline says fart. That very vunny. Vunny vunny is that. Is one' of the fart types: computnik?

I do not want to be offensive but only serious on this board, so I die levity now."

Lolz.

"in the second snippet of [my] above post", you'll see that I trap the <Enter>, <down> & <up> arrow keys. Any other key inputs are ignored, i.e., get shoveled off to textbox_changed event handler subs.

It has to do with trapping focus changing input, i.e., through utilizatoin of the Z-list, and the input itself (which doesn't change focus - and should be processed by textBox_text changed handler subs).

arrow nav, including <Cr>+<Lf>, i.e., <Enter> and <Tab> keys function differently depending on the even_handler subs implemented.

The aforementioned posts and stuff are days and days of my own heartbeats distilled for use by those interested. There may be relevancy to web-form design, no guarantee's are made ITR. The aforementioned should be used as 'model' and perverted to ones desire.