Vegas editing suite Magix

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Trusteft, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

The Vegas suite is nothing new, it exists as "regular" and pro versions for many years. They were bought up by Magix few years ago as Sony decided to sell it.

Not the best, but ok.

A couple of releases and we reached the point where the latest version of the Vegas suite (not the pro) which is version 17, received a new version! Version 18!
    So you want to upgrade to version 18, you even receive a pop up window when you open the software to send you to their site to upgrade to 18 for a low low price!

All good?

Not exactly. you start looking at the site selling you the upgrade. Hmm, it looks a bit half arsed compared to previous upgrades. Very little actual information, very little, what info there is lacks the usual details. Even the few screenshots and videos have almost no shots of the actual program in use. What little there is, doesn't look like Vegas. I wonder why.

Oh yes, because it is NOT Vegas. Magix for years have their own other product, Magix Movie Edit Pro or whatever it is called. A very....user friendly, yes let's go with that, editing software. So here is what Magix did. Cancelled the Vegas product, renamed Magix Movie Edit Pro to Movie Studio 18, and are selling what is basically Magix Movie Edit Pro 2021, as the upgrade (version 18) of Vegas Movie Studio 17.

I want to throw up.

The Vegas Pro remains untouched with the proper version reaching 19, but if that will remain as is for long is as good as a guess as any.

I want to throw up.

Pissed off.

EDIT: Here is a good video about it. Not my video.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  2. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

Well, there goes another (reasonably) good product down the drain :'(...

Thought Magix would actually boost up the quality of the product... this was probably all planned from the beginning of the purchase - buy Vegas, make a few major releases, try to convince everyone to switch to our own product... not the best tactic, but it does work from time to time.

3. Trusteft

Vegas is fine for the most part. This was just a dick move by them.
    Funny thing is, it wasn't entirely Magix's fault. I mean the passing of their other software as the upgraded version of Vegas was, but not the decision to stop developing the Vegas Studio. That was up to the developers.
    Now they only make Vegas Pro, which apparently was done so that they can focus on it and it alone...
    True or not I don't know, but when I decide to upgrade I will consider the Pro release.

GigaWatt likes this.
  4. GigaWatt

The Pro version is actually pretty good TBH :). Been using it for years now ;). It has a few bugs here and there (exporting extra large clips, as in anything more than few hours, can crash Vegas... or the rendered clip is incomplete), but it's a really fast NLE... compared to Premiere that is. Never was an Adobe fan. All of their software is mostly uneeded bloath... like fancy-pants menus and stuff like that. Verry little of that whole Premiere package goes into useful features and tools, but hey... it's the defacto standard NLE for most producers and companies, so... can't really turn the whole industry around, right :D.

Trusteft likes this.
  5. Trusteft

Sure you can.

BTW, can you edit and export in vertical 4K using Vegas Pro? I assume you have the latest version.

GigaWatt likes this.
  6. GigaWatt

Meeeh... takes a lot of work... not really the guy for the job :p :D.

Mhm, you can ;). But, not using the predefined export options, you have to manually define vertical and horizontal resolution... at least that's the way I do it, there may be some other way, haven't really looked into it.

Haven't tried it through rotation metadata either. As in, export in regular 4K and just set a 90 degree flip in metadata... I believe Vegas also had an option like this. Well, even if there isn't, you can set it manually, there are tools that can edit metadata ;).

And no, I'm not using the latest Vegas Pro, I'm on 17.0.452.

Trusteft likes this.
  7. Trusteft

But you can, natively, that's what matters.
    On Suite 17 you can't and it pisses me off as I either export it in vertical 1080p, even though the original is vertical 4K, or what I do for some time now, not edit them and wait to find another solution.
    But if you 100% can natively edit and export in vertical 4K then I guess it's only a matter of time till I get the Pro version, sale willing.
    Thank you for the info.

GigaWatt likes this.
  8. GigaWatt

No prob ;).

So... what you're saying is that the Vegas Suite 17 doesn't have a custom rezolution option? You can't edit a preset?

9. Trusteft

It does have a custom resolution option. It just doesn't accept that high resolution. Vertically.

10. GigaWatt

Hm... paying for a product that can't do 4K vertically... pretty unfair. 4K might've been science fiction 5, 6 years ago, but it's pretty common nowadays.

And I really can't see a reason to not support vertically 3840 pixels... in the end, it is the same number of pixels (if you use 2160 as your horizontal resolution that is).

Trusteft likes this.
  11. Trusteft

It's one of the reasons I am having second thoughts getting the Pro. I already paid for the Suite to get this BS limitation. Not that crazy about paying more money (even with an upgrade price) for something I should have in the first place.

GigaWatt likes this.