Velbac - Sends audio from a Creative soundcard to another soundcard

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Tril, Mar 18, 2007.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

Tril, I can't even install Surround plugins for Winamp!!...
    I mean they will install but don't show up as options in winamp...
    back to the topic I guess..

2. Socio

Socio New Member

We I have been trying to get Velbac to work again with digital cable out to the Creative Audigy internal drive, still no sound. The internal drive seems to work, I am using the Digital coax in on the internal and can output via the optical out on the internal back to receiver and get sound.

I am using the KX drivers this time, I do not know much about them and have tried every combination of settings to no avail. I have the Audigy 2 set as the default recorder and my X-Plosion set as default play back device in the control panel.

This is what my settings look like on my last attempt;

[​IMG]

Any suggestions?

3. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

When using the kX drivers with Velbac, You need to connect some wires in the DSP.

In the DSP, connect the first 6 pins of Surrounder+ to the pins asio0 to asio5 on epilog.

DSP screenshot

4. Socio

Socio New Member

Thanks will test that out!

5. GeneralClaymore

GeneralClaymore Active Member

I know Kernel Steaming plugin for winamp will do it same for foobar. I had a Kernel steaming plugin but lost it

6. skinnie

skinnie New Member

Tril there is no way to "mod" this program to work for other cards no?for example it would be very cool for me if this program could do the same but with my onboard =) [soundstorm]
    thanks

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

You could use the Soundstorm as the output card but you need a Creative card for the default card. You could use the soundstorm to encode to digital surround any audio coming from the Creative card...
    I am not sure if Trill is planning on making this application totally universal or not.

8. skinnie

skinnie New Member

I am only using soundstorm because it has hardware accelreation and to avoid buying a creative card,that was very cool if this program could be universal =)

9. Socio

Socio New Member

I can now confirm Velbac works with XFI pro card and the X-Plosion DD/DTS card playing back DD in from Cable box with the XFI decoding and the X-Plosion doing on the fly DD 5.1 encoding of non 5.1 channels and it sounds awesome! :)

Note: I found that you have to enable bit matching playback in Creative's audio mode to use the two card setup I mentioned or you get lip sync problems. Should also be noted when using Bit Matching is also means no Crystalizer, EQ or other enhancements.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  10. Socio

Socio New Member

I found if I loopback with the XFI I can use Winamp for example for playing back cable TV sound with stuff like crystalizer and SVM enabled then outputting to my X-Plosion with no latency or lip sync problems. However with Velbac using the same settings I do get, latency or lip sync problems.

I know you guys are developing a version for Vista however was thinking, while you are at it maybe you can find a way to reduce latency or perhaps make low latency versions of Velbac for XP & Vista.

I know with the VAC there is a a small program that is called Audio repeater that can be used to playback line in from one card and back out another. Using stock settings you get bad latency but if you set the Total Buffer ms from 1000 to 100 you get no latency. So it maybe just a matter of providing a way to manipulate all the buffers associated with the playback.

11. Tril

I'll see about improving the latency in XP and Vista.

On Vista, DirectSound is now built on top of WASAPI. I think that it's possible to use WASAPI directly and get better latency. I have to look at that possibility.

12. Socio

Socio New Member

Awesome!

13. The-Paper-Route

The-Paper-Route New Member

In advanced settings would there be any problems if i put it realtime ?

14. skinnie

skinnie New Member

Guys I am having a strange problem,after about 30/40minutes of audio playing trhough velbac the sound begins to distort...
    I don't know if the problem is the card or the program,as I only use it with velbac.
    I am running xp pro sp2 with all updates tried both official and youp pax drivers..and it is the same thing.
    CAn it be the card that is running too hot?I saw somewhere that this cards "need" an heatsink...
    thanks

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX New Member

@Skinnie, I don't think that is the issue because your card would have this issue with Velbac or not. It just could be a glitch with that certain game. I notice some games will do this if ASIO is set to high and some do it if set to low. Some times you can just pause the game and stop playback of Velbac and restart it if the issue gets bad....Hope these little tips help..

16. GeneralClaymore

I finally got it to work right in vista, on a diffent mobo tho. Works nice til the sound stops and have to reboot . or it crash =/. Gonna just wait for the newer one to come out . before I mess with it again.

17. Tril

The new version is almost done. There does not seem to be any major bug. I finally got myself Vista. I'm going to install it soon and test the new version on it to make sure it works reliably. Right now, it seems to work fine on Windows XP.

Sorry for the wait. I was not in the mood to program these past few months. During my last school semester, I worked almost full time on a semester project that involved complex programming in a language I did not know before starting the project. That was an interesting and frustrating experience. That was too much programming and I got "saturated". It took me a while to feel like restarting programming again in my free time.

18. Tril

I released a new version. Go to the webpage shown in the first post to download it.

In this version :
    • I got rid of all MFC code (it's the code for the GUI) and used wxWidgets instead. It's a move to move toward open source. I can now compile the code without having MFC which is not free.
    • I fixed a few small bugs. Sorry if I can't be more precise, I did not take note of every changes.
    • I added Winamp output plugins support.
    To use Winamp output plugin :
    • Copy the file nscrt.dll from the Winamp folder to the Velbac folder (only necessary for some Winamp plugins).
    • Copy the output plugins you wish to use to the plugins folder inside the Velbac folder.
    • A maximum of 5 plugins located in the plugins folder can be recognized at a time.
    I added that support to try to improve the output latency by using output plugins written by better programmers than me. I took some latency measurements on my pc. Here's what I got with an ASIO latency set at 4 ms :
    • DirectSound (my code) = 57 ms
    • Plugin : kernel streaming v3.62 = 47 ms
    • Plugin : kernel streaming v2.5 = 7 ms
    The kernel streaming plugin v2.5 gives a very low latency but it can sometimes/often produce crackling sounds.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  19. GeneralClaymore

great job, i think i keep the A2zs in and use the program for a bit longer since i haven had any problems with the new ver yet.

20. GeneralClaymore

some odd reason I lose my center where it plays out all but the center, odd thing it only happens with certain games . and i tried all of the settings. i even tested it in both Xp and vista.i'll see if i get that problem with the older ver.

edit: i went to try the old ver and the download link doesnt work any more.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007