Ventrilo and Online Communications

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by soundguy_99, Aug 8, 2007.

1. soundguy_99

soundguy_99 New Member

Hey guys,
    First off I have looked around the forum, and I have noticed there has been a few posts about this already so forgive me if this seems to be rehashing this same topic, but I was interested if anyone has sucsesfully implemented this yet.
    I love KX progject and like most people use it to control my surround system for my pc, I also use it for managing my inbound and outbound audio for use with such programs like Ventrillo, especially for online gaming.
    So that in mind I have two questions.
    When I do online gaming using Ventrillo, and trasmit, I also transmit alot of noise (game noise) that the mic pickes up from my speakers even with the game sound turned down, as well as well as when I recieve I get alot of game noise from my friends end, because of the same situation.
    I know there has been talk of noise cancelation plugins, but is there a way, I can clean up the audio I am tranmitting to him, as well as the audio I reciecing from him to cancel out that game noise. Would droping the mic out of phase with my speakers cancel out the noise I am transmitting him, and then what could be done with audio I recieve.
    Also I wondering if anyone has sucsessfully done something done this, and could suggest a setup, for both KX project, as well as settings for Ventrillo, I might be able to use.
    Any thoughts are greatly apreciated,
    soundguy_99

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Honestly (IMO), your best bet is to use a decent headset with a noise canceling MIC.

3. RetroPhuture

RetroPhuture New Member

Perhaps you are using a low quality codec in Vent (TeamSpeak always sets it to lowest)?

Also I don't understand "a lot of game noise"? If by that you mean sounds from games are picked up by your mic, then I suggest you start using headphones and/or use push to talk key so game sounds won't get accidentially picked up if that is the problem.

But if you think about actually FILTERING out sounds from games that get picked up while you talk with some equalizers or noise reduc techniques, well that is IMO near impossible.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  4. will5757

will5757 New Member

doesn't seem impossible to me, though i don't know how hard it would be to implement

if you take the offending input (wave channel it sounds like,) and invert the phase to cancel it out, the mic sound would be clear. a method like this only works for sounds generated by the pc itself though.