VGPU MOD on 9700 pro?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Silverfox, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Has anyone around here attempted this mod on the 9700 pro and if yes, to what degree of success or failure? I have only read a few articles on it, so I am not in tune to all the steps and procedures as of yet. Thanks for any replys! :confused:

2. LardArse

LardArse DH No1 AMD Overclocker

Yes, its a very useful mod and I think the same Voltage regulator IC chips are used for almost all makes and revision of the cards, even the 9800 uses the same for the VGPU.
    The mem mods on the 9700 are different for Rev 3.0s.
    Modded quite a few 9700 pros VGPU all with good results, 440+ on good aircooling too. Best remove shim + upgrade the cooler if you're doing the mod.

3. shuki

shuki New Member

Lard do you have any links or info on a how to?

4. LardArse

5. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

LardArse, thanks for the info. Did you add all three resistors as shown, and can you still get a decent boost without attempting the one under the plate that may cause a problem removing? I have only air cooling and have added the crystal orb and 8 ramsinks by tweakmonster, and have also already removed the shim. Even with these simple mods, I can still only get at 375/349 before artifacts in 3dmark03. http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=849960

6. LardArse

I did all mods except the metal plate. Be careful if you do the Vref, it frys your memory really fast if you go too high. I could hit 400 Mhz memory with the mods. The VGPU give you more gains.

7. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

So, you only added two resistors and like me thought better than fooling around under the metal plate! Did you use precision 2.7k resistors or just regular tolerance rated ones? And did you use the same ohmic rated values depicted in the link?:lol: Lardarse, did you use smd grabbers in lieu of soldering, for fear of damaging the chips from the heat of soldering the resistors on? Thanks for any replys!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2003
  8. shuki

shuki New Member

I'd really like to do that vgpu mod but have no grabbers and no access to them over here :( and no way I am busting out the soldering iron!!

9. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

LardArse, Shuki, here`s another vmod their doing on both the 9700 pro and 9800`s. Dont know if its as effective as the one you posted here earlier Lard, but some of these guys using it are up in 20`s easy and clocking well over 400 on just the normal mods. ( shim removal, better hsf`s, etc.) Looks like they only tap into the one chip. ;) One of the guys using this one chip vmod is scoring over 7100 in 3dmark03 and over 22k in 01, with clock speeds of 531/388 (on a 9800pro)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2003
  10. LardArse

Heres the bigger type of grabber I was talking about.
    [​IMG]

I cant buy small SMD grabbers over here and this is the smallest I can find.

Heres my Hercules 9700P cooling and voltage mod.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my Giga 9700P cooling and V mods
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silver Fox, thats the VGPU mod, the simplest of the 4 and most effective as well.
    I did 3 mods, VGPU, Vref and VDD and not the VDDQ under the plate. Used all variable resistors for them. On my Gigabyte Rev. 1.0 board, I set them higher like 8K ohm first and slowly tuned down. The Vref on this Giga board, I used a pencil to mod.
    For my Herc Rev 3 board, all mods were done with variable resistors and the memory volt mods were a bit different on this card.

11. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Lard, those are some great pics and mods youve done! Im sorry my previous post didn`t depict the one chip mod for you too see, although im sure you know which one it is! http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/guides/R9700_Vmod_1.html Lard, what exact heatsink and fan setup do you have on the giga depicted in your last pics. I need to get a better hsf than this TT crystal orb I have. All I have done is remove the shim, added the orb, and 8 ramsinks. Where did you purchase the HSF and how did you mount it? On second thought I just looked, and I dont think I would have clearance, unless you can give me the exact height dimensions of the hsf, or the specs on its website may tell me. Before I do any of the vmods, I need to improve at least the orb hsf I presently have. Or do you think this HSF would be sufficient to use with at least the vgpu vmod? http://my.execpc.com/~chris431/ Another friend on these forums is fixing to use this, and Im sure i would have clearance using it, if you think it would be efficient enough with the vgpu mod?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2003
  12. LardArse

Yep thats the VGPU.

The blue HSF is kind of a brandless cheap CPU cooler I picked up from a shop. Its going for $9 with a pretty weak fan on it which I replaced. Unfortunately I don't know where you can get hold of one where you live. Here are some pics of how I mounted it.

[​IMG]

Of course the shim had to go...
    [​IMG]

Sawed alternate sides of the heatsink to mounting hole dimension.
    [​IMG]

Slipped in 2 cable ties
    [​IMG]

Mounted the heatsink and secured it with another 2 cable ties at the back. And later cut off excess ties.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally a fan behind core for added cooling
    [​IMG]

Works great, with a volt mod to 1.77v it went up to 445Mhz. The fan is quite strong and even so, above 1.77v the HSF starts to get overwhelmed.
    The copper cooler you showed me looks ok, with a good fan, it should be able to handle up to 1.7v without a problem. Above that, might start getting overwhelmed.
    I soldered but you can use grabbers.

13. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Thanks Lard, heres the specs on the hsf you said may be sufficient up to around 1.77v. It does push out around 25cfm, which is at least twice what the little fan does on the tt orb. Here it is again, for you to read the specs: http://store.yahoo.com/directron/dc1206bmr.html Now do you think it will still be sufficient? Yes, I too dont mind soldering, as long as the heat generated from the pencil tip iron wont damage the chips internally while soldering on their pins.

14. LardArse

I meant 1.77v is the spot where my blue cooler handles up until. From the looks of yours, 1.7v should not be a problem if mounting is good. Above that, you'll just have to see if its helping your overclock. Anyway, the gain in overclock from 1.73v onwards is quite little.

15. toddsmack2k

toddsmack2k It Never.....

Well I dont really have anything to add but WOW! Very nice LardArse!

16. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

LardArse, would it be beneficial in any way to add a heatsink on top of the aluminum plate that covers the graphics memory voltage regulator? That plate gets mighty hot to the touch. Just wondering! I dont plan on removing the existing plate, but just thought about adding some type of large ramsink on top of it, that may help dissipate some of the heat. ;)

17. LardArse

Yes it would as this plate is kind of insufficient as I'm sure your finger told you. I added one for my Hercules 9700 Pro seen here in close up.
    [​IMG]

18. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Thanks LardArse, I`ll pick one up tommorrow at a electronics store im going to. Also since im like you and am going to solder my pot to the pins for the vgpu mod, I dont want to generate too much heat on the chip while soldering, since I cant seem to find any one around here with any smd grabbers, I used to place an alligator clip just downstream of the solder joint next to the component so the clip would take alot of the heat from the soldering gun. But its kinda hard to do it on such a small chip with out at least a grabber to act like a heatsink. Any ideas or do you think it`ll be alright soldering so close to the chip without a heatsink acting device?

19. LardArse

Its alright, the chips can withstand high temps. In any case contact time between solder and chip leg shouldn't take more than 3 to 4 seconds.

20. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Thanks LardArse, they say to crank the 10K pot to 8k ohms prior to hooking it up, in order to start out around 1.6v when you first power-up. Does this sound about right from your experience? And did you use a fan tail header for your ground off the pot, or just go to case ground somewhere. I know in the x-bitlabs depiction of the mod, they went with a 2.7K shunting resistor between pin 18 and 20 directly on the chip, which gave them they say a 1.75V base on initial start-up. I kinda like going the 10K pot route myself, what do you think? With just modded air-cooling the 1.75V may be too high!