Video Capture Software from External Device

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Jitter, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Jitter

Jitter Active Member

I am trying to put old VHS tapes onto DVD for a lady at work. I bought the diamond video capture device and a digital video stabilizer. Currently I am using cyberlink power director to capture the video and audio. Everything works OK, but the volume on the captured file is extremely low. Is there an easy way to fix this, or is there some better software I can use instead. I saw a tutorial online that said i can put the video on the timeline, then goto edit audio, trim, and adjust the volume from there. Is it really that simple? I am at work now so i couldnt test it out, just wanted some ideas to try for when I got home.

Thanks

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

With dozens and dozens of VHS tapes in our own library, I attempted a project like this several years ago.

What I finally did was go to Walmart and pick up the Magnavox VHS/DVD Player/Recorder. Just pop in the VHS tape and a blank DVD and press the Dub button to record from VHS to DVD. No fuss/no muss. You only have to go into the menu to set the length of recording time involved and the device takes care of the rest.

This one also recognizes the correct speed that the VHS was recorded at originally...so, if the VHS tapes were previously home-recorded rather than commercially recorded then that's taken care of, too.

But, if you persist in going the route you're going, then, yes, adjust the audio volume should be very simple. However, my only resource is the totally free Windows Live Movie Maker....which I do use often enough to edit digital videos.

In the Audio Tools, you can set the volume very easily. And, with this app, you can also establish video quality for the playback as well as record it directly to DVD.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/movie-maker-get-started

For recording video directly to my PC, I have the AverMedia TV Capture device. It, too, has nice features. I mainly picked this up for use with my XBOX 360 so that I could take screen shots and record video of my 360 gaming. Works like a charm!

3. Jackson Ku

Jackson Ku New Member

Another possible solution might be to use a Joyoshare Screen Recorder to capture sound. You can adjust the volume of the system sound or microphone directly during the recording.