Videogame Sales Suffer as Users Await New Consoles

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Calliers, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

NPD Group's September videogame retail numbers tell a very clear story: Gamers are waiting for new consoles, and free mobile games are raising the bar for retail sales.

2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Load of rot ... Im not buying games at the moment simply because the economy sucks so badly that i cant afford it not because im waiting for the next gen console and i suspect its the same for many

Do they seriously think that I am not buying a game today because i have some vague hope that the next Playstation or Xbox might be out in the next year or so ?

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I am in the same position as you. If I had the money I would easily buy about 10+ games per month. I have a "to buy" list which keeps increasing lol.

I am looking forward to the next generation (as long as they don't have DRM activation crap) but that has nothing to do with me not spending as much money on games as I would have liked to.

4. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

I do have the money, but cant simply keep up with the amount of games, got games on my backlog which is over then a year old >_>
    Also it's properly wise of me to save some money, instead of using them on video games ^^

It's great we are getting lots of quality titles, but not many have time for the huge amount of titles released in a year.

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I have a problem with their conclusion too, as PS2 games and even hardware kept on selling and selling long after the current generation of consoles came out, but, interestingly, it is only the console sales that are suffering, PC sales seem fine. Maybe it's easier to find good deals on PC games then on console titles?

BTW, about a month ago I made a list of my game purchases for this and last year and found that I've spent more on games over the last 9 months than during the whole last year, yet, apparently, I've been gaming less (Steam stats). So, while my personal trend was opposite from the global situation, I now intend to cut back my games spending, as I already have a backlog of good games I own, but can't find the time to play. I preordered Assassin's Creed III in mid September and that might be the last game purchase for me until the Steam Christmas sales.

6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

It wasn't too very long ago that I could get AAA games on release date...or very close to it...for $29-39 USD. With today's games selling at release for $59-69 USD, I simply cannot...and won't...buy games like i used to.

My own personal "buy at price" amount is now closer to $49 and then only if it's a really, really "need to have this game" issue.

While I understand that the cost of making the games has risen, and that piracy has become a huge issue to the developers' bottom lines, I still have a hard time wrapping my head around a game being worth what it's costing what they are charging at release today.

I don't even consider the matter of "next gen console." It's all $$$ to me.

7. IvanV

The development costs are determined by the publisher alone, so I don't see that as an excuse. If you've spent so much that you've got a problem recovering your investment, you have overextended yourself, you are running your business poorly. Besides, an "average" AAA shooter has maybe a 6-7 hours single player campaign and a handful of multiplayer maps on release (later extended through payed DLCs), it's using readily available engines (CoD has been using the same one for... how long?!) and even the visual design elements are borrowed across the games (to the point where people started making those "spot the difference" screenshots). And it's buggy on release. So where does the money go, advertising?!

As for piracy, if a movie blockbuster can spend even more on production and make money despite being both cheaper to watch and easier to pirate, things somehow don't add up. Besides, PS3 has almost no piracy, Xbox 360 has a fairly moderate degree of piracy and PC has been playing the second fiddle, getting games late and even then very cheap ports (which no one would be making if they weren't profitable).

On the other hand, games are more expensive than ever, yet the people's ability to buy is probably at the lowest point in a rather long time. Doesn't seem to difficult to draw a conclusion, but it seems that all business leaders are in a reality distortion field of their own: "La-la-la, games aren't expensive! La-la-la legal buyers don't mind DRM! La-La-la, single player is a thing of the past! La-la-la, day one DLCs are the most brilliant thing ever!"

8. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

kind of a vicious circle.. with the prices this high, they will push people into piracy, which will lead to reduced sales and and increase in prices.. yet again.

If only they took a good look at those that release games without a DRM or high pricetage that are doing well...
    Maybe part of the problem is the quality of game that is produced nowadays.

9. Trusteft

You are both right. Or better yet, QFT.

10. thunderclap

thunderclap New Member

Well, I'm not a console gamer so that's why I'm not buying. :p However, on the PC side, it's due to financial issues as well as a huge backlog of games I just haven't gotten to. With two kids (a 3 year-old and a 1 year-old) my game time is limited these days. Throw in the mix of spending time with my wife, work and other interests, the days of wasting a day or two playing games is long gone.

These days the only time I buy games is during Steam sales. A triple-A title has to be down to $25, and any other games has to be $15 or less for me to spring. Keeps my spending under control.

11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

we used to get games for 30 bucks and it was a full game..

now you buy a game for even now in some cases 90 bucks.. and pay an additional 90 for dlc content that still doesn't equate to the same full game as the previous 30 dollar games provided.

On top of that, the publishers appear to be making the millions meanwhile the developers are barely getting a wage, specially with so many working on a single title...

12. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

It can't be that bad - I just bought HOMM III for $3.99 from GOG :D

13. IvanV

Hehe, true, but HOMM III is a relic from days gone. I think it's 14-15 years old already.

14. Calliers

I think the future of games is the free-to-play model, look at how successful titles like TF2 and LoL are and their developers and publishers (which in the case of the two games mentioned the developer and publisher are one and the same) are making a tidy sum. I wonder if the free-to-play model can be applied to every genre of game because if it can that is the route game publishers and developers should take imo.

[​IMG]

15. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

f2p is garbage..

just further widens the player base to the point of either forcing you to remain the bottom end of the game or to buy your way to the top.

it's not "f2p" then... it's a misleading model that basically throws you a demo with limited functionality and then forces you to spend more than what a real game would cost, resulting in huge dollar profits over a per title purchase. Top it off they can claim to have a few million subscribers but actual active players that are enjoy it.. not likely.

Having just recent check it out... i was actually relatively unimpressed.

16. Calliers

Well, if you consider TF2 or LoL or even DoTA 2, the free-to-play models I was describing, the actual game would be available to play without paying -anything- and the only things people would have to pay for would be totally cosmetic or something extra like extra rune pages in LoL if you really want to go pro or whatever. Many people play LoL without paying a dime at all and enjoy it fully as some people do not care about cosmetics. I do so I've dropped some major cash on LoL but that was because I wanted to and I was one of the people who liked the cosmetic aspect of the game as well.

It does depend on how it is implemented indeed. The full game should be available for players to access and then only cosmetic and unnecessary things should be charged for.

As for you not liking LoL, I think if you do not like the RTS genre of games you would probably not like LoL, other reason people say they don't like LoL is because of the art in which case they opt for DoTA 2 or HoN or even the original DoTA which some hardcore enthusiasts still play to this day I think. I used to play a lot of the original DoTA so I came into LoL with some experience already gained from that game.

Edit: The only reason I put the comic in with what I said above is just to show that companies can still make money from a F2P game.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  17. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

the whole premise of making money from a free to play concept, requires there to be a significance in aesthetics.. This wouldn't work in a rts, rpg or fps for example.

18. Trusteft

I am pretty sure Callandor was being sarcastic about the f2p model, the PA strip was a giveaway I think.

19. Calliers

I was actually being serious, the comic strip was just to show that the company that makes the game still makes a lot of money from the people who spend on the game. However, I will say this again, the fully functional game should be available to everyone at no cost. That is how free-to-play should be implemented. I agree with Neshi though that not every game model can be adapted to run on the F2P model but most games which rely heavily on an online theme can be I believe. This would make games more readily available to everyone and you could pick the ones you liked the most to spend on and simply just play the ones you liked but didn't think were worthy of your money. Developers and publishers would still make money on them from the paying players I believe.