Virtual Multicard setup(cableless)

Discussion in 'ASIO' started by Emu10000X, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Emu10000X

Emu10000X New Member

Until today's formidable witch hunt, I was in underwears...no....wait!..what!?:hmm::x:wtf:

ehem...Until today's formidable witch hunt, I was in "unawares" of ASIO4ALL's "multi-driver" capability, not multi-client(as in 2 programs sharing 1 driver), but multi-driver(as in 1 program sharing 2 or more audio cards.), for those who may have also been in unawares.

Right now I am using my trusty M-Audio Delta 44 As my master out and routing my SBLive card to it through FLStudio's(read:any asio host) mixer with excellent results, and this on a Core Duo with one core deactivated(<--please dont ask) 1.6 ghz IIRC.

Im still waiting on my first Audigy 1 Card, so I haven't tested performance with two 10k cards yet, but here's the recipe so far...

Ingredients Needed:

2 to 4 packs of 10kx cards (10k1, 10k2, 10k8 or y2k)
    1 box of KX Project audio drivers (per card of course)
    1 cup of Asio4All (just one, read it again..."Asio 4 All")
    1 Intermediate understanding of KX Dsp configuration (or just ask somebody)
    1 pint of cognac (ehh...better not, might get messy)
    3 cups of patience (Just in case you run out)

Ok then, lets get cooking:

The 10k card, by way of Asio4All drivers, only allows of course 1 Stereo(2 mono)inputs and 8 stereo(16 mono outputs), Right then, lets continue...

The Input(s) (which are outputs in KX) show up, in KX, as "WinMM Recording" in K1lt or Rec L and Rec R respectively in Epilog.

The outputs on the other hand(which as you guessed it are inputs in Kx Dsp) are hardwired of course to the Wave 0/1 --> Wave 8/9(the naming convention, IIRC, may have changed, but the function remains) in the "4x router" or the FXbus

Anywoot, the way in which I am using the KX drivers is really for the hardware function of the sound fonts, so I use the FXBus to output all sound font channels to a dsp mixer, with a reverb send and maybe some eq or compression before going into the WinMM or REC L+R outs.
    These in turn show up at the Asio4All applet as the stereo channels "from" the KX-MM drivers.

Then in the same Asio4All applet, you also chose the M-Audio card for your master output, bingo!

Now you can select the KX audio channels in Flstudio as an input to the mixer, bypassing the spdif or the DA conversion of the anlaog connections.

Routing the first card out to the second card would be simply a matter of assigning its output to 1 0f the 8 available channels thats routed to the wave 01 -8/9 channels(or the FXBus, however you personally use the dsp schematics) of the other card

So in blindsight..er...hindsight, you would mix your channels in the dsp, output it to Asio4all, bam!!...it becomes an available input in your Multitrack program, you could:

• A. record it ...
    • B. Add Vst Effects to it, then record it...
    • C. Route it back to the original card...
    • D. Route it to a second card...
    • E. Add Vst effects and then route it to a second card....
    • F.Add Vst effects and then route it to the first card....
    • G. well, you get the picture.
    :cool:

Now of course the issue of clocking and drifting will probably come into play...but I haven't gotten that far yet(waitng for my second card, aaaannyy daaay nooowww!:mad:). We shall see.

If this seems a little confusing:confused:, thats because, well...it is:lol:, but don't hesitate to ask questions.

Cheers!!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. Emu10000X

Emu10000X New Member

On a side not could the clocking issue be dealt with in hardware hacks. Hmmm?

3. siktuned

siktuned New Member

AW: Virtual Multicard setup(cableless)

Hi!

Pretty cool concept you got there...but how about the recording latencies of the routed channels...are overdubs in (near-)realtime possible?