Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. BFsMarvinTM

BFsMarvinTM New Member

Ok will do and will let ya know.

2. psies

psies New Member

3. psies

psies New Member

@catalystcatcher

I have been doing browsing on my pc, looked at system/perfomance tools etc.

I noticed two things which strike me:

take a look at this:

And what about this crazy IRQ assignment ??
    http://trancemaster.nkiteam.de/tmp/2.jpg

4. psies

psies New Member

:bleh: hmm must delete this post

5. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

That thing from ZDNET is a combination of fudd and NV marketing hype. At the very least extremely slanted in their direction. However if they are fixing driver bugs it is good for those who use the driver but it also likely means that they are able to repro the scenarios and then find the offending bit of code.

As far as two displays is concerned it is obviously a trigger for some but by no means typical for the majority of people who suffer the TDR event.

TDRs at the desktop or during stressfull game scenarios also occur. All this really means is that a TDR can happen to anyone at any time under any scenario. The trick is to uncover what actually failed and led to the TDR.

The ZD thing does have one suggestion that is correct and that is to ALWAYS report the TDR to MS and the graphics vendor.

BTW, The OCA data that goes to MS is analysed and when MS sees a big problem and a trend in the data they will let us know and ask what we can do to resolve it. I am sure they do the same with NV. So it is not a waste of time to submit the reports.

6. psies

psies New Member

ok, but is it logical that i suffer less TDR when i have AA and AF disabled?

7. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

If you get less TDR by disabling AA and AF, then it could be a driver bug, but you still must consider the overall impact of disabling the features. In all likelyhood this will reduce the work that the GPU must do and reduce heat. It may impact the amount of power the GPU is consuming. and take pressure off the PSU. I agree with earlier comments that a failing PSU may simply casue a system hang or other wierd problems but I have seen enough powersupplies die a slow death to know that they can also create very vague problems that appear as a software bug.

If turning off AA reduces the number of TDRs have you tried reducing something else to see if that also impacts the number of TDRs or how frequently they occur?

Also I don't believe everyone using the same GPU and driver as you is getting a TDR so that tends to indicate that the driver is OK. But you can never be sure.

Yes, I know this is all very tedious, but we need good solid reports and details so we can repro the issue before a developer will look at it.

Thanks

8. BFsMarvinTM

BFsMarvinTM New Member

I got the error after 5mins of play and also getting it with other games as well. gone back to 7,2 and no problems.

9. psies

psies New Member

But you now the point is, that i am using dual boot, ? Vista and XP.
    I never had any crashes or hangs during gaming under XP. Even with AA and AF on.
    If my PSU was to blaim, it should also fail under XP because it should take the same load during games.

I am still trying different settings in de ccc panel. But it takes time.
    But so far the difference between using AA and AF and TDR is really noticable.

10. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

Not true. Different driver models for graphics and the os, different DX versions. And I have no idea if the games offer up different code paths depending on what version of DX they detect.

Although one would expect identical results in either OS Vista seems to not only push harder but seems more critical of hardware. Although I would not tend to suspect a PSU under these circumstances.

Any way running perfect in XP is good but not an absolute indicator it will run in Vista.

Don't apologize for things taking time. I know that it will take time and effort to dig into a problem. And I also know that this is something a user does not wish to do which makes it an unpleasant task.

We appreciate any effort and assistance we can get to improve our product. (and avoid these messy situation as much as possible)

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  11. reggie14

reggie14 New Member

Isn't this a deficiency in the driver? Presumably its difficult for Windows to provide much feedback on the cause of the TDRs. But, you'd think that the video card drivers could log information that would provide helpful information for debugging purposes. It doesn't sound like they do that (nvidia's drivers included).

12. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

Not really. Logging information takes time and just like the end user the drivers assume the hardware is perfect so they can get on with the task of being fast. Think about it... If you had to call home and tell the wife every time you made a turn in your car or changed lanes, you would never get anywhere. (Extreme but a reasonable analogy)

If the driver had to log every action that was going to happen next the overall performance would be cut in half. At least half. In most cases the drivers expect everything to happen properly so they don't log every action. That's why debug/trace code is turned off in a production driver. A diagnostic program will keep a log but the diagnostic is under no pressure to run fast. It only needs to be thurough and accurate. Actually a windows memory dump is an attempt to capture the machine state at roughly the time of the problem, But as I am sure everybody knows an average PC will have 100s of MB of code in memory at any given time And 100s of MB of data flying around on the memory bus and PCIE bus and 10s of MB of texture data and device commands being issued per second. So when 1 bit of data is corrupted in some manner and that leads to a code loop without any exit a TDR will occur.

The real wonder is how most computers actually run properly in the first place.

13. Sunrazor

Sunrazor New Member

Ok I tried 2 different motherboards and 2 different brands of memory in different configurations. My 2 3850TurboX seems to work fine and dandy in my gf:s computer. CPU is hardly broken and the PSU gives stable voltage. I am out of clues. This gives me a headache and costs too much time and money.

Ran some Corsair RAM on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 with the same results. Driver stops responding after a while or at random. Gonna roll back to 7.12 and see what happens when I get home tomorrow.

Gear:

CPU: Intel Q6600 Quad Core @ stock settings.
    MB: Asus Maximus Formula X38.
    RAM: Ocz Reaper 2 x 2048 Mb PC6400 @ specified timings and voltage.
    GPU: 2 x HIS Radeon 3850 TurboX Limited edition 512Mb in Crossfire
    PSU: Corsair TX750W

14. BFsMarvinTM

BFsMarvinTM New Member

Tried again and same result. did a full uninstall of everything and then just installed the videodrivers and not the ccc and after 5mins it happened again. so I have gone to the 7.2 for now.
    Hope this helps.

15. speedway

speedway New Member

Hi,

I don't play games and also get the atikmdag error, but only during the start up of Windows Vista. I know have disconnected my second monitor out since it seems to be related to having a second device connected.

16. speedway

speedway New Member

Hi,

I don't play games and also get the atikmdag error, but only during the start up of Windows Vista. I know have disconnected my second monitor out since it seems to be related to having a second device connected.

Best regards,
    Pete

17. psies

psies New Member

I thought i had some luck with disabling AA and AF and AI from ATI
    But no.. with Need for speed prostreet, the game crashes every few minute orso..

I now lowered the default settings of my videocard, HIS IceQ 3 Turbo 3870.
    With default runs at 850Mhz and mem: 2400mhz.
    I underclockt it to 825mhz en 2300Mhz for the memory.
    Played NFS and COD4 and so far had no problems.

18. Sunrazor

Sunrazor New Member

Could this be a collision of some sort with Intel MB chipset drivers and ATI drivers? Just speculating here. I see alot of Intel boards with this. I am/have one myself. I am on the edge of dumping my ATI cards for Nvidia just to give it a shot and see if it disappears. This is like a digital nightmare.

19. gfish

gfish New Member

Hi,

Been getting this error only since purchasing a HD3870 card. No other system upgrades, including OS, were made. Previous card was an nVidia 7600GS. To fix the problem, I have tried Catalyst 8.1 and 8.2, and Vista x86 and x64, including SP1 RTM. The problem does not go away, except when I detach 1 monitor from my extended dual-screen setup. This is not a feasible 'fix', however, and should not be suggested as such.

Current specs:
    Intel Core 2Duo E6600
    Gigabyte 965P-DS3P (Rev 3.3)
    4gig 667 DDR2 Kingston (4x1Gig)
    HIS HD 3870 IceQ 3 512MB GDDR4 PCIe (non 'turbo' version, NOT overclocked)
    Vista x64 (SP1) [note: same error occurring under x86 Vista]
    Catalyst 8.2 [note: same error under catalyst 8.1]

PSU: 600W SuperFlower Modular PSU

I understand this is not solely limited to ATi; nVidia cards are receiving this problem. However, it seems nVidia are more proactive in trying to determine a solution. This is evident by looking at the nVidia forums- there are numerous threads and replies regarding an equivalent error. I say this only to make ATi aware that they are potentially going to alienate customers if they do not devote appropriate resources to fixing serious issues such as this. I am seriously considering purchasing an nVidia card if this error is not fixed soon.

Thankyou.

EDIT: I have also run Memtest86 for >24 hours with no errors.

20. Tlz

Tlz New Member

I just saw that the Catalyst 8.3 drivers are out so I'm going to take a chance and install them. I'll post again if something happens. Still no problems with the 7.12 drivers.