Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

Yes, all very true. But we cannot forget that the TDR event/message can also have a myriad of causes and that there are many who do not suffer (thankfully) from the issues. Unraveling each case and identifying the root cause for each case is therefore extremely difficult.

2. xengren

xengren New Member

Does everybody who has this problem have a dual core processor? I just found out that if I disable one of the cores, the problem seems to go away also.

CatalystCatcher, if you can't reproduce this at ATI, you guys should go out and buy a computer that is known to have the same problem. It's hard to believe that after 37 pages of posts, mainstream media reporting on this problem, and many other forums reporting the same that you still can't get your hands on a single device that has this problem. Are you not trying hard enough? Can't you remote debug someone's machine? It's been almost 1 year since this bug was first reported? I'm pretty much about ready to "upgrade" back to XP which was flawless.

3. Biffes

Biffes New Member

Same Problem here:

My Errors started with the use of Vista64 in January. Tried several drivers (last: 8.3 Hotfix) still no joy. I am getting a TDR ( 5 times in a row + BSOD ) once a day.

My Spec:

Intel 915 2800mhz -Dualcore
    Ga-P965-Ds4
    2 Gb ddr2 800 (@666) Ram (yes, 2x1gb)
    Hd3850
    Extended view on 19 TFT (1280x1024) + 19 Crt (1280x960)

Everything is up2date.

The bug is starting on idle OS or while browsing. there have been almost no problems with the driver while gaming. Disabling Aero seems to give some extra time till the crash arrives.

4. gwhiz2k

gwhiz2k New Member

I hadn't had a rolling TDR error (4 or 5 times resulting in a lockup) since March 16th, but had the occasional "single" TDR error, which is really more of an annoyance. I've been on 8.3 drivers, and I had CCC process disabled from Task Manager. Obviously disabling CCC doesn't seem to be the answer, unless there is more than one source for the problem on my machine.

Had a catastrophic rolling error today that caused me to lose a whole bunch of work. Please, please, please... Fix this ATI.

5. parfin67w

parfin67w New Member

Q6600
    Mobo=GF7050V-M7
    ATI RADION HD 2400 PRO 1GB
    2GB RAM (667)
    Vista 64

Hi, my computer was delivered on 26/3 I installed Vista x64 also the mobo and graphics drivers. After about 2 mins the screen went black for 3 secs and I got a message "The display driver atikmdag has stopped responding and has recovered".
    after this had happened about 20 times it finally crashed my comp. So i reinstalled vista then the drivers again (i have done this about 15 times so far), and still the same problem. this is happening when aero is on and I am still at desktop there is no chance of even opening a game.
    my friend has nearly the exact same comp. The only difference between our comps is that he is running VIsta 32 and his mobo is diffrent.
    what we tried was:
    his hard drive in my comp - to see if it was the vista 64 causing the error and crashing the comp. the problem was still there.
    next we swapped graphics cards mine worked in his, his did not work in mine.
    so next we put my hard drive with x64 on it and my graphics card into his comp with his mobo. and it worked fine no errors at all the computer worked perfect and the graphics were stunning.

so i thought that it has to be the mobo. I contacted the place where i got the comp from they said try the ram ie put one stick in then the other and WOW it now works! it was a broken stick of RAM!

I dont know if this will work for everyone but after pulling my hair out and trying some crack pot sugestions am very happy the problem is solved for me.

hope you all get to the bottom of the problem and soon![​IMG]

6. Biffes

Biffes New Member

thx for the testing, parfin67w. I dont think its a broken ram thing.
    Would you kindly try the other ram-stick on your mobo in a single configuration? i would bet that it will work.
    I think the dual-channel-config is doing the trouble here... maybe your mate was using a single stick of ram all the time or his mobo doesnt support dual-channel.
    I am able to fix my pc with a single ram stick too, but no matter which slot i use or which stick i use, it has to be ONE stick. 2=tdr maybe dualchannel is too bugged to be useable under 64bit drivers + 64bit os.

7. parfin67w

parfin67w New Member

He was using the same ram as me. 1 of my sticks worked the other did not..... So i went and got 4GB. 2X2GB the ATIKMDAG has stopped but now I get the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! just comes up at random. dont know what is doing it yet. I just Can't win!:mad:

8. Biffes

Biffes New Member

a BSOD? which kind of bsod? 5xtdr+BSOD or just a single BSOD? 2gb sticks arent very compatible... maybe your mainboard cant handle em. (biosupdate?)

9. SypherNL

SypherNL New Member

Yeah, what kind of BSOD? atikmdag.sys?

10. nbroadsword

nbroadsword New Member

Hello everyone. I am also experiencing this driver display problem, the system error says it is the atikmdag file.:mad:

I don't understand why this is occuring, as if I switch back to my old card (an ATI Radeon x1600) I don't have this problem. I only get it with the ATI 2600 Pro.

System Specs:
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 4/5/2008, 20:47:56
    Machine name: AJFOSTE
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: GA-MA69G-S3H
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory: 3326MB RAM
    Page File: 1072MB used, 5814MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9589)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9589&SUBSYS_06321092&REV_00
    Display Memory: 1906 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 500 MB
    Shared Memory: 1406 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Generic Non-PnP Monitor
    Driver Name: atidxx32.dll,atidxx64,atiumdag.dll,atiumdva.dat,atiumd64,atiumd6a,atitmm64
    Driver Version: 7.15.0010.0096 (English)
    DDI Version: 10
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 2/25/2008 23:00:40, 1499136 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp:
    Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-D6C9-11CF-1571-3826A1C2CA35}
    Vendor ID: 0x1002
    Device ID: 0x9589
    SubSys ID: 0x06321092
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C
    Deinterlace Caps: {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    {3C5323C1-6FB7-44F5-9081-056BF2EE449D}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {552C0DAD-CCBC-420B-83C8-74943CF9F1A6}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {6E8329FF-B642-418B-BCF0-BCB6591E255F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled

Basically the error is saying that this file stops responding, then recovers. It does this A LOT!! Other times, my screen goes black and never recovers, where I then have to do a system powercycle and then everything returns to "normal". However the problem keeps occuring EVEN AS I WRITE THIS BLOODY POST!!

FIX THIS PROBLEM PLEASE! lol:sigh:

11. coolsystems

coolsystems New Member

Having the same video problems on a NEW DELL XPS 420

I have been getting the "display-driver-atikmdag-stopped-responding-error" on my new DELL system since the day I opened the box.(ATI RADEON HD2600PRO)
    DELL hasn't really been any help at all.all they want to do is run the hardware diagnostics,then if it comes up without any errors,wants to tell me that its got to be a software error,& basically I am on my own.

IT's been bad.I couldn't even open media center,or play a DVD.Every time I would either get a crash,or the driver restart error.Sometimes it would do it while idle just reading at a web page.
    Well about 4 or 5 days ago I downloaded ATItools 2.6.I installed it,went in,set it to "override fan speeds",where ati tools controlls the fan, & havent had a crash or error since.Its been so stable I havn't even rebooted yet.(kinna scared i'll reboot & i will start to crash again?).And,I was crashin at least 10-20 times a day before.
    so maybe ATItools may help Others as it has helped me?I know its only a bandaid,but if it stops it crashin,& I can watch tv on my pc,& use it like its supposed to be I'll take it.
    BTW,my card sits at around 60-65C at idle.only drops to like 55 idle with the fan set at 100%.Anyone know if this is normal?(I khow the 2600HD cards run hot)Thanks,
    Chad

BTW,I forgot to mention that i tried running just the driver without the CCC app,& still had problems,& now I am running with just the drivers without CCC,& the ATI tools.
    I don't think my card is over heating,I just think that the ATI tools controlls somthing in the driver that was causing the system to become unstable.??????Just trying to figure out this mess like everyone else.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  12. awrotek

awrotek New Member

I have 'display-driver-atikmdag-stopped-responding-error" on Vista 32 , most often when playing card games.
    My system configuration E8400 on Asus P43E Deluxe, ATI 3850. I use dual dislplay:
    1st at 1600x1200, 2nd 1268x1024. I hope this information will help ATI people troubleshoot the problem.

13. nbroadsword

nbroadsword New Member

coolsystems, you have a link to this ATI Tools? I'll give it a shot, as I don't have much more to lose.

14. gwhiz2k

gwhiz2k New Member

I think that might explain some of the problems, but I believe many of us are having different issues. I think some of those who get crashes when playing games or DVD's could be experiencing heat-related problems.

Others however (like myself) are having COMPLETELY RANDOM crashes with no explanation or stimulus, and can play games/DVDs as well as anything else. In fact, I KNOW my problem is not heat related, because I've had Rivatuner monitoring temps and fan speeds for a while now. My card is running cool (50). I've gotten snapshots (see previous post) of the system after a lockup, and the card was not hot.

This time I've been a bad troubleshooter, because I've technically done more than one thing (got frustrated), so I'm not sure what helped. However, here's the latest:

1. Uninstalled and completely REMOVED the ATI 8.3 software (driver + CCC). Went back to low res native vista driver, then downloaded and installed DRIVER ONLY version (no CCC).

2. 3 days later (with no errors), I installed service pack 1. Last error was March 31. NO ROLLING TDR CRASH, not even a single TDR (which I would get an average of once a day).

I'm leaning towards the "driver only" fix as opposed to SP1, because like I said, no TDR's at all for 3 days. Even though it was only 3 days, this completely stopped all the single random variety of TDRs.

So... if you're having in-game trouble, install an app to turn up the fan. If you're having random crashes with no cause, try completely removing (including using the ATI driver removal tool - cat-uninstaller.exe), and re-install the non CCC version (driver only).

It would be helpful if people could try both of these and see if problems persist. I'll report back if I get another crash

*crosses fingers*
    *touches wood*
    *throws salt over shoulder*

:duh:

15. Biffes

Biffes New Member

What temps do you got on load- you can easily check it with ati tools- just turn on the 3d view ("show 3d view") and watch your temps. they should stay below 90 c.

I will give it a try. maybe the trouble with ccc has something to do with a bugged installation of .net. i remember some trouble with the x32-x64 versions while autoupdating vista.... have to check this out

edit: @nbroadsword

here ya go: ATITool - Overclocking utility for ATI and NVIDIA cards - use the 0.27 beta for vista

Update 04-08-08:

I just rmad my hd3850 after sending 31(collected in one week!) error warnings to MS and getting a nice BSOD which destroyed about 10gbs of work.
    The MS-answer was very nice: -in short- it is amds fault. they(AMD) have no a solution. i should try to find another driver and good luck....

well kids, who broke the (Vista) window? Hector or Steve? now open for bets....

I am now using my old x1800gto. I will give you another error-update next week.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  16. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

How to prevent “Driver failed to respond “Atikmdag.sys, but has recovered” message.
    First my systems specs:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DELL DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E4500, 2200 MHz
    MB: Intel G33
    Ram: DDR2 SDRAM Dual Channel 2 sticks at 1 gig each.
    PSU: 300 watts
    1 DVD drive
    1 Floppy
    2 SATA drives 500 – 200 gigs respectively
    GPU: ATI HD 2600 XT, 512mb
    Monitor: Dell E228WFP LCD Digital + Analog signals 22inch.
    System: Vista Premium 32bit
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ custom made.
    MB: Abit KN8
    Ram: DDR3 DIM 1 stick at 2 gigs.
    PSU: 450 watts
    1 DVD drive
    1 Floppy
    1 SATA drive 200 gigs
    1 IDE drive 100 gigs
    GPU: Nvidia BFG 8600 GT, 512mb
    Monitor: Gateway FPD1810 LCD Digital + Analog signals 19inch.
    System: XP Professional 32bit
    After a couple of weeks battling this error type, from viewing over 55 or so forums, and over 1000s posts and trying out some of the following promising leads to fix this error:
    1. Downloading and installing ONLY the ATI driver software.
    2. Editing the registry.
    3. Removing a stick of ram.
    4. Trying a more powerful PSU.
    5. Removing and replacing devices one at a time such as hard drive, etc…
    6. Buying extra cooling fans.
    7. Throw the dam ATI card into the trash bin.
    Did all of the above, except the seventh one, was not ready to give up that easy!
    Most posts that I have read from the ATI (RED TEAM) that it was not there drivers causing this issue. In addition, Nvidia (GREEN TEAM) for some Nvidia users has posted similar responses. Their remedy to fix this problem was to remove one stick of ram, buy a new PSU, Buy a new motherboard, or ‘what the heck buy a completely new PC’ LOL!
    My Instructions are too long to post within this thread, therefore I created a link to my instructions for those who are having crashes after crashes and message pop ups, and cannot wait for ATI team members to come out of their holes and fix this issue.
    For those who are curious as to what my instructions did for me here are the before and after results:
    Before:
    On my average day of computer time, I would receive about 20 blue screens, 67 crashes, 111 ATIKMDAG.SYS message pop ups, all totaling up to 198 reboots.
    NOTE: Not including (Catalyts Control Center) software package.
    After:
    After doing my steps, I went from 20 blue screens down to zero, 67 crashes down to zero, 111 "ATIKMDAG.SYS" message pop ups down to zero, with a total of zero reboots.
    NOTE: Including (Catalyts Control Center) software package.
    I say “WHAT A DAM DIFFERENCE”.
    Your results will vary depending on your system, card, and driver versions you pick and use within my instructions.
    The instructions are found here: RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting
    Note: I am keeping them up only for a week or two, therefore if you are curious whether you will benefit from my instructions I suggest you grab it before it is too late. You will also need Adobe Reader to view them, which you can download and install on your own.
    Assumption to the problem:
    The ATI kernel driver is crashing because one or more of its relative components are sending a false value sent by the video card, or by DirectX 9/10 interface, thereby causing the kernel to crash.
    This false value or data is sent after the signal of the LCD monitor has changed, or when initializing DirectX 9/10 interface components and or vice versa.
    It is not a Vista problem, or an XP problem, nor a hardware problem.
    Is it the drivers?
    You betcha it is!

Conclusion to the problem:
    To the (ATI (RED TEAM)) and (Nvidia (GREEN TEAM )) I hope you will STOP cramming so much crap into these drivers just so you can save space and a little time and money. As you can see what I had to go through just to make these dam drivers work with my card. Instead of cramming all drivers for all the cards into one package, you should have special driver packages for a particular or similar card models. This also will save time in debugging hard problems such as this type, because you will not need to test every dam driver and or card model. A package such as this is not destined to fit all, PERIOD.
    I suggest both teams should look into this problem very deeply, instead of guiding customers to false theory such as buying a new powerful PSU. As you can see, my DELL has a 300-watt PSU throwing 22 amps at a +12 volt rating enough to run all my devices and more. This annoying error and crashes also occurred in an XP system using a 450 PSU, BAH!

B.M

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2008
  17. SilverDev

SilverDev New Member

Just killing CCC did not end up completely resolving the problem

Well, uninstalling CCC, and reinstalling the driver, using Windows and pointing at the inf, did not end up fixing the problem. It did improve, but did not completely go away. For a while I got the corrupted screen where it looks like someone jacked the horizontal control, rather than BSOD, and less often, but that's the same basic result. Still effectively a frequent hard reboot, just without a dump.

It's worth noting that I'm not playing any games. So this is basically just the Aero interface and a secondary monitor that are contributors, from what I can tell.

I went to safe mode, killed the atikdmag.sys file, which then forced Vista to roll back to a generic vga driver.

Tried reinstalling again by using Windows and pointing at the inf, again, which, of course, reinstalled 'atikdmag.sys'.

I still tend to believe this is an ATI problem, even if its related to hardware or Vista. Life's rough, Microsoft is a pain, manufacturers are a pain, still ATI's issue. I have to keep fighting this with my work laptop and will try Bad Mouth's solution of rolling back several components of the driver before re-install, if the problem persists, and then will post back.

I've used that kind of solution on other laptops in the past, with similar issues, and had luck. Even to the point of telling the driver I'm using an older, but compatible card. (and sometimes a newer, and not so compatible card... :lol: )

I'm in the market for a new personal laptop and I plan on insisting on anything but an ATI card for the graphics device in whatever laptop I get. No more 'Mobility Radeon'.

Personally, I think ATI would be well served to approach the guy that posted here as Mr. D (axmt), in the last couple weeks, and wrote the long posts back and forth with the Catalyst guy (CATALYSTCATCHER), and offer to buy a couple of his computers from him to troubleshoot against. Replace with equivalents or something. Heck, you could even mark it as a marketing effort and write off the cost. At least then, perhaps ATI could correct the issue in a few specific configurations. There has to be something to be learned there.

Good luck peoples. I'll post back in another week or two and share any success or failure.

SilverDev
    -=-

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  18. axmt

axmt New Member

SilverDev,

They would not do that any more than they would issue a refund for merchandise that has been RMA'd more than twice. It would be admitting to being the POSSIBLE root of all the trouble.

They won't do that. But they will sure Argue with you, Blame your software, your Knowledge, your thought process, your other hardware, the professionals you use..

The RMA'd 3870 came in a few days ago, put it in , installed drivers, wasn't on for 5 minutes before I got Horizontal lines across the Screen, did a hard reboot,, was up for 30 min got the ATIKMDAG error then the computer froze.

For a lark I had decided to put an old X700 Ati Card in one of my still fuctioning computers that I had found laying around while I waited for the RMA,, Guess what folks untill i tried to reinstall the 3870hd not one single Issue.

Now mind you I was using an OBSOLETE graphics card and a REALLY OLD ATI driver,,, but still NOT ONE PROBLEM..

I stand by my earlier thought that this is an ATI problem,, Just like the Conflict they Have with the Current FLASH when trying to play a dtached video for m say YOU TUBE or MTV.. If you don't disable the HARWARE AXCELLERATION in Flash ur Full Screen Video either won't play or is all screwed up..ATI admits to this one and say they are going to release a New Driver to address it right around the time FLASH releases a Version update..

So is this a Driver issue or an issue with the Cards them selves??

At this point I have all but given up trying to figure this out,, Instead I have contacted the competition and engaged them in conversation as to the NVK error and the affected cards in hopes of finding a Good higher end solution from them that works with my setup. I am awaiting a call back as to what cards they have not recieved calls about pertaining to the NVK error or strange crashes at Idle like the GREEN SCREEN or HORIZONTAL LINE I saw and saw again with the new 3870..

The folks I have spoken with at ATI have not been very helpful at all and seem rather indifferent about this Issue.. Not Unpleseant or Rude,, just indifferent. Oh well, lesson learned here,, I won't buy ATI anymore ...

Oh one side note, I did some reading on the ATI 3870HD and it says it is PCI-E 2.0 ,, some further Checking and I found that PCI-E 2.0 is supposed to require an EIGHT PIN PCI-E cable from the PSU.... Interestingly the PCI-E Plug adaptor on My 3870HD is a SIX PIN.... I contacted INTEL and posed the question "What kind of problems Might I have if I have a Video Card that States PCI-E
    2.0 , but it is not getting enough power form say the PSU and would I have the same issues if I put a Video card that is PCI-E 1.0 in a PCI-E 2.0 slot ?"

the response,,, " You could see Errors relating to the Display Driver, or you might notice error notice staing the video hardware stopped working , you could even see a system lock up this would be due to the Motherboard trying to compensate thus causing an Instable voltage condition." And "Sir You could Put a PCI-E 1.0 card in a PCI-e 2.0 Slot wtih out any major Issues that we are aware of , it would be like Plugging a SATA 1 Drive into a SATA 2 capable board connection, you Just won't be fully realizing the capability of the PCI-E 2.0 slot"

Well My PSU checks out fine and EVEN with a BRAND NEW PSU we had / Have the same issues..

Soo,, I have accepted that I am just out the cost of 4 ATI 3870 HD's, oh well like I said live and learn.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  19. Spyre

Spyre New Member

The two extra cables on a 8 pin PSU cable vs a 6 pin PSU are black, and equate to ground, IE they don't do anything interesting, they don't supply any extra power though those two cables (overdrive even makes use of the two grounded pins feature as it detects the grounded pins and enables if its there). If you have the time and or inclination you can even test that yourself with a multimeter that they are ground cables. Yes the PCIe 2.0 spec says that you should have them but its about ensuring that the power supply has the correct wattage and voltage that PCIe 2.0 cards expect, so to get people to update their PSU's they changed the connectors so in theory everyone would have to update their PSU's to ones that have sufficient power available. Provided your PSU supplies the right voltages and wattage there is no reason to update the PSU, you can use a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter (for overdrive use) or stick with a 6 pin one.

20. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

Since my previous post, I have been helping coworkers, and neighbors in modifying their drivers.
    For those who have downloaded my instructions, and are still having trouble making them work, try the following modification combination:
    1. Download the 8.3 standalone driver package, and the full package 7.6 from the ATI site.
    2. When you have extracted both packages as in my instructions, instead of coping two files from the 7.6 package, we are going to copy all files EXCEPT the following:

atikmdag.sy_

3. Paste all files into the 8.3 directory.
    4. Now install the drivers as you would normally.
    Note: you can install the 7.6 (Catalyts Control Center) software package if the modification works for you.
    I have also tried this on my DELL and I am currently using it now, the difference with this modification is that both the games that I had previous mention had some minor issues, work fine now, however the game Crysis although runs normal, does not run as smooth as it did with the previous driver modification. But then again we cannot have it all.
    For those who have laptops, I did a few of them using the following packages:
    8.3 standalone driver package, and the old 7.4 package. Within the old, package 7.4 copy ONLY the following files into the 8.3 directory:
    atiumdag.dl_
    atiumdva.dl_
    This seems to work fine for the laptops I did.
    This is my last post; I hope some of you got those drivers to work, such as I did!
    I am going to take a vacation now, and give my computer a rest since it has been on for 3 weeks straight.
    I encourage anyone NOT to give up; you will find a modification that will work for you as I did, until ATI Team members get off their lazy F#&*!@ A%$#& and do something about it.
    Until then may the wind blow behind you always!
    B.M

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2008