Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

Right, here's an update that'll make you all go happy - NOT.

I decided to update to Catalyst 8.4 today, just to see if I was lucky enough to have some of my posted problems to go away. Here's the story for ya'll:

Completely removed Catalyst 8.3.
    Rebooted, and installed the 8.4 version - everything went just neat so far.

Another reboot after finishing the install, back into Windows, and the following happens:

1. CCCPrev.exe stopped working - caused by atiumdva.dll.
    2. MMACEPrev.exe stopped working - caused by atiumdva.dll.

After a couple of extra reboots, I manage to supress the faulty behaviour of atiumdva.dll.

Full of hope I loaded COD4, which has given me all the errors that I posted earlier. Play for 5 mins, and the same errors happen exactly the same way as earlier posted. Bummer!!
    What happens is, I hear the GPU fan slowing down (almost to a halt), screen goes black with some distortion of colours, then the GPU fan starts again, screen comes back on, and for a short second or two I also experience an ingame CI (Connection Interrupt). After this I can play for some secs/minutes again, until everything repeats itself.

I am getting rather sick and tired of this freakin' stuff. :x

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

so the basics of this is that both ATI and nVidia have problems with their drivers/driver packages under Vista using the latest video cards.

Do not get the idea that I am trying to say to people to go a get an Nvidia card now!

I tell you the truth I do not care whether you stay with a card that keeps crashing or halting your system, especially when you are trying to do some work related to your lively hood. If you want to use a card that crashes on you randomly, or constant while trying to finish an important document within a dead line, and lose some of your work because of a crash, BY ALL MEANS PLEASE CONTINUE TO USE IT!

Before I joined this forum, I was busting my A@# trying to figure out the cause of this problem. I did more than most people in this forum, or in any other forum would do in trying to make their cards work, and from all the forums I have visited and posts that I have read, the percentage of Nvidia users are lower than ATI users. This did not stop me from giving up, I was always an ATI fan, but times have changed.

I did all these testing for a reason, and that is to try and find out or at least narrow it down, so that everyone including ATI members can get a better picture as to where the problem maybe. I had a few friends hunting me about getting a GeForce 8800 GT, in trying to make me stop what I was doing.

They were right, I didn’t have to go through all this crap, for about 2 months trying to solve this problem, I could of just as well go to Circuit City and buy a GeForce 8800 Ultra as one of my friends suggested. However, the point was to get a card similar to the ATI HD 2600 XT, so that I can see if the problems or issues do occur on my system with the card. So that’s what I did, and as for the lasted higher end cards having the problem, the ATI HD 2600 XT and the GeForce 8600 GT came around the same time, so that’s no accuse and no indication that it is just related to the latest high-end cards.

As for the vista operating system, it is one of the best systems that I ever use in my entire life, and I been around since the good old 3.1 windows. Therefore, I know a lot when it comes to a system, and believe me VISTA is not the culprit.

Therefore, I well end this with a good saying:
    If the shoe fits, then wear it!
    B.M :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2008
  3. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

Man, you must be high strung or something.:sigh:

1. Noone has acused you of anything.
    2. Buying a new nVidia card worked good for you - fine.
    3. I have seen a lot of nVidia card owners that don't do so fine due to this error.
    4. There are a lot of us who have been around since Windows 3.1 - what a statement of you there. As if it where someone that could or even would care to prove you right or wrong on that. Any fool can say that in a forum.
    5. I never said it was Windows Vista alone that makes this error. I said that ATI/nVidia and Microsoft should join forces to get rid of the problem.

6. Now, go take a pill.

4. SypherNL

SypherNL New Member

Plus, nVidia has its own problems. Similar problems are being reported by nVidia users, so....

5. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Hey all!

Just to remind you all to stay calm and civilized. You you need to let out some steam the Flaming Warzone is for that. And could you all avoid using bright colors since they aren't clearly visible on SereneHeaven site theme.

[EDIT] do avoid using custom color white too it's not readable on SereneHeaven theme.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  6. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

If you are too cheap to go and buy another type of card, to use as a testing device, then do not complain about your so-called errors example: “Oh dam, ran BIO Shock for two hours and it crashed on meL”. Those types of post and comments are insignificant and non-related to the cause in solving the crashes and the ATIKMDAG.SYS message pop ups. But if you want to solve this problem as much as I did get off your lazy A@#$& and start posting technical facts, and configurations that you have done to your system and the results that you have gotten while doing so.
    Maybe then the ATI members can get a better picture as to where the problem maybe.
    B.M:annoyed:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2008
  7. axmt

axmt New Member

Badmouth, Some of us have posted Technical Details about our experience with the Error. From What I Can gather from reading CATALYSTCATCHER's posts some of the most important information relates to How ones System is configured HARDWARE wise. It also appears to be of interest as to what You have tried to do to create a stable workaround. The ATI folks also seem to be interested in what "Creative" solutions have been tried and what the Rational was/is behind them.
    From My perspective ( and may be from some others here ) it appears as though any reasonal proposal into the possible Origin of the More than annoying errors is examined thougoughly and then responded to.
    All, aggresivly worded posts are going to do is push those who can articulate the mechanics of what is being done, and how it is being done, to the Point of withdrawing from the Converstation.
    And what that will do is Prolong the time frame in which it takes to find a solution.
    This has been a nagging problem for alot of folks for quite some time, however there are some "TICS" and "TOCS" along the Progression of Technology that have persistant error for Long periods. This is Inevitable. And Given the fact that A New Process was developed that Brought the HD Inigrated and HD capable cards to the Scene, IN conjunction with the Constant changes in Software Vairables and Main Line hardware Form Factors over the last 2 years, growth pains are to be expected.
    It may just be one of these things that has to work itself out, in as that it may be of an Origin that no one has even thought of and if that is the case , One update or another for one thing or another could solve the issue for the mass majority.
    This has happened in the past with other Issues that were of great pain.

Am I defending anyone ? NO, I am not. Am I upset about this ? Sure I am, but then so are ALOT of Folks.

Catalystcatcher made a VERY GOOD point in a previous post. " Many of the folks who post here are Very Knowledgable, But there are also Folks here who just know they have an error" ( I quoted as close as I could remember without looking ).

Those Posts are SIGNIFICANT and they DO relate to the larger issue.

Why are they significant ? SIMPLE, because they document yet another Application that when used results in the errors for SOME folks. This is USEFUL Data In as much as ATI and Other Software/Hardware Bendors can then inquire of the Publisher of the APP and ask how it interfaces with Various Other software and hardware. This Data then helps to build a set of DATA that then can be refferenced against other DATA that has been Collected , thus allowing for possibility that a Common Point can be found.

If the crossroad can be found, a solution can be created and Dessiminated.

If you wish to FLAME me for what I have said go ahead, I for one am Not as you put it "To Cheap to get another Card for testing Purposes " and have as you put it "Got of myy Lazy A*** " Both by following every reccommended test and solution provided BEFORE I Posted here AND by Posting Detailed infromation as to the technical Specs of My Machines and by For good or worse Posting in GREAT DETAIL the Thoughts I had and WHY I had them and the Steps I had pursued in formulating MY OWN SOLUTION ( which worked for awhile then gave up the Ghost) .

Summary of my Thoughts here::: ANIMOSITY IS GOING TO SERVE NO GOOD PURPOSE HERE, IT WILL ONLY HELP TO EXABERBATE AN ALREADY TOUCHY ISSUE.

8. mrps2man

mrps2man New Member

Try this!

Aside from being an interesting technical curiosity, I'd like everybody to try the following "workaround" and report back as its quite interesting:

Put your computer to sleep every time that your system shows the driver recovery message for the second time (indicating an imminent BSOD).

This was working for me until I stupidly purchased a second, lower-end same generation ATI card and put it in my second PCIe slot to drive a third monitor. Aside from the fact that I needed to fiddle with the BIOS for half an hour to get my machine to boot, standby does not work and ATI support basically told me that I could always buy a FireGL and that they would not provide support on the issue... Needless to say I'm not happy about that either, but in any case, try standby, as the whole process will save any work and only takes a few seconds. Also make sure that standby works normally before posting results.

I'm not sure what it means if this works for most people since system state is technically perfectly preserved in memory as far as I know. I'm anctious to see some results!

--Corey

9. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

Axmt
    I understand your point and I am not saying that everyone is cheap, or lazy. They know who they are!
    What I am saying just because me and some busted our brains in trying to solve this issue, doesn’t help when someone posts, “ oh, I got a crash playing BIO SHOCK” nor does it help when someone posts “hey, I just got a BSOD. These don’t help one bit, and if all want to help in finding this bug the more people that post like: ‘mrps2man’ and as I did, the more the ATI members can see the relation, or the origin as to where or how this error is related to the monitor signal, or ram or motherboard, or system type wise etc…
    As for you I am not here to flame anyone nor did I joined this forum to do so, what I do expect is that everyone pulls together and start being creative, do some changes to your systems, buy another card, or change operating systems etc.. Then post the results. Posting anything else is not going to help in any shape or form in solving this matter, no matter how many people post they got a crash playing a certain game, or running a certain program.
    Be creative and you will get more results than you think otherwise.
    B.M:)

10. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

Instead of working yourself up over other posters, maybe you should take your time to read what has been posted during these 42 pages.
    As it happens for my own deal, I have 3 cards that have been used, and I also wrote that WXP did not bring forward these errors.
    So be good enough to stop the ranting and behave like a grown up, and have the common decency to quit badmouthing what other posters may or may not have brought forward in the aim of helping in this thread.
    You merely act like you are the only one with brains in this thread, which to my pont of view, you have clearly proven the opposite.

11. FacialTurd

FacialTurd New Member

I'm having exactly the same problem, it is definitely something to do with Heat, my card was running at 93C a lot of the time, and my system would crash frequently, though I found a solution to the heat and my system was not crashing as often.

12. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

I can see who is getting defensive, and to tell you the truth I do not care what you say about me, I have proven myself in this forum, in trying to solve this issue. If you want to help in solving this unknown error then stop concentrating on me and start posting other remedies that you think may help in this situation. So what you tested three cards on Xp, don’t stop there keep trying other things with vista.
    Be creative and you get more results than you think otherwise.
    B.M:)

13. mrps2man

mrps2man New Member

Try this Workaround

Hey, I found a "pseudo-fix" and I'd like everybody to try the following and report back as its quite interesting:

Put your computer to sleep every time that your system shows the driver recovery message for the second time (indicating an imminent BSOD).

This was working for me until I stupidly purchased a second, lower-end same generation ATI card and put it in my second PCIe slot to drive a third monitor. Aside from the fact that I needed to fiddle with the BIOS for half an hour to get my machine to boot, standby does not work and ATI support basically told me that I could always buy a FireGL and that they would not provide support on the issue... Needless to say I'm not happy about that either, but in any case, try standby, as the whole process will save any work and only takes a few seconds. Also make sure that standby works normally before posting results.

I'm not sure what it means if this works for most people since system state is technically perfectly preserved in memory as far as I know. I'm anctious to see some results!

--Corey

P.S. Badmouth and Rayline, you are both being childish. If either of you were to simply stop responding to the other then the other would automatically stop responding to you. This is hardly rocket science.

14. FacialTurd

FacialTurd New Member

Wow I'll try that next time, I already knew that if you Locked the computer or brought up windows security dialogue (Ctrl+Alt+Del) it would stop crashing, but would continue once you return to the desktop, another solution is Using RivaTuner to Force the fan-speed to 100% (very loud, 80% works too) to prevent ATIMKDAG from having to increase the speed

15. Biffes

Biffes New Member

Last update:
    I got a nice tdr-BSOD with my rmad card 2 minutes ago.
    ok, thats it- i am outta here...enough time wasted... i head back to winXP (thx for this fancy vista-incompatible dx10 card, Ati)

16. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

That sounds to me that the cards cooling isn't doing it job as it should do.
    If that works then ATI guys you might re-think the cooling??

17. FacialTurd

FacialTurd New Member

The Cards cooling is plenty adequate, i think it the Driver/Hardware interface maybe the Driver isn't setting the fan speed too well, because it works fine on XP

18. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

For that we need confirmation from the ATI guys but it does make sense for me. Since I don't have the newest ATI card I don't have these issues. And usually I tend to replace the stock cooler with after market cooler that performs better. But if GPU's core temp is close to 100 Celsius when full load then it sounds like the fan control needs some adjustments.

19. axmt

axmt New Member

Interesting thought on the FAN SPEED issue. I have one question though, what about those of us who Use Water Cooling Solutions ? This is what I use, and my Temps are in the 85 to 90 F at Idle which equates to 29.444444 to 32.2222 C and the highest I have seen is 119 F under extreme load which equates to 48.3333 C . Both of which to my understanding are with in tolerances.

TEMETEUS82 , I have a few questions for you, are you running DUAL MONITORS in Extended Veiw ? Are you Using VISTA x64 ULTIMATE ? Which ATI CARD are you using ? and Which Driver package ( The 64 Bit Packages for VISTA x64 are from the 7.4 Cat to current ).

As I have stated I found some relief with an OLD X700 ATI card but the Performance is Lacking BIG time and with a 7900 gtx ( nvidia) I have found a few concerns in the realm of using an NVIDIA SOLUTION in an INTEL board Designed for an ATI solution. ( they can be worked around just a pain).

So, I see "I am not using the latest Card so I am not having these issues" and I am VERY interested .

Fianally BADMOUTH,

I was not getting Defensive, I was tring to help Calm the tone and Reiterate that ALL reports are of some use. And FYI I have tested Under XP both x32 and x64 as well as VISTA x32 and x64. I Own and Operate my own business which uses WORKSTATION SOLUTIONS both of ATI design and NVIDIA Design which DO NOT have these Issues. My Post here are in relation to MY HOBBY and MY PERSONAL COMPUTERS. As Such understand I have been Troubleshooting this in my spare time which as of late does not amount to much.

20. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

I can hardly think this is about heat problems. My card runs cool enough even during gaming events.
    I saw the posting about Riva tuner, and I have been trying ATItool in the same way.
    I configured it to run at fixed fan speed in the fan override menu, but even 80 or 100% fan speed did little or nothing with the reported problem (Atikmdag.sys).