Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I'm using Vista x64 (it don't matter what version) and I got X1950 Pro card. But I don't currently run two monitors but I'm getting one soon. And I use newest Catalyst drivers 8.4 :)

2. xengren

xengren New Member

I have solved my TDR problem once and for all..... I re-installed XP. $0 cost solution for me. Can't buy a new video card for a notebook. (And even if I could, why would I waste the money when the hardware isn't broken?) But, I am adequately dissatisfied that my next machine will be a Mac with an Intel video chip. And thus ends my Vista experience. I might come back from time to time to see if this problem ever gets solved. It will be funny if Windows 7 comes out in 2010 before it is solved. Hahaha.

3. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

Biffes: Do not give up that easy, there may be some solution to your problem, and maybe someone in this forum or in another forum may have a type of system as you, and or configuration that may help with your type of errors. Now I am not saying that it is going to help 100 percent, but if it can stop those annoying errors from 10 to 1 once in awhile then that’s dam good. In my situation my system kept crashing constantly and even in random times. I had to give up, since I kept coming home from work and pulling my wife and son from their computers because I could not do anything with mine, which was always being in testing mode.
    As for heat related, I have to say I am with Rayline TWB on this, however that does not say that all do not have a heat issue problem. Some do have heat related problems other than driver problems. However, that depends on their type of system and configurations as well. In my situation with the ATI HD 2600 XT that dam card ran constantly under and between 50 Celsius, no matter what I was doing whether it was running a graphics application or a 3d game. In addition, that card could not be over clocked, nor under clocked. I have tried that solution as well because in a forum that I had visited previously some users reported to have no errors occurring when they under clocked their cards at 20 points down. In short, some of these ATI cards are very unstable, and as in my situation the ATI HD 2600 XT was the top of the crown. For the record the nVidia GeForce 8600 GT that I am using now is a pre-over clocked card and it has been running smooth since day one.
    B.M

4. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

I agree that this can look like a possible cause for the errors that we experience. So if I was to bet 10$ on a horse, I would put it on this :)

5. Biffes

Biffes New Member

thx for your words, bad mouth. i will give vista another week.

i just did some testing: got 3 tdrs in a row while playing flash-games. as usual very random. maybe the problem is reproducable with the flashplayer (adobe failed to release a 64bit version :( )
    btw, i dont think this problem is heat-related. my temps are @ 34C (idle) and 66c (load).
    maybe some of the guys in here do have heat problems (i.e. tdr only while gaming) but i only have 2d crashes... So my bet would go for a 32bit/64bit-adressing issue.
    please, AMD/ADOBE/MICROSOFT get it done!

6. mrps2man

mrps2man New Member

Did you try going to standby while you were experiencing the TDR? That will stop it from crashing your system and resume will happen normally. It makes things a little less annoying...

7. axmt

axmt New Member

TEMETEUS82,

Thank you for the Info. When you get that second monitor, please let me know how it goes. BTW, are you using an DVI Cord to hook up the monitor and does your card have DUAL DVI outputs. One other Question I find Important to ask, who is the Manufacturer of the card ? Also, is it a 256Mb, 512Mb or something else?

I have heard that the X1950 tends to run Hot as a Norm, do you find this to be the case?

8. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

i just did some testing: got 3 tdrs in a row while playing flash-games.

Biffes: I do not know whether you are using IE/FF but if you are using IE 32bit then I suggest you get Firefox, since my wife system is a 64Xp and she had troubles with flash games, until I installed FF in her system, and that was a couple of years ago. She has stated she has no problems playing with her friends and flash games. But then again that is Xp64, but give that a shot anyway if you have not done so.
    Also make sure you have all the updates installed for vista, especially the compatible updates, it seems most people do not update their systems because of the fear that it is only going to make things worse.
    B.M

9. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Well the other will be connected with normal VGA cable. The card has dual DVI out and my current, and primary, monitor is using DVI-I cable. It has 256 Mb VRAM. Current GPU temp is 46C the card is Sapphire X1950 Pro ultimate edition it has Zalman cooler as stock. So that's why it stays so cool. And I got Antec P180 case.

btw. you can see my full specs by cliking the system specifications link. Its under my nick.

10. gwhiz2k

gwhiz2k New Member

Just reporting that I'm now 3 weeks without even a single TDR (I was having problems like the rest of you). Has anyone even tried this solution?
    1. Uninstall ATI Catalyst.
    2. Remove ATI software in safe mode with cat-uninstaller.exe.
    3. Re-install 8.3 driver only (without CCC.. No tricks, just download the second option from ATI).
    4. Upgrade to SP1.

Something here fixed my problem completely. I haven't even rebooted in 2 weeks.

Remember, if you uninstall the driver, and you still see a high desktop resolution, you are still using the ATI driver. Once the driver was completely uninstalled, I was down to a lower resolution, with NO Aero Glass.

Sorry to be repetitive, but surely someone else has also solved it this way?

11. mrps2man

mrps2man New Member

I'll definitely give that a try and report back, but I can tell you that SP1 has done nothing for me at all in terms of stability, and Microsoft and ATI changelogs don't suggest any changes that may have had any effect on driver stability in SP1 or in later drivers. My guess is that you were having a driver installation problem, while most people with problems here are related to other deeper issues somewhere.

The causes for all the driver recovery errors don't all have to be the same. I could create one by overclocking, by stopping the fan causing overheating, by breaking a driver, etc. All have the same end result but a different root cause.

12. Sunrazor

Sunrazor New Member

I can report after months of fiddling that switching to an Nvidia 8800gt removed all troubles completely. Sad.

13. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

That does not surprise me one bit, and as I said previously some of these ATI cards are very, very unstable cards.
    The only ones that should be sad is ATI technology themselves.
    I suggest ATI Technology board members had better rethink their architecture on some of these cards before they soon go downhill, in Vista wise.
    B.M

14. surgrns

surgrns New Member

Dell and Ati Card

Hello,

First off, I am not a computer tech so if I post something completely stupid, please over look it. I have recently bought a Dell XPS 420 running a 6600 quad core with 4 gigs of ram running at 800. I have Vista 32 bit install along with a ATI 2600 xt. I do not do any gaming except for the games that came with Vista. I do not use multiple monitors or play DVDs on my computer. I do not use photo or video editing software. Essentially, I use my computer for checking email, a little web searching, and writing an occasional document. Considering the system I have and my computing habits, I do not believe I push Vista or the ATI card to the threshold of their limts. My computer also reports the dreaded Ati driver has stopped responding message along with BSOD. ( The blue screens are usually 0x01, 0x07 or 0x08 which all seem to point to a driver problem.) I can usually cause a blue screen in one of two ways. First, if I allow the computer to go into sleep mode, I get a blue screen on wake up. Second, I usually get one when I turn on my computer. I know that I will get a blue screen on start up, if I have lines on the monitor on the start up screen. All screens before this screen are normal. I have downloaded all the updates from DEll, Micrsoft and ATI without any success. I have uninstalled the ATI drivers and reinstall drivers from 7. forward. I have downloaded just the driver and the driver and CCC package. Nothing has helped. The only thing that seems to work is if I use the Windows driver only. I have spoken with Dell who advised to use the Vista driver and just keep checking for updates to see if one eventually solves the problem. Not very satisfied with that answer and when I asked about going back to XP I was informed this would void my tech support. I have run all the built in Vista testing programs which report no problems with the software or hardware. In my mind, it seems when the system is put under a power surge (like on start up and I would assume with some of the games out there) the driver-Vista interface fails. Is there some sort of "circuit breaker" built into the card. After some reasearch, I have purchased a GeForce 8500 to try in my system. I am not bad mouthing Microsoft, Dell or ATI. I am just a casual computer user who just wants a reliable system. If the Geforce card works, I will not likely purchase an ATI product again. Yes, I know Nvidia has problems as well but when I google the problem I see more problems with ATI than any other company. Again, I am not trying to be offensive. I just want something that works and when asked I will have to tell my friends the ATI didn't work but the GeForce did. (If it does.)

15. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

Do yourself a favor and look at my postings from page 39 – 42, you will then decide whether you should stay with the ATI HD 2600 XT, or chuck it into the trash bin to be use as a vulture and seagull potty stand.
    I still regret spending $249.34 dollars on that card two months ago, and there is no way in hell was I going to send that card to ATI, only to give me another unstable card.
    B.M

16. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Hey guys I understand your frustration, but please, lets try and keep it a little more civil.

17. LukeK

LukeK New Member

has anyone a solid solution for the stopped responding error yet? my friend bought an ATI card (against my better judgement) and is having these hard locks. I would love to read the 40+ pages in here for him, but I don't have the time !

18. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

To tell you the truth friend I do not think there will be a solution to this problem for a long time. From all the forums that I had visited from around the world, from Mexico to Australia this type of problem existed for 5 years. It is now become worse because of the HD technology. It appears that most ATI card holders and I would say 40 percent of them report to have TDR problems do to having an HD technology card.
    This only shows me that some of these HD cards are very unstable, and that is why I very so much doubt that ATI technology will ever have a solution for all ATI HD users, until they rethink their plans on these types of cards.
    B.M

19. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

@LukeK:

Lets be a little more realistic here and say that the problem has been for approx. a year (more or less since Catalyst 7.3 - and with introduction of Windows Vista).
    To my apprehension this has never or rarely been a wast problem under WXP SP1 or SP2.
    Same goes for older ATI cards - this was rarely or hardly a problem with ex. AGP cards, nor did the most of us experience this with older PCIe cards, ie. X1900- series.

So basically this is a major problem with Catalyst driver, Vista and newer ATI cards.
    And no "LukeK" - the problem has not been solved yet.

20. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

Let me enervate for those that are not too keen.
    Driver has stop responding is dated back to the routine VPU Recovery which was added and introduce in the Catalyst 3.8 drivers in the year 2003.
    B.M