Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

Which has been corrected long time ago, but occasionally triggers in rare cases. So lets continue to be realistic.

2. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

Who said it was ever corrected?
    Maybe for some, but not for others!

And still today it does!

How much more relistic can I be!

B.M

3. axmt

axmt New Member

Rayline,
    Give it up. some folks just want to argue. I agree this thread has become anything but helpful and the constant retorts that bash anything posted have seemed to have driven those who could be of assistance out of here.

It is understandable for folks to be frustrated, even down right P*****d off, but resorting to kicking any post for the sake of kicking it is downright childish. If the intended effect was to drive The Guy from ATI away and make Others who might have an Idea not want to Post.. It appears that the intent was achieved.

4. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

Anything I have posted in this thread is ALL FACTS!
    Do people like to dream? Yes!
    Do people like the truth? No!
    Do people like to make a long story out of something? Yes!
    Do people like to get to the point? No!
    Has the ATI guy been helpful? No!
    Has the ATI guy been truthful? No!
    Has there been any solid solution for all? No!
    Is there going to be ever a solution for all? No!
    Are people disgusted? Yes!
    Are people angry? Yes!
    Have people spent good money on a junk product? Yes!
    Are there people who are happy with their junk product? No
    Are people annoyed about this error? Yes!
    Could this error been avoided? Yes!
    Has this thread been very helpful to all? No!
    Has this thread layout any good solution or foundation to all? No!
    Is this thread being stretched out for the sake of others entertainment? Yes!
    Has anyone in this thread posted any good solid lead to the problem? No!
    Has this thread been going on more than a year? Yes!
    So what’s the sense of anyone positing at all.
    B.M

5. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Badmouth. We are aware that you find the whole situation unacceptable. Which is your opinion and I think a lot of us understand the frustration and heartache. That said, your posting is just reiterating the problems we already know about to every user and really has very little to do with offering support or new, helpful information.

I would politely ask if you could lower your posting levels in this thread unless you find anything that could be deemed as helpful or constructive.

6. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

I accept!
    B.M

7. Mundino

Mundino New Member

Solution for some (maybe)

Hiya

I realize, that the below described solution to the atikmdag problem will most likely only work for those very few who incidently happens to use the same configuration as me - but maybe some are desperate enough to try it out on different hardware - and maybe they too are lucky. :rolleyes:

Platform/OS:
    HP HDX9070EO with an ATI Radeon Mobile HD 2600 XT. Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

Description of problem:

Problem phase 1:
    Clean install of Vista Ultimate 64 bit. At the point of installation HP did not supplied a suitable driver for 64 bit vista (at least I could not get it to work) so I used the 7.4 ati catalyst driver fixed up with Mobility Modder from this fine website. Everything was fine for 2 months - except that I got the atikmdag error when using an external display with extended desktop. But I could live with that.

Problem phase 2:
    Suddently I needed an external display. I downloaded the 8.4 ati catalyst driver from ati.com, fixed it with Mobility Modder and installed it. Now I got the atikmdag error roughly every 10 minutes - with or without external display. I failed to establish a specific pattern. Fullscreen gaming did not trigger the error etc.

Solution overview:
    I finally decided to visit HP United States - Computers, Laptops, Servers, Printers and more and - lo and behold - they now supply a suitable HP-modified catalyst 8.4 driver. Installed it and now everything works perfect - even extended desktop - with catalyst control center etc. There are no visible 'HP' thingies anywhere - just a functional catalyst driver.

Solution thoughts:
    This freely downloadable particular driver (see below) are ofc targeted to a range of HP portables. But since it is merely a catalyst 8.4 driver, one can maybe get it to work on other machines aswell if one are creative - or desperate enough to give it a try.

Solution details:
    1. Go to HP United States - Computers, Laptops, Servers, Printers and more
    2. Click 'Support and Drivers' in the top menu bar
    3. In 'Step 1' select 'Download drivers and software
    4. In 'Step 2' enter: 'HDX9070EO' (without the ') and press enter. (Obviously enter your own model number if you have a different HP box - else just enter the above).
    5. Select your OS. (Vista 64 bit)
    6. Scroll down to 'Driver - Graphics'
    7. Click on the 'ATI M76 XT VGA driver' (M76 is appearently a different name for HD 2600 XT and most likely a range of other ATI cards)
    8. Download the softpaq to your desktop
    9. Doubleclick the softpaq and follow the onscreen instructions. Be sure to UNINSTALL an existing driver first. If you have already installed the 'standard' 8.4 catalyst driver, the new driver will not install since it cannot tell the difference. So UNINSTALL first and REBOOT!!

If you have a HP laptop, you are home free (after unstall, reboot, install, reboot). If you have a different box, you must use your creativity.

Best of luck - and thanks for all the help on this great site. :lol:

8. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

Well, I might take offense at some of your facts. But I don't thinks so, it would be pointless to take offense.

Certainly, there is NO magic cure for the TDR problems. Why???? because TDRs are potentially caused by many different things.

If you wish to believe that we are withholding a solution, then that is your choice. But I don't see how we would benefit from that. Nor do we benefit from this kind of forum thread and the message it conveys to existing and potential customers.

This thread was stickied by the DH guys in the spirit of collecting better details on the TDR events in the hope it would make finding some solutions quicker. (BTW: Thanks Allan, Stu and other DH mods for putting up with this.)

In any case, a few other things I have said many times before.

We don't know why these mysterious TDR events occur. - FACT

We do know that sometimes the root of the problem is in hardware. - FACT

MS is watching the OCA data and investigating. - FACT

We are investigating and adding components to the drivers to capture better error event details. - FACT

Do I comment when these discussions get a little de-focused?...NO!.......FACT.

One other bit of advice that I will give again is that individuals should do what they can to avoid the TDR problems. If that means switching to a different GPU, then DO IT! Get some relief from the frustration. And some joy out of using your PC rather than getting ulcers.

BTW, I have started to experience TDR events at a rather annoying rate. They occur in the office on Vista 32. In serious numbers until I can restart the system. During the course of a work day, at the desktop I may get 1 TDR, but first thing in the AM returning from the screen saver will sometimes create serious TDR events.

I am in the process of trying to pin down the trigger event in order to get a solid steps to cause the TDR, but as most of you know the TDRs are very elusive and very annoying when they happen.

I also have a developer to help me determine what the heck is causing the grief.

Steve

At least I get paid for suffering the TDRs but believe me that does not make them any more pleasant.

9. Biffes

Biffes New Member

CATALYSTCATCHER, maybe you overclocked your system? :p just kidding :)

it is good to hear that you finally found a tdr cursed system. i really hope that your dev will track down the problem. good luck, m8s

10. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

:D I knew I would get a raft of helpfull tips regarding OC, bad memory, weak PSU, overheating, you name it. :D

But unlike many people who visit here I have read all the threads (ATI and NVidia) and seen all the tips already. Yes, 100+ pages in some forums.

In all honesty, I gotta say that the TDR is better than a system that simply hangs. Annoying yes, but at least I can finish the emails I was typing and attach event log details and dmp files for developer perusal :).

11. mrps2man

mrps2man New Member

Permanent Fix

I found a new permanent fix that should theoretically work for almost everybody, other than going to standby in the event of any repeated recovery messages. I have had ~4 days of uptime on my system without a single error, which is unheard of since I put it together early on in January 08' (As sad as that may sound!).

Its simple, but also strange and some may not like it, though it is totally software-based... At the very least, it should provide another piece of evidence to be analyzed. Here goes!

First, you need to download the FAH GPU2 client from Stanford University. Next, you'll need to install the client and run it. Upon first run for me, it threw an error message for me which complained that it could not find two *.dll files.

In Windows XP, the files will be in
    "C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Foldingdhome-gpu\"
    In Windows Vista, the files will be in
    "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Foldingdhome-gpu\"

The files you are looking for are amdcald.dll and amdcalrt.dll. Put those into your install directory and all will be well.

When you go to configure the client on startup, just leave it with its default settings unless there is any team you wish to fold for.

Once the client is running, you'll see it in the systray. If you open CCC, then you should see your GPU loaded. Your CPU will also show one core fully loaded. This is normal and won't inconvenience you as it runs with a very low thread priority. This is why I mentioned earlier that many may not like the solution. The reason it works is becaues it keeps the GPU loaded I'm figuring. The only real downside to this is that power consumption and possibly noise will go up. It will stop your error messages, though.

So those are the two "solutions" I've found thus far: loading the GPU or going to standby when you see the error. At the very least, these can constitute new pieces of evidence as to what is actually causing the errors. I'm not going to speculate further on it and I'll leave it up to you guys and CatalystCatcher to continue to diagnose this.

In the meantime, I'll keep scouring for fixes and solutions, and I'll keep playing. A friend is building an effectively identical system this week or next week. I'll surely do some hardware swaps there eventually as well. I'd sure love the product to work as advertised, though :rolleyes:

--Corey

12. LukeK

LukeK New Member

interesting fix Corey. My friend solved his problems by flashing his cards bios so the 2d clocks were the same as the 3dclocks.

13. mrps2man

mrps2man New Member

Yeah, flashing sounds like an interesting idea. I'm going to shuffle through various BIOSes to see if any resolve the issue. Only problem is that it'll take about 3 or 4 days without rebooting to truly know whether the flash helped. I actually checked techPowerUp as they have lots of graphics card flashing resources and found that my BIOS is actually an older version. I don't so much want to mess with clocks or voltages as I like the idea of lower idle power, but I am extremely interested in trying a new BIOS release from ATI. If anybody else having this problem is interested, you can check your BIOS version using GPU-Z. It would be interesting to get a little collection of BIOSes experiencing problems. In a perfect world, we would see all the same numbers popping up for every type of card. I'd be willing to maintain a working database of that data if anybody is interested.

My card is a Sapphire Radeon HD3870.

VER010.073.000.000.027243 / My existing BIOS revision
    VER010.077.000.000.000000 / The latest revision I can find

There must have been a lot of changes between the two given all the numbers they use ;) I'd be really interested to see a changelog, but inevitably I'm going to flash my card to the latest revision and report back a few days after I make the change (or earlier if it crashes while not loaded as before!). The flash will probably happen some time around Monday as I'm going to be away for a few days...

14. Ekard

Ekard New Member

I guess I should count myself as a member of those ready to sledge their pcs over this. Every time I try a game or overlay video on my tv BSOD. All leading back to atimdag.sys I am still in the process of reading this whole thread but one observation I watch a lot of anime and I can go hours without a BSOD but if I play something like smallville I get 40 before I finish watching an episode. Maye this has something to do with rendering specific who knows. I'm ready to smash my brand new $2k pc to pieces and go back to my old stable emachine. It has a radeon x700 thats stable go figure!

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 116
    BCP1: FFFFFA8005991010
    BCP2: FFFFFA600382C844
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000000002
    OS Version: 6_0_6001
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

15. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

@ mrps2man:

Sapphire Radeon HD2900 PRO (512 Mb).

Current BIOS version: VER010.060.000.000.026210 (which also seems to be the very latest version).

One additional question about the FAH client.
    I have been folding for many years, but have only used the usual FAH core client (CPU). I guess having this spinning would not help this cause since it need to be the GPU client rather than the CPU core client - am I right?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  16. Ekard

Ekard New Member

My sapphire toxic hd 3870 bios is at ver010.079.000.001.027079

17. Alcoholicdream

Alcoholicdream New Member

Hi first time poster here, brought to this forum purely because of this problem. I have it too, tried everything from XP, XP 64 bit and Vista. Tried the omega drivers but this problem only goes away when I use 1gb of RAM instead of 2.

Therefore I've tried RMAing my RAM, replacing my RAM. Nothing.

I hope there is a solution soon. :(

18. spearz

spearz New Member

First time poster here also. I receive this error intermittently (not after specific events or heavy CPU/GPU load). For example, it just happened while I was scrolling down a webpage using Firefox.

I've tried the latest drivers directly from ATI, and also from my system's manufacturer's webpage. Same result.

My ATI entries from MSInfo32:
    ATIMsinfo

Thanks a lot, it's really starting to tick me off.....
    SpearZ

19. mrps2man

mrps2man New Member

Error-Reporting Database!

Hi everyone!

I had mentioned that I'd take care and manage a database for everybody experiencing the TDR errors a few posts back. I figure it would be a great idea to get a collection of all the hardware specs in a single location in order have the most information possible. The clearer it can be presented the better!

To this effect, I've setup a website where you can submit your system specifications and such. I have not created the page to view and/or manage the data yet, but I'll have that ready in a few days. For now, please submit your system specs to the web page so we can either figure this out by finding trends in the data, or sending it to ATI!

The page is located here: TDR Error Community Reporting

If there are any problems or questions about the page, don't hesitate to ask. If anybody is a member on other forums with threads relating to this issue, please ask others to submit their information as well! Hope all goes well, its my first time using PHP and MySQL!

--Corey

20. surgrns

surgrns New Member

I have replace the ATI 2600 xt in my XPS 420 with the Geforce 8500 and my problems have resolved.