Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

Dual Display and TDR. Questions???

As far a dual displays go we have quite a number of users (including me) running 2 displays and getting TDRs for no obvious reason.

Disabling 1 display seems to cure or at least reduce the rate of TDR occurance considerably such as to take weeks of run time to be sure the TDRs have stopped.

Earlier in the thread someone (Sorry if I could find the comment I would credit the member) mentioned they continued using 2 displays and when the TDRS started if they disconnected 1 display the system would recover and stabalize.

I have tried disconnecting the DVI panel myself and indeed the "Infinite loop of TDRS" does stop almost immediately. (I am currently running in that scenario as I feel sure the a system restart will clear things for a while.)

If I reconnect the DVI I will immediately start with the TDRs again. And it appears the DWM and the ATI External Event utility (HOTPLUG detection) are battleing for CPU time. Other members in the thread got me thinking about AERO, the DWM and the ATIEEU.
    And what the heck is the M$ thing called TMM? (Transient Multimonitor Manager)

In any case I would like to ask other to try the test and see how consitant the outcome is. Or is this just another random occurance that some see and not others.

So for those who
    - have multi displays
    - see multiple consecutive TDRs

What happens when you disconnect a display asap after the TDRs start?
    - Do the TDRS STOP?
    - Does reconnecting the display trigger more TDRS?

2. SilverDev

SilverDev New Member

Got another one, but still rare enough that I'll stick with FAH for now

Well, another crash today, but I can handle once every 2-3 days. Much better than the 2-3 times per day I was getting before.

I'm getting out of my league with this question, but don't most of these newer cards have power management built-in? Could this be some variation of a conflict between the power management of Vista conflicting with the power management built into the driver/hardware?

PCI Express Link State Power Management versus ATI PowerPlay (or whatever on NV or S3).

Personally I already have Link State Power Management set to 'off', but Windows doesn't always listen to those kinds of settings. Can someone who has better knowledge than me try completely removing that feature to see if it has an impact? I know that some of the processor Power Management features actually can't be turned off without a BIOS mod.

Enjoy!

SilverDev
    -=-

3. SilverDev

SilverDev New Member

Yeah, it usually works

In my experience, it's usually dependent on how quickly you get that second monitor disconnected. Even just powering down the second monitor can occasionally be enough. Do it immediately after the first TDR and then wait 30 seconds and hope that the machine settles.

Good luck!

SilverDev
    -=-

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

May I assume that all ATI cards in Vista (32/64-bit) have random TDRs in when multiple monitors are connected???

5. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

I don't believe that is true and indeed I ran Vista for a year with 2 displays and an ealier graphics card without seeing a single TDR. Yes areo was on. I guess Vista is playing catch up as my event log has flagged 8000+ TDRS over the past 4 weeks.

So dual display is problematic for some but by no means an absolute issue.

6. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

ok. in a week I will be running two monitors on my rig so I'll let you know if I have any TDRs. :)

7. Heraklitus

Heraklitus New Member

The dual display is the magic problem for me.

I ran Vista 64 fine for several months without a single TDR. I then made two changes:

1) Added a second monitor
    2) Added 4GB Ram (had 2GB, so went from 2 1GB modules and to 2 1GB modules and 2 2GB modules). So I have 6 GB now.

Disconnecting my second monitor 100% solves the problem for me. Needless to say, this is not remotely satisfactory and I'm pretty damn angry about this whole thing.

I haven't tried removing the new RAM modules and connecting the second monitor to see what that does--I could try it I suppose. But that would be remotely satisfactory either.

I should add, I don't care who's fault it is, whether ATI or MS, but there is no chance that I will buy ATI next time. I'm also telling all my friends (online and RL) who build computers to do the same thing (that includes at least dozens of computer builders). I hope ATI realizes how much this is hurting their business and is devoting lots of resources to solving it. Even if it is MS's "fault", ATI needs to be working with them to solve it, as it makes their own product look bad.

8. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Just curious what ATI card you have?

9. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

I hate to 'burst your bubble', but nVidia cards are having the same problem, and the nVidia users aren't all that happy either.

Google nvlddmkm.sys and then atikmag.sys and compare the results. It just might make you re-think what you just said :D

10. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

An astute observation. Thankyou. And everyone can rest assured that all interested parties are investigating the issues.

Besides, at this point it is not about blame as this was never the intentional outcome. What can I say?....Stuff happens:).

It is about trying to cure/reduce the problem so that everyone can enjoy the limelight rather than stress over the darkside.

11. Espada04

Espada04 New Member

I have 2 systems both running dual displays. The system i'm having problems most while running dual display is the one using an ATI video card. the other system is using Integrated nVidia graphics 6150 and it seems to handle dual display alot better than the other system..

:S I have been wondering for the longest time why theres alot of problems running dual display. i dont seem to run into these problems running it in single display. :S but at leasr im not the only one experiencing this issue.

and I agess. Point blames won't solve the problem. I hope this problem gets resolved soon. this is rather an annoying issue.

12. OldBuzzard

CATALYSTCATCHER

I've joined the ranks of the "TRD Afflicted" too :tears:

Anyway, I also ran into another 'interesting' problem.

I had been running Vista Ultimate 64 using an X1950, and I wasn't having a problem. It was rock solid.

I just installed a Sapphire 3970 x2, and now I have the TDR's. I also had a BIG problem after one of the MS updates.

I wiped the Vista partition, did an install of VIsta Ultimate 64 bit with SP1 integrated, installed the MB, mouse, vid, sound and printer drivers. It was going OK, but I was getting the occasional TRD.

Then, I installed the MS updates. After they installed, on the re-boot I got a BSOD. It was the 0x00000116 one saying that the problem was with ATIKMDAG.SYS. It would BSOD, dump, re-boot, BSOD, dump,....

I booted into safe mode and did a system restore. There were 8 updates, so to narrow it down, I started installing the updates one at a time, and re-booting after each update, even if the system didn't request it.

The one that gave me the BSOD was KB938371 "Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems". Not much to go on, other than the 'KB' number.

Whatever is in that update seriously impacts ATIKMDAG.SYS to the point that it BSODs.

I'm hoping for a 'cure' as I've been waiting for some time now to be able to run FSX in all it's DX10 glory, but as it stands right now, it isn't gonna happen. :sigh:

Oh well, I've waited this long, so a little longer won't matter all that much

13. Co_OL

Co_OL New Member

Yesterday I reinstalled my notebook with Vista Business 64B and within a hour the ATIKMDAG fault on dual monitor configuration. Always when i unplugged the HDMI cable Vista will restore OK.

Now i disalbe AERO and everyting is normal for about 8 hours!!! before i turn off AERO alway the ATIKMDAG fault.

14. Heraklitus

Heraklitus New Member

I'm fully aware of that--I hold them equally culpable. ATI was unlucky enough to have me pick them first. If they had done a better job of making sure they were working correctly with MS, they wouldn't have me buying nVIDIA next time, despite the fact that nVIDIA has the same issue.

15. Heraklitus

Heraklitus New Member

Yea that's REAL nice. "Stuff happens."

Way to take responsibility. I love how the users have to do all this free QA for you guys.

16. Heraklitus

Heraklitus New Member

Sapphire 3870--bought it right when they came out late last year.

17. OldBuzzard

Ya know, for a n00b here with only 4 posts you sure have a crappy attitude.

At least WE have ATI reps here working with us to find the problem. All you are doing is whining like a 2 yr old, cause you 'want it now'.

Do us all a favor, go buy that damned nVidia card and quite wasting DH's bandwidth.

WTF are you going to do when you have the same issues with nVidia, go to Matrox?

18. Heraklitus

Heraklitus New Member

No, I don't want it now. I want it 5 months ago when I paid for it. So let me get this straight: you think being annoyed that the basic functionality for a piece of hardware doesn't work is acting like a two year old? EVERYONE should be ten times as annoyed as I am. By not being so ATI and MS gets the idea that they can get away with releasing junky software and junky hardware because everyone will just keep paying for it. For the record, I've posted to a couple of other threads (one on ATI's forums) on the issue giving my detailed problem, and I posted to the database the other fellow is tracking it. So I'm happy to contribute to help solve the problem, despite the fact that I shouldn't have to. And of course I have a crappy attitude. The attitude that this sort of thing is acceptable drives me nuts.

19. axmt

axmt New Member

Hey CATALYSTCATCHER,

I think I might have some info that might prove useful (mebe) . In response to the note you make about how DUAL MONITORS may be the root of the issue for some folks...

The Most recent RMA of a DIAMOND HD3870 512Mb has landed a newer Revision of the card in my lap ( FINALLY ) this was about 3 weeks ago,, so far with this newer revision,, I have not seen a TDR ( crossing Fingers ).

20. Zerosignal84

Zerosignal84 New Member

We have 13 PC in our office running dual screens and HD2400 PRO graphics cards that experience this problem.

They are all out of the box Dell XPS 420 systems running Quad Core processors.