Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Biffes

Biffes New Member

another update:

turned of the foh client to test some tdr stuff today. got a 5x tdr + bsod and tried to disconnect my crt...
    well, unplugging the vga connection (extended monitor) doesnt help. i will try to disconnect the dvi (main monitor) next time. (it was fixed with screws - d`oh!)

2. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

ok Rayline TWB, at least you've tried...

I Found something... for those who are still looking for a cure...

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=2060689

http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...&enterthread=y

Here is "maybe" another way to solve that problem... some ppl say it's working for them... anyway i didn't try it - but i thought i should let you know guys [​IMG]

** I'VE TRIED THIS - IT WORKS! i'm now with the default Core clock (disabled RivaTuner) - no BSODs for about 4 hours... i'll keep testing it.... very good news guys :D

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  3. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

I must say I am extremely excited now, as I have been able to play COD4 for 2 consequtive hours without a single TDR. If this fixes my problem I see no other solution than to come over and give you a big bearhug E-D@N....:)

4. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

SWEET!!! :D :D :D

glad i could help you find the solution...

enjoy ppl - works for me, straight 10 hours of gaming...

5. reggie14

reggie14 New Member

I had a continuous cycle of TDRs this morning. I have 2 monitors plugged in, a 1680x1050 via DVI and a 1280x1024 via VGA. I unplugged the DVI monitor and the TDRs stopped. When I plugged it back in they immediately started right back up.

I think that behavior is common on dual monitor machines with these problems, but I think CatalystCatcher asked people to try that and report what happens.

6. Heraklitus

Heraklitus New Member

I have the exact same monitor setup, only I unplugged the VGA instead and that solves it for me. Did you try that?

7. Heraklitus

Heraklitus New Member

I gave this a shot--still the BSOD for me. :(

8. Biffes

Biffes New Member

ok, another crash.... but i was prepared this time -come closer to the fire, fellows-

i got the ole 5xtdr+BSOD but i was able to disconnect the dvi this time. things went interessting at this point.

my sys: tft (DVI)= main monitor + crt(vga) extended display

vista set the extended display to main display after disconnecting the dvi and the tdr-chain was stopped (!!!)
    i checked the dwm.exe - nothing unusual

i reconnected the dvi and vista activated the tft in clone-mode. still NO TDR!

well, i opened ccc and set the displays to "swap displays" - tft changed to 1 still NO TDR!

i tried to set the crt to extended display by right click + select in the menu - it didn`t work- nothing happend but NO TDR!

i used the ccc to disable the crt and tried to restart it with extended mode. my old friend suddenly came back- yes, the tdr-chain started again (note: it started complete new -i.e 5x TDRs + Bsod) At this point i tried to reopen task manager to check DWM.exe but it was to late- vista gave my another nice blue shine on my face.....

CatalystCatcher, i hope this information will help you. Feel free to ask for some Mem/DX dumps.

9. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

Update:

Well, after doing the latest trick from E-D@N, I have played two evenings without a single TDR - so this looks very promising so far....:)

Update: Yepp - been playing for 3 evenings now without any hickups, so I would say this fixed my problem allright. ENORMOUS JOY !!!!!!! HALLELUJAH !!! :D:D:D:D:D:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  10. reggie14

reggie14 New Member

Actually, I got a cycle of TDRs this morning so I tried unplugged the VGA monitor instead of the DVI monitor. The TDRs stopped, but I just got a corrupt image on the DVI monitor. I'll try it again next time it happens.

11. gfish

gfish New Member

Has anyone tried the new 8.5 drivers? Performance increases, but have they helped to fix the TDR's? I have almost given up thinking that a fix will be found; this has been going on for too long with - in my opinion - little attention by the manufacturer's of these cards. I was using a 7600gs prior to the 3870 with no other changes. I never received this error before 'upgrading' my card.

This is not an inflammatory post, just one in the hope that ATi and nVidia will continue(?) to search for a fix. I believe it is in their interests.

12. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

The 8.5's didn't seem to help for me. My 64-bit install of Vista Ultimate is pretty much unusable.

I can open up the SOLITARE game...move it to the second monitor, and bingo...TRDs till the cows come home :sigh:

Thing is, I didn't start getting them until I replaced my X1950GT with a 3870x2.

It's a good thing that I can run multiple OSs, as if I was like the vast majority, I'd have to either settle for less performance by using the X1950 or going back to XP.

As it is, I still can't use the 3870x2 for what I got it for...DX10 in FSX :sigh:

Having been a programmer for many, many moons, I know what the ATI folks are going thru with this, and I'm damned glad I'm not one of the guys that are trying to get this fixed. This is the kind of thing that gives programmers ulcers. The hell of it is, once the fix is found, it will most likely be something very simple and basic, that has been over looked countless times.

Remember, the nVidia folks are having the same problem and I'm betting that the REAL problem is somewhere in VISTA, and ATI/nVidia are getting "heat" that they really don't deserve on this.

13. Aloriain

Aloriain New Member

Ok sounds like I have had the same, or very similar problem as you. I have been running Vista ultimate 32 for over a year with an x1950 card and no problems. I then downloaded some windows updates on the 21/5 and I am stuck in the same cycle you are. I am not that technical minded and so really dont know what to do. Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks

14. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

yo...

8.5 is working really great...

do a clean install - remove the older drivers using the ATI uninstaller - and reinstall again...

i can't say nothing because i found 2 ways of get away from this problem - but hey, these drivers looks even more stable then the 8.4...

don't give up yet guys..

15. Aloriain

Aloriain New Member

I already have 8.5 and have tried to do do a clean install but cannot do it from safe mode and it crashes before i can do it in normal mode :s

16. SypherNL

SypherNL New Member

8.5 still have the problems.. Occurred a few hours after the install (and a reboot of course).

Well, I've had it and I am quitting searching and trying to fix it. My ticket has been open for around 9 months now and its not getting anywhere. Every month I eagerly download, install and test the new releases but no luck. Every month I've filled in the Driver Feedback Form and nothing ever changes.

Because I only use the secondary output when I'm watching movies or series, I've decided to move this "business" to a Media Center pc. It's ordered and it will have an nvidia videocard and will run under Linux.

It started the day I've connected my HDMI cable. In the past 9 months there has been 3 weeks without a problem. I thought it was solved, but as every thing of course it stopped. It has never been really "OK" after. Or lets rephrase that: The problem is occurring more often then 9 months ago. At first it was around 1x a week. That was very bad, but I accepted it. After that it went from 1 to 2 times a week and at the moment it occurs ALMOST every day, to play it safe: we'll say: it happens around 5 times a week!

Sorry but I've had it, I'm fed up because I've spent a few hundred Euro's on a high end card (I've bought it the week it was released, and every review was positive). I think I will look twice when I buy a new PC or Videocard next time.

This has nothing to do with ATi because nVidia also has its share of issues but it is time for companies to start focusing on fixing things instead of squeezing the last drop of FPS out of your card and improve those things. The list of "known issues" isn't getting smaller, so why on earth are those guys focusing on adding things instead of fixing existing things?

Again; not purely ATi's fault its just all the major corporations seem to only think about their cash and not about their customers. Ok, there might be some that are not as bad as the others but still.

Well... I'd like to thank CatalystCatcher for his help. It shows that there are still ATi employees trying to think about the customer. I really appreciate your help and suggestions.

Sorry for my rant....

17. Encapsulated

Encapsulated New Member

Just bought new rig in sig. Fresh install (Vista64, CAT8.4), single HDTV monitor via HDMI: TDR's every 5-10min when playing games.

In diagnosing created real-time voltage log in Everest. Every TDR was preceeded by recorded DIMM and/or DIMMv voltage drop to zero. Doubt this helps much in currerent problem solving but offer it up to the more technically inclined as something further you may wish to monitor.

18. axmt

axmt New Member

Ok Everyone,, I have what will apear to be a STUPID QUESTION...

Does anyone here have the AGEIA PHYS-X DRIVERS installed in their Computer? This Driver is required by such games as GRAW and GRAW 2.. I ask as I have been running ok with the newest card I recieved From DIAMOND ( HD3870 512Mb ) UNTILL today... Now the only thing that has changed from yesterday to today is that I Installed the AGEIA PHYS-X Drivers into my computer,, and after about 3 hours I got an ATIKMDAG.SYS HAS STOPPED RESPONDING ERROR...

Just wondering here has anyone got this piece of software Installed??

19. Biffes

Biffes New Member

another crash today.... no chance to stop it by disconnecting the dvi this time...maybe my vga caused the crash this time... who knows...
    i checked for the phys-x driver and uninstalled it . i wonder if this will help but i am desperate enough to consult a voodoo doctor.

got any news from your amd-grease-monkeys, catcatcher?

20. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

OK, I finally got the Koolance waterblock for my 3870 x2 and have it installed.

SO, once more into the breech :D

Trying to eliminate as many issues as I could , I went into my BIOS and made sure that I'm running at STOCK everything. I had been using a BIOS setting that my Asrock MB has that does a mild OC on the CPU that had it running at 2.625. I turned that off so I'm running at 2.50 now.

Just to make double sure, last night I started Memtest86 before I went to bed. This morning after 6+ hours it was still running, and had found ZERO ERRORS. Now it was only on Pass 2, as I have 8GB to test, but at least it went thru one full pass w/o errors.

I did a clean install of Vista Ultimate x64 with SP1 intregrated. This was from the MS DVD, and not an nLited version.

Installed the MB, and mouse drivers first. Then I installed Cat 8.5s and Ultramon. I then enabled my 2nd monitor. Usually I would get a TDR while doing this, but not this time. Starting to look better already :)

After the re-boot, I started the SOLITARE game that comes with VISTA. Yeah, I know, not what one would consider a stressful application, but it would ALWAYS give me the TRD issue.

This time, sure enough multiple TRDs and then the 0116 BSOD. I re-booted, started normaly, and after the re-boot tried it again. THIS time not TRD...hmmmmmm. So, I tried the other 'sure-fire' way to get it on my system. I used UltraMon to shift it to the 2nd monitor. No TRD! I did a click and drag back and forth between monitors...still no TDR. OK, opened Mahjong..and did the same. STILL no TRD's looking good now :)

Re-booted, went into BIOS set the mild OC back on, and tried all above again. No TRD's :)

OK time to do the Updates. As I noted in another post, if I installed one particular MS update (KBR938371) it woule totally break my system, and got into a boot, BDOD (0116), dump, re-boot loop. I made wure that I UNSELECTED that particular up dadt, and let Vista 'do it's thing'.

On the re-boot, I got the 0116 BSOD, dump re-boot. On the re-boot, I chose to go into safe mode. This time, it finished the update. So, I re-booted to standard mode, and no BSOD this time.

Did the same simple testing as before, and ONE TRD which it successfully recovered from.

Now, I installed the "Update of Doom", KBR938371. You guessed it. Boot, BSOD, dump, re-boot :sigh: I chose safe mode, as before, but to no avail this time. With KBR938371 installed, my system is unusable. So I did a system restore, and I'm back to useuable.

Since I'm running XP Pro, and XP Pro x64 an this same hardware, and my system is rock solid on all of those installs, I'm finding it dmned hard to believe that this TRD issue is a hardware problem.

I know that some folks have cured it by changing hardware, but I think that in a lot of cases it is just the 'luck of the draw'.

We know that this issue isn't confined to any particular Vendor's card, nor is it confined to any particular card in any vendor's inventory.

Quite frankly, I am of the opinion that the problem is in the way Vista is handling TRD's. I think that it's just way too "aggressive', and that it's seeing some very minor timing issues and treating them as major ones.

Every component in every system has tolerances. I think that what's happening is that certain combinations of tolerances are triggering the TRDs and that MS needs to 'loosen' up the settings a bit.

Now, I've read here that TRD is based off of ATI's VPU Recovery application. I do notice that in Vista the VPU Recovery section in CCC doesn't exist.

Is, or would there be be a way to totally disable TRD? And would it be possible for ATI to do a beta/hotfix driver for Vista that would add VPU Recovery and see what the results would be for those of us having the TRD issue?

I know that I'd be more than willing to test that out, and I have no doubt that ATI would have no problem finding others that would do the same.

EDIT:

Oh, even tho they aren't as often now, I'm still getting TDRs, and IL2 1946 (an OGL application) is unplayable because of it. I haven't tried anything like HL2 since, it's pretty obvious that they will have the same problems.

One further thought. With my vid card running so much cooler than before, that would lend credence to the idea that it's a timing issue, as the performance of electronic components varies as their temperature varies.

Last edited: May 26, 2008