Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Raduque

Raduque New Member

OldBuzzard, I read somewhere you can change the timeout period that makes Vista decide how long to wait before it considers the gfx card hung, but I don't remember anything about it.

2. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/wddm_timeout.mspx

This link describes some registry values that are supposed to allow some control of the TDR variables. I have yet to try them myself, so I am not sure what kind of an Windows guru I may need to be in order to change the settings.

I would tend to agree, that, faulty hardware is NOT the problem, for those users who have been struggling with TDRs for a very long time and with a methodical troubleshooting approach. But as the TDR (aka VPU recover) is intended to save you from faulty hardware it does have a tendancy to lump everyone together in the quest for solutions. My guess is that the many HW fixes all are correct for the given scenario. But none are universal and certainly do not apply to many.....TOO MANY users. Hence the scope of the complaints and frustration.

Personally I have found that my grief all started when I began with FAH. The reason appears to be that I was greedy for points and would leave the system running 24/7. (Previously I would shut down every day.) I have stopped folding and also gone back to shutting the system down every day. TDRs are much reduced, but still occur randomly.

So "Luck of the draw" seems to describe things perfectly. Although, that is far from acceptable as an explanation as to why an OS or drivers are rendered useless on a random basis.

TDR/VPU recover/Watchdog timer is a very old concept in computer hardware/sofware. Just like a thumbs up signal after a crash at the race track. Thumbs up from the driver = OK don't panic and No thumbs up = EMERGENCY!!!! send the Firemen and Paramedics.....NOW!!!!!.

With Vista my question is "Did Vista miss the thumbs up or did graphics forget to signal????????????" This topic is still being investigated by all involved parties. Without a current solution, I am sorry to say.

3. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Yeah, I saw that reference to registry entries. I can get around in the registry, but I don't know enough to actually add entries. Now, if someone could make a .reg file so that I could add them that way....(hint, hint, REGISTRY GURUs)

As for Vista "missing the thumbs up" I think thats 'close'.

I think it's more like:

Vista: Hey GPU, I'm sitting in Joe's Bar, Stop down and I'll buy you a beer.

GPU: Sure, sounds good, I'll be down in about a 1/2 hour.

Vista: Damn, it's 1:29, and he's not here yet. Screw it, I'm outta here.

GPU: Damn, only 1:31 and he already left? Damned impatient bugger.

4. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

:DYep, so I used a metaphor with a racing performance angle, but you choose one with more of a liesure relaxation angle. Although, I don't recall many beer drinkers who had a stop watch to determine the need to wait and have another or leave. :D But if we are even in the right ball park, this kind of issue will be extremely difficult to unravel and resolve. My past experience tells me that sometimes you will only get a good explanation/understanding many years after the fact. (Rare but it happens)

In any case, I know that our graphics drivers are being adjusted to collect better info when a TDR event occurs. I know that MS is also working to the same end.

I must continue to poke at the hornets nest in the hope that at the very least a workaround can be developed to make the Vista/ATI experience a usable one. Which obviously it is NOT for many users.

At the moment, I have AERO disabled and I restart the system every day which gives me a reasonably useful system. HOWEVER, this is not a cure, it simply means the system is on time more frequently when some else is buying the beer. :)

I apologize to any one who thinks I am taking the TDR issue to lightly. That is NOT the case. But given the choices you might as well smile occasionally rather than have a stroke.

It must be obvious by now that whomever can resolve the TDR issue would do so quickly and collect all the positive vibes and free marketing value that would showered on the saviour. So until such time I recommend that users spend their energy on finding whatever workaround or alternative allows them to use their PC rather than swear at it.

I will be around.

5. OldBuzzard

Hey CC...

Whilst I have your ear...could you put a bug in someone's ear, and see if the Driver Folks, could make juse a wee change?

When you install CATs, the first thing it does is put everything into C:ATI\Support.. Now, that would be all well and good if everyone only had an OS on C:. However thaer a a LOT of folks that have more than on OS, and on partitions other than C:.

Could they change that so that ATI\SUPPORT... goes to the partition that you are installing the CATs on as opposed to hard coding it to C:?

It's not a big thing, but would make life just a bit easier for Old Farts like me that have OSs on partitions C: thru I:, and sometimes forget just which partition we are installing on :D

6. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

I'll see what I can do. I am aware that when your c: drive is not writeable the first thing you get is an error before it allows you to select a location. And I understand the multi volume boot issue.

7. Spyre

Spyre New Member

%SystemDrive% instead of C: in the code would be the ideal replacement :)

8. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

Well, I thought I was safe home after applying E-D@Ns magic tweak, but it only lasted for a week. Now, all TDRs are back in abundance again....sigh.....will it ever stop......

9. OldBuzzard

Well now, it's getting VERY INTERESTING :w00t:

Grace was kind enough to fix me up with the registry entries, and I played with them at various combinations of timings and TRD on/off.

Nothing seemed to help :sigh: OH, it would eliminate the 0016 BSOD, but I'm still getting crashes, desktop corruption, etc. It did slow them up a bit, and I did manage to run FSX for a bit, but all in all, Vista 64 ultimate is still not useable on my system.

Since I have the ALL of the various Vista "Flavors", I thought, hmmm...wonder if it's Ultimate. I wonder what happens in Vista 64 BASIC. So, having an open partition, I did a quick install of Vista Basic 64. Nope, same old, same old. TRDs till the cows came home. :(

That's the bad news.

HOWEVER, I said to myself, "Self, why don't you try Vista 32 Bit?". I replied, "Self, that sounds like a plan!".

So, without furthur ado, I wiped the I: partition where my latest Vista install was, and proceded to install a copy of Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

Long story short...IT'S WORKING WITH NO TRDs :eek::eek::eek:

Shucks, it even managed to run the FULL SUITE of 3DMark06!!!

Results so far:

Vista Ultimate 64 Fails
    Vista Basic 64 Fails as bad as Ultimate
    Vista Ultimate 32 bit runs like it's supposed to.

This is all on the same computer.

Now, why would Vista 32 work whilst Vista 64 fails on the same computer?

Maybe this will help the GURUS unravel the mystery.

10. reggie14

reggie14 New Member

I run Vista 32-bit and I get TDRs. Mind you, my TDRs are almost completely random and don't occur any more often when I'm gaming than when the computer is just sitting idle.

11. Biffes

Biffes New Member

Another Tdr today.... got the 5xtdr + bsod. i disconnected (while the crash loop) dvi= no joy. i disconnected the vga ( yes both monitors!) and the system got back. i reconnected the dvi and the system was still running.

i checked the load of dwm.exe ---> 100% load on both cpu cores @the first tdr loop

then i reconnected the vga- the tdrs came back - checked dwm.exe 100% load on 2nd core - nothing on the first core.

Something is really wrong here....

12. SilverDev

SilverDev New Member

Still running mostly stable

Thought I would check back and see if anything had changed.

I tried Ed@n's trick. Killed FAH and made that change.

Literally, within about 10 minutes, TDRs galore.

I know that my TDRs are at least somewhat related to heat. Whether heat is the cause or simply exacerbates another problem is for CC and his experts to figure out.

Running with FAH at about 50%, so that there is a constant load, I still get a TDR now every 2nd or 3rd day, but only if my 2nd monitor is plugged in and only rarely now to the point of crashing the machine. I take my laptop home from work each day and leave the 2nd monitor on the desk. The laptop can run for 70-80 hours, without the extra monitor, over the weekend and never get a TDR.

The unplugging of the monitor does work for me, but even waiting 5-10 minutes after yanking the VGA cord, if I plug the monitor back in, the TDRs start back up. However, it at least gives me a way to do a clean shutdown.

I had thought previously that I had to catch it quick, but as long as I pull that cord before the 4th or 5th flash of the TDR from Vista, that seems to be quick enough to avoid a total crash and Vista can correct itself.

Good luck!

SilverDev
    -=-

13. SunCat

SunCat New Member

atikmdag

I have been monitoring this thread for a while now and have tried the solutions offered here with no luck. I also believe it is somehow related to overheating. I've monitored the temperature with ATItool and once it reaches 60 I start getting TDR's and somewhere around 64-65 my machine starts to lock up completely. My config:

ATI Radeon X1900GT (512 MB RAM)
    Vista Home Premium
    2 G Ram
    Single monitor Display (although vista says I have 2, which I have assumed it is detecting the dual DVI)

I ran this config fine for about 6 months with no issues. This problem started about 4 months ago for me so when I googled it, I really didnt expect to find much about it. I was suprised at how old some of the threads were that complained of this.

14. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

Well, I have now formated and reinstalled Vista fresh again - so with all other software and drivers too. So let's see if this is any good in avoiding the TDRs for a while...:)

I should mention this I suppose:
    Configuration is the same as I used earlier.
    Hardware is the same.
    AERO is ON.
    Display drivers are not the catalyst package downloadable from ATI, but the drivers downloaded by Windows Update.
    The E-D@N trick is not applied.
    Folding application is not used.
    No applications to manage fan speed are used.

EDIT (RESULTS ACHIEVED):
    Nope, still TRDs with the above settings. With or without SP1 did not change anything. So a clean formated install do not help at all....:)
    My TDRs are still happening only when I play COD4.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  15. ValiumMm

ValiumMm New Member

Hi. Currently My Rig is a 3870x2 HIS. Im using Vista x64 and it has now got to the stage where i cant use it anymore. Sometimes it crashes just before i log in. If i manage to log in I will get ATIKMDAG stop responding continously. It used to happen random and i was fine with it but over the last week or so its just gone out of control. I cant even play COD4 anymroe which is why i bought it. It will crash out just loading, I have tried on XP 32 bit and i got blue screen of death and it said. Your graphics card is stuck in an infinite loop etc. And also said Dumping Physcial memory to hardrive and went from 0 to 100 then reboots. This was just loading up XP once in XP i got the same problems but just a blue screen of death not recovered drivers from not responding like Vista. So i figured it must be a Hardware problem not a vista problem or a 64bit problem. I put in my old graphics card a x800gt. And mmm no problems at all. I can run vista x64 bit for a week now and its only about 18 hours a day and not one error. i have run COD4 for a couple of hours, as it cant handle the graphics and i dont like playing on really low settings. Anyways the point is its not a software problem. Its a hardware problem and i think its either the Graphics card or the PSU as my x800gt just uses power from PCIe slot and doesnt use any power connections. I have a 850w Thermaltake PSU and i use a 6 pin and 8 pin power connecter.

Im going to try my 3870x2 in a mates PC if i can. Otherwise i will be sending the card back to see if its faulty.
    Ive used different Drivers, clean installs, have tried just the driver without CCC, have even tried updating drivers from go without using ATI just using Vista and updating drivers by find the LH6 or wotever the folder is called that gets extracted to C:/ATI. Anyways it always crashes and its always ATIKMDAG in Vista and ATI2DAG in xp.

Im using Riva Tuner and adjusting my fans and my Temps are always under 45 C. so i dont think its a temp problem

has anyone else tried useing a different card and getting different results or is it just me. Is there anyway i can tell if my PSU is giving enough power to my card or do i just assume. Any help would be great

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  16. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

The Thermatake 850W PSU should be adequate for your rig even though you don't say much about your other hardware components. So unless you have 10 disks, lots of ram-sticks and a really power hungry CPU, I think you'll be just fine.

17. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

the only way i know... is to underclock the GPU - using RivaTuner...
    works great for me...

playing COD4, Race Driver GRID, Halo 2 and many more...
    last TDR was maybe month ago... when i tried without the underclock...

the msconfig (BOOT) stuff is not really a difference maker...
    But the undercloking - gives me 100% working stable vista... with any drivers (now with the latest 8.6 BETA)

18. Bone_Daddy

Bone_Daddy New Member

Greetings,

I have been reading about the current sufferings with the Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error and I am also looking for a fix. My errors are happening when playing Command and Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath using ATI HD 2600XT PCIe x 2 crossfire in working order. My new build is 3 weeks old the problems just started occuring. I'm on the latest 8.5 driver (amazing btw) and the OS is Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

I did try the E-D@N trick but it slowed down my system to a grinding slow motion Matrix scene. *one question - do I need to tick the "Detect HAL" box as well?*

I'm also interested in underclocking the GPUs. I'm new(b) to the RivaTuner and would like to learn more. Also, with CCC, has anyone ever used the Auto-Tune feature? My current clock settings are: GPU Clock: 800MHz and Memory Clock: 700MHz. GPU Temp is 61 C.

I'm happy to provide more information to attain the best results or assist the pending solution.

I appreciate all who have posted and who have been bearing with this frustrating "thorn in our GFX pride".

Bone_Daddy

19. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

Riva Tuner - Underclocking
    --------------------------

Step 1 - Get into RivaTuner -> Customize -> Low-Level System Settings.

[​IMG]

Step 2 - Overclockin Tab -> Enable low-level Hardware overclocking.
    (it will open a window - click on Detect Now)

[​IMG]

Step 3 - Lower the Core clock to the very left of the blue line... (use keyboard)
    (for me it's 540MHZ - HD 2600 PRO, for you its differenet...)
    No need to touch the Memmory clock... though it will change automatically after standby.
    (for me it changed to 495MHZ from 500MHZ)
    check - Apply overclocking at windows startup.
    check - Restore clock freq. after suspended mode.

[​IMG]

THATS IT!!!

** i also fixed the Fan with RivaTuner to Auto mode... (not the real issue here)

@Bone_Daddy

about the BOOT in msconfig - NO - tick only the memmory and the processors.... change the processors to the maximum - and just tick the memmory as it is already on maximum. (but it doesn't really do the job...)

and you can't underclock using CCC... Try RivaTuner with the above instructions.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  20. ValiumMm

ValiumMm New Member

Ye i have pretty much given up, So ive sent it back to get tested and then hopefully get it replaced so i can start playing Again. I am pretty sure this is a hardware issue. I got the problem on Vista x64 and XP x86 and Ubuntu. I went to PC shop and used two PSUs one for my PC and one just for my 3870x2 to make sure its not a Power problem and it still doesnt work. My exact rig with my x800gt works fine so im pretty sure its a hardware problem with the Graphics card. And sif underclock,