Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Raduque

Raduque New Member

I can safely say this doesn't work for me at all. I'm running my card at 243/688 on the desktop (it adds too much heat to my room at factory clocks) and I just came back from a rolling TDR with 7 in a row and then a crash (not BSOD, I got the screen corruption and looping audio) while typing in FF. Pulling my 2nd displays VGA cable did nothing either.

I've given up trying to solve it, and I'm fairly sure it's not gonna be fixed any time soon. MS changed something in Vista and it wasn't a good change, and they didn't test it enough.

I suppose I can live with a rolling TDR and a crash once a month.

2. Bone_Daddy

Bone_Daddy New Member

@ E-D@N,

Thanks for the step-by-step. I'm going to give it a whirl.

On a side note, I played Kane's Wrath yesterday and the TDR happened but get this - it recovered and it went back to the game and played for the next 3 hours without mishap. Weird, eh?

3. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

it happend to me also... once...

"it was a miracle - i thought my rig was ALIVE!!! ALIVE!!!"

but 15 minutes after that.... a good looking TDR came and killed it :(

4. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Well, I've been TRD free for a week or so after doing the E-D@N tweak, so I'm thinking that fixed it for me. I've been running IL2 1946, Halo, and Halo2 with no issues.

One thing I've notices, is that using that I lose 1GB or so of mem. I have 8GB in my system, and that shows up in MSCONFIG< but when I check the box, to drops to 7168 :wtf: Even if I go back in and manually set to 8192, the system re-sets it back to 7168.

Oh well, I'll sacrafice 1GB to "The OS Gods" if that's what it's going to take to be TRD free :D

Anyway, I've done so many different things, tht I'm not sure if it's just one, of a combinations of things that I've done that cured it.

I guess I'll do another 64 bit install on the 32 bit partition I have and see what happens with just the E-D@N fix and see what happens.

5. Biffes

Biffes New Member

well this is interessting. we had another vista patchday and i installed today those 5 updates (the description was about security leaks- nothing special). my displays went crazy after installing em. they went black during the install. vista set my 2nd monitor to first device and deactivated the (old) first device after a reboot.
    maybe it is just a bug OR something has been patched in the dual device support. (fingers crossed) i will stop folding and check for tdrs the next days....

6. reggie14

reggie14 New Member

Unlikely. Vista installed those updates for me last night and rebooted itself. I already had a set of TDRs take down my system today.

7. assadij

assadij New Member

Solution:

A solution is to install XP drivers under Vista!
    Vista 32bit and 64bit drivers have problems!
    Follow the steps below, it's a manual process.

1- download the driver (driver only without the catalyst to save time and space) from Drivers & Software for your video card.
    2- Run the setup software to unpack files only. Be aware that you shall run into a problem stating the software does not like VISTA operating system. It's ok, because it already has unpacked the necessary driver files which you need! So exit the program by clicking "OK"
    3- Go to: Control Panel -> Add Hardware -> Click Next
    4- Select: Install hardware that I manually select from the list -> Click Next
    5- Select: Display adapters -> Click Next
    6- Click "Have Disk"
    7- Brows to the folder where the .inf file resides. Example: "C:\ATI\SUPPORT\8-5_xp32_dd_63030\XP_INF"
    8- Select the driver in the list and click Next.

XP driver shall be installed together with the original driver for Vista in your device manager. Keep them both. Do not delete or uninstall the first one as it will case other problems when vista decides to replace all your work back when you restat your system later.

I have not tried increasing my memory to see if it resolves. Because I didn't have any more memory to add to my system. I will get some and find out if that would also work. If so, then increasing the memory would be the ideal solution.

Thank you all.

8. along82

along82 New Member

I've had the same problems as the rest of you guys, random driver failures and crashes, thou more common while playing video and games. I'm using a MSI 3870, dual monitors, and Vista 64 Home Premium. View my profile for additional hardware specs.

Anyways, I've been watching this thread for a while now and thought to add my 2 cents. I've found two sure-fire workarounds for my system. I can either disable 1 monitor or disable Aero. I've tried running with only one monitor, but after using multiple monitors for years now, disabling 1 of them feels like I lost an appendage. So I ditched aero. It would be nice to have a permanent fix, otherwise I could of saved some money and got Vista Basic instead:hmm:

BTW, before vista, I was using XP Pro and everything ran smooth as butter without all of this TRD BS

9. Raduque

Raduque New Member

along82, I simply disabled Transparancy. Tentatively, I appear to NOT be TDRing (again).

10. along82

along82 New Member

Yeah, that's what I tried at first, but ended up having to switch to the Windows Vista Basic color scheme.

11. Biffes

Biffes New Member

turning off aero does the trick... but it feels like burning the money i paid for my vista ultimate.....

i played yesterday with cats AI a bit. i had serious problems with AI activated on OpenGL games. the CPU-load went off the limits while playing rtcw and other ogl games. seems like something is broken in there. maybe ai is causing the trouble under vista too. i know it is using d3d but who knows... aero is using some nice d3d effects and ai tries to "optimize" them. maybe AI cant handle 2 Monitors ;)

EDIT: Nevermind, got my tdr this morning with AI off. i think it is time to waste this vista incompatible crap.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  12. mrps2man

mrps2man New Member

I've been extremely busy for the past month or so and have been out of town more often than not. I have had the time to submit a ticket with ATI about a month and a half ago referencing this issue, however. I had gotten to Level 3 support and then I heard nothing for a month. I got a chance to call them yesterday and heard back from the driver development team: this error has not even been reproduced yet!

With this said, the CSR I spoke to also finds it obvious that this is a driver issue based on the data present in the database I'm (trying to, amidst a 2 day power failure and phone lines going down) maintain - thanks guys!

Given the fact that I've made it up the food chain at ATI support and gotten in touch with the dev team almost directly, I hope that more people can do the same. Hopefully we can queue up enough man-hours in phone support with this to get them to finally get bored and fix the damned thing! I've got a friend busy escalating now and hopefully we can more onboard. Here is what you'd need to do:
    • Register on the support page and register your card if you have not done so
    • Proceed to the "My Support" tab and submit a ticket. I have an example of my full ticket here which may be used as a guide for what ridiculous things they might throw at you
    • Respond to automatic response which should be received within half an hour or so
    • Continue to escalate though the various support levels until you reach level 3
    • Finally give them a call and request a status update; contact info quoted below
    The goal here is basically to get the driver dev teams to be hearing about this issue multiple times a day if at all possible. If we eat up enough man hours at the top end, hopefully somebody will realize fixing the issue might be easier! So yeah, I'm still getting TDRs, and I'm still alive.

gl hf

--Corey

13. okatz

okatz New Member

I think I mistakenly found a cure... I tried all the possible solution I find, but none off them work. I wanted to see if my problem is over heating... so I extended my monitor and open rivatuner in the extended screen with the hardwara window to see the core tamp when my games crashs, but some how when the rivatuner is open my game never crash!!... so i think it work to me... try it maby it work to you too...
    I dont have any idea why but it is working.

14. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

:) I have had conversations at fairly high development levels regarding the issue. Both hardware and software. The wheels are grinding, but without the repro, it is a very difficult proposition. I agree with others that while not a cure, disabling aero is the best workaround I have come across.

Keep digging, proding. I know I am.

CC

15. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

For some people that seems to work, but not for others.

In my case my 3870 x2 is watercooled, and I was still getting TRDs. The highest temp. I've seen this on this card get since I put the Koolance waterblock on it is 65C.

I can get TRD's on command. All have to do is undo E-D@NS fix.

@CATALYSTCATCHER

I find it strange that with as many people having TRD issues that you guys can't manage to re-produce it. But, I used to do maintance on microwave rasio systems in the USAF, and later I did maintance on unit-record (pre-computer data processing) equipment, so I know that reproducing a fault can sometimes hard to do.

Has ATI/AMD considered asking some folks that have systems that are guaranteed to TRD to loan them to you for use in trying to find first the cause, and then the cure? I'm sure that if you asked. there would be some folks (probably even local to you) that would be willing to do that.

16. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

To be accurate, it can't be reproduced on demand, except with test software that is specifically intended to hang the GPU.

However, I know that TDRs do happen in the QA area when they are testing alpha software. These ones are immediately isolated to specific changes in that particular driver and immediately fixed, or put to showstopper status until they are.

We have also resolved some TDRs in the released drivers, that completely eluded the QA process. These were related to the 2900 and playing specifc HD titles, which I guess the QA dude had already seen :) Just kidding

I also have a system (the one I am using now) that will go into a continuous TDR loop about every 36 hours when areo is enabled. On site and available to developers. I also have collected 8700 DMP files in the last 2 months. Thats a pretty high number of TDR/Day but I must admit that most of them occured over one weekend when I was not here to notice and yank the second display cable. :) The DMP files have only revealed the the GPU was at IDLE when the TDRs occured and that is not particularly helpful to anyone. I know it is idle because they will happen , at the desktop, when I am not even touching the mouse or keyboard.

Sadly I suspect even if I get a fix it will not be a global resolution. And please don't anyone forget that heat and numerous other issues can also cause a TDR. Probably the more spontaneous kind that happen while gaming.

BTW...OldBuzzard: When Cat 8.6 shows up let me know how the default unpack location works out (in theory it should now default to your %system drive%\ATI\~~~~~). I had to test it at home, because all the work systems are configured on the C: drive.

17. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

Hehehe, maybe I should send them my rig and even the COD4 CD. No problem to reproduce TDRs in my end. I have maybe 50 pr. day if I play COD4. Actually 124 TDRs in 10 days playing COD4 (total hours of gaming these 10 days is 34). Anyone better?????

18. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

GUYS!!!

GO AND DOWNLOAD 8.6 CATALYST!!! I DON'T NEED UNDERCLOCKING ANYMORE!!!

for the AGP HOTFIX - (IT'S NOT 8.5!! IT'S THE NEW 8.6!!) - new file name, new catalyst, even a new icon :p
    AMD Customer Care

played COD4 for one hour, after that Creed for one hour... with regular clocking.. no tweak or stuff - Pure ATi Drivers with CCC.

HAPPY!

19. Heraklitus

Heraklitus New Member

20. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

Well, the Cat 8.6 did nothing for me.......