Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Gigirizzi

Gigirizzi New Member

You should read what you post before doing it.

The first problem was solved in tha span of 2 posts and the second is for a laptop and applies only in a very specific case.

It is true that you have an ATI employee watching this thread, but I read trough all of it pages and I'm pretty sure he clearly stated that no driver fix is on the way (and propbaly never will be if you don't do what I suggested above).

2. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

look guys - it's true, i'm not an ATI fan or something nor nVidia..
    But nVidia won the "out of the box" contest...

I have 4 cards of nVidia - geforce 3 Ti, geforce FX, Quadro4 and QuadroFX... all of them works great... But these days we need DX10, and i'm still with my Very old RIG... and i need AGP - nVidia don't do DX10 cards for AGP...

ATI still (kind of) supporting it and therefore i bought the HD 2600 PRO AGP... yey... i was very happy for a day or two... and then BOOM, Crash... Boom CRASH! one after another... very dissapointed...

searched in forums, something about "infinte loop" in XP...
    thought maybe XP is the problem.. so i moved to Vista...

so no more "infinte loop", but we still have TDRs, BSODs.. crashes... and whatever...

i've solved my problem by underclocking the card... (i've made a tutorial here 2 pages ago...) and now everything works great! but i would love to see my card working without underclocking... as it should be... out of the box... pure natural ATI stuff.

I don't really know if its the Drivers fault - or maybe something in my system is not configured right... but what i know from researching... that even with a super mambo jambo PSU, motherboard, memory and all... you are still not 100% protected from TDRs... right OldB? (you tweaked your windows to get things work better..)

so it could be 3 things... or the Hardware (the Card / our rigs), or the software (Drivers of the card / Drivers for our Mobos), or the OS (Vistaaaaa / XP)... A triangle of death...

I do believe it's a driver issue - and that it can be solved, the 8.6 catalyst improved stability in my rig... though it also dropped the FPS, and give me blank screens for a sec and then returns sometimes... (Anyway I got back to 8.5 - they seem to work better...)

GUYS, try to focus on finding a way out of these TDRs, instead of throwing stones at each other... really...

3. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

I second that.

However, I have now ordered an 8800GT nVidia card, and I'll soon swap that with my HD2900Pro, and we'll just have to see what happens.

4. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

Agree 100% The TDR problem is way beyond the blame game. We need a solution or at least a good workaround. For me it is AERO = OFF to achieve a usable system. (Not 100% TDR free, but useable)

5. Gigirizzi

Gigirizzi New Member

I'm sorry but those are not solutions:

-Switching AERO off.
    -Underlocking the card at it's bare minum.
    -Not using two monitor displays.

First because, even with those, you do not solve the problem at all.
    You simply manage to get a (more or less) usable system.

Second, and most important, because if you buy a new product that new product MUST work with 100% stability at it's default settings and MUST be able to offer you all the services (two monitors, clock speed, Vista total compatibility...) you payed for.

I'm a lawyer in my contry and I was pretty serious when I talked about a class action.

I see a lot of ground for it and almost a guaranteed win for the customers.

ATI/AMD has chosen a very dangerous strategy it's competing only on prices - selling (teorically) equally powerful cards than it's competitor for much less money, but completely neglecting something that MUST be taken into account: quality assurance.

Addendum: if ATI wishes to continue selling their cards leaving the issue as it is they shoul add a very big disclaimer on their cards box, saying: "Windows total compatibility not guaranteed". I would be curious to see how many cards they sell with that disclaimer on the box.

Addendum n 2: I've notice that none (and I underline NONE) of the various sites that do graphic hardware tests, EVER mentions this issue.
    That smells very fishy to me as well.

Addendum n 3: If i were Nvidia (maybe some Nvdia guy is reading this...) I'll sue ATI as well for unfair competition as they're able to offer their products at a price they won't be able to if they had a serious quality assurance program running (it is indeed very costly, and i can see why they're cutting on it).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  6. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

Hmmm, for a lawyer, you are making some pretty rash comments.

In any case this thread was started in the hopes of accumulating sufficient evidence to deal with the problems. There is still no obvious pattern despite all the details.

Our investigation continues.

7. Gigirizzi

Gigirizzi New Member

Yeah you go on with your investigations...

I hope, for the customer's sake, that the class action gets running as soon as possible.

After that, maybe, the "investigations" will become a bit more focused :p

ps: Unfortunately for you, it's not my comments that are harsh... it's the law. And while ATI can easily ignore my comments I think it'll have an harder time with the law itself.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  8. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

ok guys let me make it abundantly clear. These forums are not a soapbox for you to insult people who are working during the day to try and fix issues.

I have very little tolerance for people who are rude, aggressive and try to make a point by shouting down other members of the community. If you have a point to make then please do so in a constructive and mannered viewpoint.

Anyone I see in here acting like a total arse, gets an immediate ban.

Incidentally if I see any further comments about "class action suits" those users will also be banned. This is not the place to be discussing this, if you want to take that further then do it elsewhere. Anymore on that will also result in a banning.

This is a support forum to help users, Catalyst Catcher is doing his best and in a company the size of AMD he is only one man attempting to report issues, at least give him some credit for trying.

I will be watching this thread closely from now on.

9. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

Yeah... I still see stones flying over my head...

Stop it dudes.. I'm not sure how going down on CatalystCatcher will help you from not having the next TDR..

ever since i've this card i'm on a mission to find the "Ultimate Fix" for me... Going and waste your time on saying things like ATI here... and ATI there will get you to nothing..

10. kayfam

kayfam New Member

Zardon I apologize to you and CATALYSTCATCHER and any other forum members who have been distracted by this. Seems I set this whole thing in motion using a very poor choice of words and I should have known better. Again my apologizes.

11. electronichead

electronichead New Member

well, i have probs with atikmdag.exe in the race game Grid from Codemasters. If i enable AA, even if its only level 1, it ll random crash during the race.
    Now, someone made a launcher tool with loads of options. I disabled postprocessing, and within the game i enabled 8xMSAA, and no probs anymore. The crashes i had with 8.5 and 8.6 drivers. Tho, with PP disabled the game looks different.

Phenom 9750, HIS 3870 512MB turbo, 4Gb DDR2 6400 CL4, Vista 32 SP1 Home Edition, 1200 x 1024

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  12. azirale

azirale New Member

Update to my post earlier, but just to throw a spanner in the works...

My computer had no problem at all when I first had it put together. After ~2 weeks I'd get constant errors, starting with the more graphics intensive games and working its way back to everything sull-screen 3D. There were updates to windows, but there was no change after uninstalling them, or after re-installing Vista from scratch.

Specs:
    Vista Home Premium x64 SP1 native
    550W PSU
    Gigabyte 790x chipset mainboard
    AMD Phenom 9850 quad
    Sapphire HD3870 X2 (one of)

Swapping out the 3870X2 for a 2400 Pro instantly resolved all the problems, and I didn't even need to re-install catalyst 8.6. I'm currently waiting for the PC builder to confirm if the card itself is faulty, so I'll update again when I get that info back. If that's the case, I've had no TDR (or is it TRD?) errors with my setup.

13. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

Well folks not sure, if anyone has tried the following solution that helped a poster name “AuroraDr”.
    The following is his 3-week-old post that was emailed to me from one of the thousands forums:

I solved all of my crashes by simply upgrading the monitor driver from
    my monitor manufacturers website. I have been running crash and error
    free now for three days now when I used to bluescreen five to six times
    a day.
    System:
    Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Harpertown” processors
    10 GB memory
    1.32 TB storage
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
    ATI TV Wonder HD 650 Dual Tuner
    Windows Vista 64 Bit with all MS updates.

He has not posted again so I figure he is one happy pup.
    As for me, I upgraded the 8600GT to a 9600GT and I have been swimming like a penguin ever since.
    B.M

14. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

It could probably fix the problem for a few, but I think having the latest drivers for ones hardware is essential in any way - all the time.
    Problem for me is that I never get blue screen of death - it just flickers, resets itself after a sec or two - and back to normal playing mode for some seconds or minutes. Simultanously one can hear the graphics card power down and up again.

15. sparkies

sparkies New Member

log off/log on a workaround?

Hi,

despite having installed the latest available ATI drivers on my ASUS F3Sa laptop with Mobility Radeon HD 2600 I get the dreaded 5xTDR followed by BSOD or complete hang if Aero is enabled while connected to an external display. memtest.org doesn't find a problem, whatever that means, but at least its not the memory.

The only thing that prevents it is to turn Aero off or to work without extended desktop which I just cannot do.

However, I came across a post here

(atikmdag error message/computer freeze. - Vista Forums)

where somebody suggested to simply let the machine boot, log on, then let everything settle down, log off and log on again. This does seem to prevent the crashes for me at least and I wanted to know if anybody here had tried this?

Thanks,

Sparkies

Could this

16. Biffes

Biffes New Member

the good is: i got my daily tdr today and i logged on and off for some time to get a extra long tdr loop (i was frustrated), then suddenly my 2nd monitor (crt) switched to 60hz. the system still crashed but it was a new behavior i discovered.

the bad is: there are no drivers for my tft. i found a winxp driver for my crt which wont run under 64bit.

the ugly is (sorry- i just watched the movie ;) ): we still have no solution... no, i wont turn off aero- it is like downgrading photo shop to paint.

17. juggalowang

juggalowang New Member

so i have this problem on both my hp with xp and my dell with vista is this purely and problem that windows users have if i install mac OS X on them will this go away

18. Spyre

Spyre New Member

You can make your own monitor driver with Powerstrip (as long as you have the monitor manual for the specs needed.)

19. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

Well I don’t think that would be a good idea, unless of course you have money to dish-out.

First, you will have to upgrade some or maybe all your system devices to support such an operating system. You cannot simply install a MAC OS X on a system that has a CPU that is not supported, nor a graphics card that is not a MAC edition.
    I assume you have ATI cards that are only windows compatible, because you have only XP/Vista systems, unless of course you have bought both windows and MAC edition cards.

If you really want to try out a MAC OS, I suggest MAC OS X v10.5 code name (Leopard), or you can wait until the new one comes out, which is due sometime next year called MAC OS X v10.6 code name (Snow Leopard). Those two MAC operating systems are very nice, have gotten great reviews and besides that will give you enough time to do some more research on those operating systems, before you make the decision in upgrading or moving to MAC.
    B.M

20. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

naaa...

I will chop my own hand down if the problem is really the monitor driver thingy...
    mmmm.. i wonder what's up with DNA drivers Biffes dude... have you tried them?

http://www.driverheaven.net/vista-radeon-display-drivers/162504-dna-8-6-vista-beta-s.html

if u did - share info..
    if not - give it a go... and again.. share the info :)

ohh.. and about the MAC thing - BadMouth - as far as i know, macs are now compitible with Intel CPUs... and you can find on the net stuff like "How to install MAC OS on your home regular non MAC.. PC"
    but then you ppl will find yourself working with Windows Virtually on the MAC.. or maybe use Parallels..
    and then get your TDRs there...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008